Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2015, 04:55 PM
PDF PDF started this thread

11,396 posts, read 13,429,591 times

Advertisements

I'm curious to know what those who left LA (for whatever reason) miss about the city the most. I only lived in LA for 8 months, but I look back on that time with joy. I don't really wonder what would have happened if I stayed for longer, because I don't regret my decision, but LA still remains one of my favorite cities.

I was back there in January for a week and will definitely be making another trip out there this winter. I'm not sure if I miss LA itself, but a few of the things that it has...

-The weather: I really preferred the Westside weather though, which is where I lived. I would spend some time in other areas such as Central LA, Pasadena, etc. and just found it too hot at times. But I loved the low humidity and the chilly nights.

-The varied landscape: Watching True Detective has me nostalgic for the beauty of LA. You got mountains, you got the beaches. LA has one of the best locations in the world and it's very visually exciting.

-Living in a global city: Having access to so many different cuisines, cultures, etc. And anything you want to do, you can find going on in LA. IMO, only LA and NYC offer this in the States.

-Kings hockey: I became a Kings fan at the first game I went to. They have a great fanbase and the energy at their games is electric. So I still am a fan of them to this day and even went to 2 games when I was there last.

I guess those are the main things. There isn't anything particular I miss about LA as a city itself, but more so the key things it offers that make living there really easy. I don't think I would return though, because I make twice the money now that I would make in LA. I wouldn't be able to keep up financially. So I'm happy with where I'm at now. But if I was able to earn a really good salary in LA, I would definitely consider it.

What about you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2015, 05:04 PM

452 posts, read 620,314 times
What is it with all the food references people have? I don't understand it, I moved to LA from the Midwest, and I found the food in LA to be extremely lacking. It just doesn't have that good home country flavor like food and the rest of the country does. It just doesn't, except for some Mexican and Asian food, los Angeles is decades behind other cities like st. Louis, Chicago, and New York.

Old 07-27-2015, 05:06 PM

23,552 posts, read 24,064,911 times
I lived in SoCal for just over 20 years, starting in my college days. For me:

1/ Cost of living is by far, cheaper than here in the Bay.
2/ Great food at great prices.
3/ Diverse restaurants.
4/ So many things to do!
5/ Museum scene.
6/ Music scene.
7/ Beautiful women!
8/ The beaches: Santa Monica, Malibu, Manhattan, Redondo, Newport
9/ The iconic scenery of LA: Hollywood Sign, Santa Monica Pier, the beautiful sunsets, PCH, etc

Old 07-27-2015, 05:41 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,413,624 times
In no particular order:
1) Real mountains (not just some wimpy little 2 to 4K foot hills)
2) Real islands (not just some oversized rocks) - and you can actually get excellent diving at the islands (there is a reason you never hear about dive boats going to the Farallones)
3) A grade C+ freeway network (as opposed to a D- or F one)
4) A greater comfort level with the classic old Californio / Spanish heritage. Lots of folks up here try to turn it into something like New England West, in spite of our rich heritage of the old ranchos and mission / presidio towns that started everything. There is actually an cabal who actively despise palm trees for example, and other cabals who've been tearing out prickly pears (some over 100 years old and some much older), etc, etc. They say "it looks LA" - they confuse "looking LA" with old California heritage.
5) Certain cuisines that just are not done as well here - examples: Thai, Korean, Armenian, Kosher, and various American things such as really good French Dip Sandwich places, true Old West style steak places, and a number of others.
6) Real night life (I know I was making fun of sleepy LA on another thread, but trust me, beyond LA, especially elsewhere on the West Coast, you have no idea of the true meaning of sleepy).
7) People who don't take themselves so $!$!#! seriously. There is just something more light hearted and fun about how folks comport themselves in LA. It actually reminds me of my childhood here in the Bay Area, that is scary (e.g. what it implies about more recent directions here in the Bay Area).
8) A well developed transit network that actually covers more than 3 - 4 narrow corridors.
9) More bang for the buck in terms of food and even, to an extent, housing (mind you this is my Bay Area scar tissue showing - I know LA is still expensive ... )
10) Being able to get to ski resorts without driving half a day or more ... I realize we're not talking Squaw here but still ...

Old 07-27-2015, 07:05 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,176,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 909er View Post
What is it with all the food references people have? I don't understand it, I moved to LA from the Midwest, and I found the food in LA to be extremely lacking. It just doesn't have that good home country flavor like food and the rest of the country does. It just doesn't, except for some Mexican and Asian food, los Angeles is decades behind other cities like st. Louis, Chicago, and New York.
Let me guess: There's not enough fried stuff smothered in gravy for you.

Old 07-27-2015, 07:33 PM

21 posts, read 27,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
Let me guess: There's not enough fried stuff smothered in gravy for you.
I'm almost certain this guy is a troll. He said USC is a terrible school located "in a ghetto" and told OP to look into Cal Poly Pomona and La Verne or leave the state in another thread. That or he really just hates LA/California in general and is expressing that here.

Old 07-27-2015, 07:38 PM

3,830 posts, read 4,666,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
I'm curious to know what those who left LA (for whatever reason) miss about the city the most. I only lived in LA for 8 months, but I look back on that time with joy. I don't really wonder what would have happened if I stayed for longer, because I don't regret my decision, but LA still remains one of my favorite cities.

I was back there in January for a week and will definitely be making another trip out there this winter. I'm not sure if I miss LA itself, but a few of the things that it has...

-The weather: I really preferred the Westside weather though, which is where I lived. I would spend some time in other areas such as Central LA, Pasadena, etc. and just found it too hot at times. But I loved the low humidity and the chilly nights.

-The varied landscape: Watching True Detective has me nostalgic for the beauty of LA. You got mountains, you got the beaches. LA has one of the best locations in the world and it's very visually exciting.

-Living in a global city: Having access to so many different cuisines, cultures, etc. And anything you want to do, you can find going on in LA. IMO, only LA and NYC offer this in the States.

-Kings hockey: I became a Kings fan at the first game I went to. They have a great fanbase and the energy at their games is electric. So I still am a fan of them to this day and even went to 2 games when I was there last.

I guess those are the main things. There isn't anything particular I miss about LA as a city itself, but more so the key things it offers that make living there really easy. I don't think I would return though, because I make twice the money now that I would make in LA. I wouldn't be able to keep up financially. So I'm happy with where I'm at now. But if I was able to earn a really good salary in LA, I would definitely consider it.

What about you?
In no particular order:

- Lucky Boy
- Golden Deli
- In n Out Burger
- Legit al pastor street tacos
- November 1st through July 1st
- People that know how to drive over 70 MPH on the freeway.
- Paved roads & highways that don't have potholes that could swallow a bus
- Not feeling left out if I didn't know what WI football did that week

Old 07-27-2015, 07:39 PM

3,830 posts, read 4,666,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h4ppyl1fe View Post
I'm almost certain this guy is a troll. He said USC is a terrible school located "in a ghetto" and told OP to look into Cal Poly Pomona and La Verne or leave the state in another thread. That or he really just hates LA/California in general and is expressing that here.
The former. Though he also has no clue what he's talking about.

Old 07-27-2015, 08:27 PM

452 posts, read 620,314 times
I'm half way through life, and lived three places, I think I have enough notches on my belt to speak truth. Stop over rating L.A., especially just to sell yourselves your own delusions of grandeur. Again, 250,000,000 Americans do not live on California.

And about night life, I spent my 20's going to bed at 4 am, as did many of you. I was a dive bar connesiour, and Midwest dive bars are the hands down, funnest and most enjoyable nights on this planet. I absolutely love their vibe, their food, people, and random decor every owner chooses to have in his. No pretentiousness, no security or searches, no worries, just the best pepole and most fun on earth.

And I've driven by USC, and worked with grads. It is in a ghetto, it's in South Central. It's alumni are more intelligent than myself, and I made as much and sometimes more than them. And we all lost our jobs. Thanks Obama.

I tell you what, I'll give you the Hermosa Saloon. It's a great place, the bartender is from Iowa, and the Midwest is chock full of real hermosa saloons. Every corner.

Old 07-27-2015, 08:30 PM

1,616 posts, read 2,491,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 909er View Post
We sho' nuff do here south of the Westchester-Putnam County Line. Them's good vittles!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles