Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2015, 06:08 AM

3,368 posts, read 2,894,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperionGap View Post
Beer costs more in LA.
Here in Mke, New Glarus beer (or any other local brew) goes for 7.99 per 6 pack. I think it's about the same in LA. Trader Joe's your friend, they sell decent beers for 5.99...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2015, 06:15 AM

Nothing can beat a taste of fresh orange just plucked from your neighbors orange tree... I miss those fruits in my backyard.

Old 07-28-2015, 08:27 AM

3,830 posts, read 4,665,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brrabbit View Post
Here in Mke, New Glarus beer (or any other local brew) goes for 7.99 per 6 pack. I think it's about the same in LA. Trader Joe's your friend, they sell decent beers for 5.99...
I was referring more to prices at bars where you can get a craft beer on draft for $2.

You are correct that in the grocery store the prices aren't wildly different, but the price of a beer at a Santa Monica bar vs somewhere on North Ave is significant.

Old 07-28-2015, 08:28 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,472,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brrabbit View Post
You can find some good deals on beer at Ralph's and they have more craft beer .
Only thing is they make you buy 4 , 6 packs at a time . It's 30 percent off if you " buy in bulk "
They do this on wine etc too . I think on one it might be 6 bottles .

They should call it the the alcoholics discount .
" Great deals for parties .. Or your next bender!"

I've seen beer go up quite a bit recently at bars . Hardly any bars seem to offer good happy hour deals compared to the past .
I've actually seen places promoting " $6 well drinks"
Before $4 was pretty common for a happy hour deal and I'm not talking the 80s or 90s I'm talking like 2 years ago or less!

Old 07-28-2015, 08:32 AM

Quote:
I was referring more to prices at bars where you can get a craft beer on draft for $2.

You are correct that in the grocery store the prices aren't wildly different, but the price of a beer at a Santa Monica bar vs somewhere on North Ave is significant.
Where can you find craft on draft for $2?
I remember visiting Pittsburgh a couple years ago and they had cheap yuengling on draft . Some places did like $1.50 promotions crazy .
Florida has some cheap bar prices but they are behind on the craft beers versus LA .

Old 07-28-2015, 08:35 AM

861 posts, read 852,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
Let me guess: There's not enough fried stuff smothered in gravy for you.
He said home country food, you just don't understand

Old 07-28-2015, 08:44 AM

Quote:

Gotcha. Yes, in that regard, I can find a few drinking holes with prices like that in Milwaukee. However, it wouldn't be in any "good" places you'd want to be, something more of a local hood bar in a blue collar 'burb.
Prices in trendier bars though are quite expensive, I can recall seeing $6 for a beer in 3rd Ward bars (I brought my own flask of vodka ). So my question is more, don't you think you can find some really happy hour pricing in the Valley maybe?

Regardless though, there're certainly many things I like in Midwest, they outweigh in my mind things I miss from LA. But to anyone's (and mostly mine!) surprise, prices aren't that cheap here in the groceries, and I usually got better deals in Los Angeles.

Old 07-28-2015, 08:46 AM

452 posts, read 620,243 times
L.A. lacks real bars like this

Old 07-28-2015, 12:44 PM

1,616 posts, read 2,491,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 909er View Post
L.A. lacks real bars like this
Luckily, yes.

Old 07-28-2015, 12:54 PM

I appreciate a good dive bar too...but it's nice to have variety.
In L.A a lot of former dives have been converted..but there are still old standbys.

Example of a pretty solid L.A dive bar is this place
The Roost - 53 Photos - Dive Bars - Atwater Village - Los Angeles, CA - Reviews - Yelp

Here is one near me...although it was a bit too divey for me ..maybe just a rougher crowd the day I went
The Scene - 63 Photos - Sports Bars - Sun Valley - North Hollywood, CA - Reviews - Yelp

Another one in the valley...haven't been for a while but had real cheap drinks last time I went...doubt it's changed much
Casey

This is one reason people like L.A..variety.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles