Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2015, 05:20 AM

1 posts, read 956 times

Advertisements

Haha! No, Hollywood isn't "too shady/dangerous", at least not in my opinion. I happen to live in East Hollywood (near Santa Monica & Western), have walked and biked to various places late at night, including Silverlake, Sunset & Highland, La Brea & Melrose, etc. and have not felt "in danger" or too afraid to walk (or bike) the streets of the city I grew up in. This is coming from someone who works on Beverly & Larchmont and leaves work around 11pm on weekends. Sure I encounter shady people in the area and we have a gang problem but if you stay out of the small streets then you'll avoid them, but if you're looking for a "glamorous" place to stay at I suggest you stay in Beverly Hills. P.S. I found this thread on google search and thought I'd share my experience with you. Inb4 strong 1st post

Last edited by yanagibrah; 04-24-2015 at 05:30 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2015, 05:32 AM

Location: Simi Valley, California - which was once part of the USA
350 posts, read 537,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yanagibrah View Post
Haha! No, Hollywood isn't "too shady/dangerous", at least not in my opinion. I happen to live in East Hollywood (near Santa Monica & Western), have walked and biked to various places late at night, including Silverlake, Sunset & Highland, La Brea & Melrose, etc. and have not felt "in danger" or too afraid to walk (or bike) the streets of the city I grew up in. This is coming from someone who works on Beverly & Larchmont and leaves work around 11pm on weekends. Sure I encounter shady people in the area and we have a gang problem but if you stay out of the small streets then you'll avoid them, but if you're looking for a "glamorous" place to stay at I suggest you stay in Beverly Hills. P.S. I found this thread on google search and thought I'd share my experience with you. Inb4 strong 1st post
Yes, because a gang problem isn't dangerous at all.
Totally fine area, just great.

Only glamorous neighborhoods don't have gang problems.

Totally.

Such logic.

Old 04-24-2015, 06:03 AM
PDF

11,396 posts, read 13,427,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yanagibrah View Post
I have no clue why people think to this day that Hollywood is dangerous.

Old 04-24-2015, 06:36 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,472,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Probably because of crimes like this

Hollywood Boulevard Stabbing On 'Walk Of Fame' Was Over $1, Say Police

Old 04-24-2015, 06:36 AM

Location: Simi Valley, California - which was once part of the USA
350 posts, read 537,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Maybe it's because of the prostitutes, gang tags, and drugged out homeless?

Just a thought.

OP, look Northeast of Hollywood in Los Feliz, Silver lake area or West in Weho.

Hollywood is only liveable and kinda safe in the westernmost part (west of La Brea) and North of Sunset. Which is only nice because of proximity but still not nearly as nice as WeHo (which has rattiness too)

Old 04-24-2015, 06:40 AM

rattiness lol

Old 04-24-2015, 06:45 AM

52,289 posts, read 52,723,379 times
The three mile thing is asinine...... open it up a few miles and things get more realistic.....

Old 04-24-2015, 11:33 AM

192 posts, read 249,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTraveler2011 View Post
I currently live in Beverly Hills and though my commute is short distance wise, it's a nightmare in reality.

As someone who prefers living 3 miles or less from work, this new job is going to make me want to move.

I'm not doing this "just because" ... I noticed that if my commute is longer than 20 minutes, it takes a tow on me. I get pissed off more easily, I get more road rages, it stresses me out, etc etc.
...Really? I commute 12-14 miles to work and it takes me 45 minutes. 20 minutes sounds like a dream.

Old 04-24-2015, 11:40 AM

192 posts, read 249,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffSanDimas View Post
Maybe it's because of the prostitutes, gang tags, and drugged out homeless?

Just a thought.

OP, look Northeast of Hollywood in Los Feliz, Silver lake area or West in Weho.

Hollywood is only liveable and kinda safe in the westernmost part (west of La Brea) and North of Sunset. Which is only nice because of proximity but still not nearly as nice as WeHo (which has rattiness too)
Huh? I live in Hollywood and have never seen prostitutes around here. There are homeless people near Sunset & Vine and Hollywood & Vine, but I rarely see them bothering anybody outside of asking for money.

Also, west of La Brea is basically West Hollywood.

These threads make me realize how people have really different views on safety and "nice" neighborhoods. Hollywood is not the prettiest part of town, but I wouldn't call it unsafe or ratty unless you're hanging out around Highland Ave late at night.

Old 04-24-2015, 11:43 AM

I think Hollywood is pretty cool, there's an energy there that you just don't find in other parts of the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles