Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2015, 11:50 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,648,684 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTraveler2011 View Post
Isn't Hollywood too shady/dangerous at night?
How about you get in your car and take a short drive? Seriously, it's not like you're moving from out of state, get in the car and go apt hunting this weekend. Check out the local supermarkets and see the clientele.

How does someone live in close proximity and not know an area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2015, 11:54 AM

4,918 posts, read 6,474,580 times
How about you move to Watts I hear its very safe for people like you, young professionals.

Old 04-24-2015, 12:14 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,310,371 times
Hollywood isn't dangerous like it used to be but its still "sketchy." I think OP would be uncomfortable there. But the part of Hollywood west of La Brea, east of crescent heights, especially north of Hollywood Blvd by Runyon (Yeah west of la brea is weho around fountain and smb, but north of fountain and east of crescent heights it is hollywood) is very high end and safe. Just be north of hollywood blvd, because even south by sunset is a little off.

If not, west hollywood's southern end/beverly grove (near beverly center) is good too.

Old 04-24-2015, 12:52 PM

822 posts, read 1,285,060 times
Other than Skid Row and parts of Santa Monica I think Hollywood is the third hell hole of El A. Drug dealers, runaway teens, people with shattered entertainment dreams, petty thieves, hardened criminals, hookers, pimps and psychotic people on the streets. Some of the individuals fit at least one of the categories cited. It's really a cessapool oh humanity and a far cry from Rodeo Drive and the good areas of El A. The song by Guns 'n Roses "Welcome to the Jungle" describes if accurately.

Old 04-24-2015, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post
Hollywood isn't dangerous like it used to be but its still "sketchy." I think OP would be uncomfortable there. But the part of Hollywood west of La Brea, east of crescent heights, especially north of Hollywood Blvd by Runyon (Yeah west of la brea is weho around fountain and smb, but north of fountain and east of crescent heights it is hollywood) is very high end and safe. Just be north of hollywood blvd, because even south by sunset is a little off.

If not, west hollywood's southern end/beverly grove (near beverly center) is good too.
When I lived in LA for a summer, I didn't think Hollywood section was bad at all, they have some issues with the homeless, mentally ill and some drug dealing problems but thats city living/life in any city. Some parts of East Hollywood or whatever they call it going down Western heading towards Koreatown I agree that is area can be weird and shady and sort of dangerous but still not as bad as other cities I have been to.

Old 04-24-2015, 01:12 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,310,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
When I lived in LA for a summer, I didn't think Hollywood section was bad at all, they have some issues with the homeless, mentally ill and some drug dealing problems but thats city living/life in any city. Some parts of East Hollywood or whatever they call it going down Western heading towards Koreatown I agree that is area can be weird and shady and sort of dangerous but still not as bad as other cities I have been to.
I wouldn't call it dangerous just sketchy. Really any part of Hollywood east of la brea, even the nice developments along Vine and Highland. Are you gonna be a victim of a crime, almost certainly not, but you will be exposed to things you wouldn't be in beverly hills.

Old 04-24-2015, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post
I wouldn't call it dangerous just sketchy. Really any part of Hollywood east of la brea, even the nice developments along Vine and Highland. Are you gonna be a victim of a crime, almost certainly not, but you will be exposed to things you wouldn't be in beverly hills.
I thought Hollywood section was interesting, its such an odd mix of every type of person. Probably wouldn't want to live near Sunset or Hollywood Blvd or Vine.. mostly because it can be too noisy, its fun place to visit especially at night you get to see people do stupid things and see how police deals with it. Usually in most US cities if you treat people well and are not caught up in drug dealing you are never a victim of crime. I lived in a few bad parts of town before never had a problem with anyone or got robbed. I treat everyone the same regardless of who they are. I actually think Hollywood part of LA is fun even thou it could be too gritty for a conservative rich professional, street people don't bother me.

Old 04-24-2015, 01:46 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,248,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
So you left your $100K job for another one?
now its 120k

Old 04-24-2015, 02:08 PM

925 posts, read 1,334,297 times
is this guy trolling?

i can only live 2 mile from my job

Old 04-24-2015, 02:23 PM

4,451 posts, read 6,802,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kasuga888 View Post
is this guy trolling?

i can only live 2 mile from my job
Not trolling just wants to live near work. This is ironic based on previous threads started.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles