Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2017, 11:04 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,017,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
the real question is why do people that hate America, hate capitalism and hate western values want to want to spend all of their time in Western countries flaunting the wealth
Controversial post but I like debate. Those people represent a new form of capitalism (if you can even call it that), a capitalism that I think even most Americans would dislike. I think there is also an element to how their countries became wealthy, usually through corruption. I exclude the ones in America who most likely did not get their riches through corruption but hard work, no one is denying their hard work and ability to spend the money as they please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2017, 11:09 AM

4,663 posts, read 4,553,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
No, there is a bit of restraint even among our upper middle to rich classes. Not that that keeps Americans from not being gaudy but for the most part it's represented in Brooks Brothers, Porsches, Brighton hand bags for the older women, etc. It seems way more toned down. I don't see Trump's kids (except maybe Tiffany) go all out in their style. The Kardashians are reviled in the US for their gaudiness. And yes, that gaudiness is becoming a thing here in the States, as the States becomes a lot like the world in general.

People like luxury, I am not getting onto people of the East for liking it. So it's easy for people to point and say, look Americans do it too, my point is why so much? Why do some immerse themselves in it, live by it, all day everyday, luxury. It doesn't look good unless it's Gucci. I could sell them crap on a rope if I told them it was French. I mean they just eat it up.
I think my point was more that not EVERYONE from those cultures are like that, just like not all wealthy Americans are like the Kardashians. You likely just notice the ones that are like that BECAUSE they're the loud ones.

I live in a pretty affluent area, and have neighbors from the cultures that you mentioned. I can assure you that they don't act or behave in the way that you described.

Old 03-29-2017, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zero View Post
I think my point was more that not EVERYONE from those cultures are like that, just like not all wealthy Americans are like the Kardashians. You likely just notice the ones that are like that BECAUSE they're the loud ones.

I live in a pretty affluent area, and have neighbors from the cultures that you mentioned. I can assure you that they don't act or behave in the way that you described.
You're right. Of course not all are like that. I didn't mean to lump them all in. I was just wondering why do the ones that immerse themselves in luxury goods, the loud ones, from all countries, are usually from nouveau riche countries.

The Russians themselves even have a word for it, New Russians.

Old 03-29-2017, 11:17 AM

4,795 posts, read 4,826,547 times
Quote:
Controversial post but I like debate. Those people represent a new form of capitalism (if you can even call it that), a capitalism that I think even most Americans would dislike. I think there is also an element to how their countries became wealthy, usually through corruption. I exclude the ones in America who most likely did not get their riches through corruption but hard work, no one is denying their hard work and ability to spend the money as they please.
I'm pretty sure all of the uber wealthy ones in America got their money from oil and corruption. And once they have hundreds of millions of dollars they don't want to live in a hell hole anymore so they come over here or to London, Paris etc

Old 03-29-2017, 11:17 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,512,862 times
Quote:
No, there is a bit of restraint even among our upper middle to rich classes. Not that that keeps Americans from not being gaudy but for the most part it's represented in Brooks Brothers, Porsches, Brighton hand bags for the older women, etc. It seems way more toned down. I don't see Trump's kids (except maybe Tiffany) go all out in their style. The Kardashians are reviled in the US for their gaudiness. And yes, that gaudiness is becoming a thing here in the States, as the States becomes a lot like the world in general.

People like luxury, I am not getting onto people of the East for liking it. So it's easy for people to point and say, look Americans do it too, my point is why so much? Why do some immerse themselves in it, live by it, all day everyday, luxury. It doesn't look good unless it's Gucci. I could sell them crap on a rope if I told them it was French. I mean they just eat it up.
the American upper middle class and rich class have been rich for generations, their grandparents were rich and their great grandparents were rich and they learned from them.

The new rich in the east are probably the richest in their generation of families, the dont have grandparents who were rich and know how to manage their wealth so they just go all out.

Old 03-29-2017, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
the American upper middle class and rich class have been rich for generations, their grandparents were rich and their great grandparents were rich and they learned from them.

The new rich in the east are probably the richest in their generation of families, the dont have grandparents who were rich and know how to manage their wealth so they just go all out.
Excellent explanation. Very interesting post. This could be the thing I was looking for.

Old 03-29-2017, 11:23 AM

1,191 posts, read 1,585,588 times
I think its just different ways of displaying wealth. I just chalk it up to people coming from a different culture where wealth just looks different. I'm more amazed at the American upper middle class paying top dollar for things that look, for lack of a better word, plain. From "high end" designer jeans, to polo shirts, and the like. I see people pay top dollar for a garment because it has a specific name brand attached to it.

If you are going to pay an obscene amount of money for something it may as well look obscene!

Old 03-29-2017, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
I'm pretty sure all of the uber wealthy ones in America got their money from oil and corruption. And once they have hundreds of millions of dollars they don't want to live in a hell hole anymore so they come over here or to London, Paris etc
Wow. You're probably right. The newly arrived ones you mean. Yes, the oligarchs and their associates from Russia, China, the Gulf States.

I was talking about the people that fled places like Iran and other countries, and built themselves up. But there is a class of people from the newly minted rich countries in the east that do get their money from being associated or doing business with the corrupt oligarchs and escape because they know those countries will implode from all the corruption.

Very interesting yet controversial subject. But of course in our new culture we can't talk about this because there is a fear of generalizing an entire group of people. We have to act as though it's better to not admit these people exist to avoid generalizations.

Old 03-29-2017, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliDude1 View Post
I think its just different ways of displaying wealth. I just chalk it up to people coming from a different culture where wealth just looks different. I'm more amazed at the American upper middle class paying top dollar for things that look, for lack of a better word, plain. From "high end" designer jeans, to polo shirts, and the like. I see people pay top dollar for a garment because it has a specific name brand attached to it.

If you are going to pay an obscene amount of money for something it may as well look obscene!
Ha I am glad someone brought this up. Yes, I do agree that a lot of Americans who are wealthy tend to actively look for stuff that will make them look less rich. For instance, they love to buy Priuses or low level cars.

You would mostly likely impress an American with a new Corvette, an old restored Muscle Car or a Ford Raptor. That is going all out in upper middle class rich neighborhoods, but a Ferrari is almost looked down upon, sort of like saying, "why did you buy this overpriced thing"?

Old 03-29-2017, 11:32 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,512,862 times
Quote:
Ha I am glad someone brought this up. Yes, I do agree that a lot of Americans who are wealthy tend to actively look for stuff that will make them look less rich. For instance, they love to buy Priuses or low level cars.

You would mostly likely impress an American with a new Corvette, an old restored Muscle Car or a Ford Raptor. That is going all out in upper middle class rich neighborhoods, but a Ferrari is almost looked down upon, sort of like saying, "why did you buy this overpriced thing"?
Yea i know of a guy who lives in a million dollar house, has 2 brand new Dodge Vipers in his garage, and his daily driver is a 07 Grand Cherokee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles