Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2015, 04:07 PM

755 posts, read 675,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperionGap View Post
Did you grow up near Robinson Park?

I lived just around the corner (Los Robles and Washington), from late teen to mid 20's. Before that, I lived off Colorado on El Nido (work at FEDCO when I was 18) and I spent one year off of Marengo and Orange Grove...... I lived on the tough block

I go back there and visit all of the time, to see how far I have come. I Also lived in Compton off of Santa Fe and Myrrh when I was 17.......fresh from the Mid West.

I definitely survived LA during its mean years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2015, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coop01 View Post
There have them here in AZ... and Trader Joe's also.
I don't miss anything about Los Angeles.
Come on?

You don't miss the cool evenings after a 100 degree day? That is the biggest difference between Phoenix and the SFV and Santa Clarita, it gets hot there, but it cools off in the evenings. I miss that.

Plus access to all of the amusement parks and tree covered hiking versus desert hiking.

Old 07-31-2015, 10:20 PM

327 posts, read 398,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
I'm curious to know what those who left LA (for whatever reason) miss about the city the most. I only lived in LA for 8 months, but I look back on that time with joy. I don't really wonder what would have happened if I stayed for longer, because I don't regret my decision, but LA still remains one of my favorite cities.

I was back there in January for a week and will definitely be making another trip out there this winter. I'm not sure if I miss LA itself, but a few of the things that it has...

-The weather: I really preferred the Westside weather though, which is where I lived. I would spend some time in other areas such as Central LA, Pasadena, etc. and just found it too hot at times. But I loved the low humidity and the chilly nights.

-The varied landscape: Watching True Detective has me nostalgic for the beauty of LA. You got mountains, you got the beaches. LA has one of the best locations in the world and it's very visually exciting.

-Living in a global city: Having access to so many different cuisines, cultures, etc. And anything you want to do, you can find going on in LA. IMO, only LA and NYC offer this in the States.

-Kings hockey: I became a Kings fan at the first game I went to. They have a great fanbase and the energy at their games is electric. So I still am a fan of them to this day and even went to 2 games when I was there last.

I guess those are the main things. There isn't anything particular I miss about LA as a city itself, but more so the key things it offers that make living there really easy. I don't think I would return though, because I make twice the money now that I would make in LA. I wouldn't be able to keep up financially. So I'm happy with where I'm at now. But if I was able to earn a really good salary in LA, I would definitely consider it.

What about you?
I miss the crisp good weather all year round. But, I may be moving back soon!

Also, the people are very friendly, smart, and interesting, unlike other West Coast cities (Phoenix people are rednecks and dull, Vegas people are very dumb and party too much, Seattle people are boring and snobby, San Fran people are weird and cocky). I didn't see too much of these negative characteristics in LA (lived near Pasadena).

LA is the best, with the only exception being the goofballs in Hollywood, Beverly Hills, and other high end beach communities…and those areas aren't too bad because they have great restaurants and scenery. LA is simply the best city in the USA, especially in the Pasadena area.

Old 07-31-2015, 10:26 PM

337 posts, read 406,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by henderson702 View Post

Also, the people are very friendly, smart, and interesting, unlike other West Coast cities (Phoenix people are rednecks and dull, Vegas people are very dumb and party too much, Seattle people are boring and snobby, San Fran people are weird and cocky). I didn't see too much of these negative characteristics in LA (lived near Pasadena).

LA is the best, with the only exception being the goofballs in Hollywood, Beverly Hills, and other high end beach communities…and those areas aren't too bad because they have great restaurants and scenery. LA is simply the best city in the USA, especially in the Pasadena area.
I agree with you however I feel NYC is the best city in USA with LA a close second.

Old 08-01-2015, 12:09 AM

3,830 posts, read 4,664,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by henderson702 View Post

That's the key. Lots of places in LA are take it or leave it. Pasadena (and environs: LCF, Altadena, South pas, Sierra madre) is hands down the best area in the whole County.

Old 08-01-2015, 08:56 AM

I hated Pasadena/Alatadena when I was young. I love it now. It is like a different world, but only 10 miles from DTLA. Once they rebuilt downtown and renovated oldtown, that made Dena special.

Most people have no idea.

Old 08-01-2015, 09:51 AM

3,830 posts, read 4,664,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmac1 View Post
I lived just around the corner (Los Robles and Washington), from late teen to mid 20's. Before that, I lived off Colorado on El Nido (work at FEDCO when I was 18) and I spent one year off of Marengo and Orange Grove...... I lived on the tough block

I go back there and visit all of the time, to see how far I have come. I Also lived in Compton off of Santa Fe and Myrrh when I was 17.......fresh from the Mid West.

I definitely survived LA during its mean years.
Yeah that area in the mid 90s was pretty rough. I remember fedco I don't think my parents were members but I went with some of my friends parents from time to time.

Old 08-01-2015, 09:53 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,015,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperionGap View Post
That's the key. Lots of places in LA are take it or leave it. Pasadena (and environs: LCF, Altadena, South pas, Sierra madre) is hands down the best area in the whole County.
Agreed. I'm dying to move to Pasadena. Its a perfect blend of small town and city living.

I love Burbank too.

Old 08-01-2015, 10:09 AM
PDF PDF started this thread

11,396 posts, read 13,425,232 times
I love Pasadena. I also really like areas like Sierra Madre, although somewhere like that is better if you have a family.

Old 08-01-2015, 11:29 AM

327 posts, read 398,697 times
Yup, yup, yup, and yup. Monrovia is a very underrated as well. Arcadia is good, but too many Asians (60%), and it makes it an odd city…nothing against Asians (one store got busted for selling dead raccons in Arcadia…unreal), but when you have that high of a population of Asians, it can be boring…and its difficult to communicate with them, and they don't care about the USA like those that were born here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles