Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2017, 11:35 AM

3,437 posts, read 3,285,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
I knew it was going to rustle some feathers. These are hard questions to ask but I know it's what a lot of Americans think. Payuten, they can spend their money anyway they please, the question was merely why so much? Why do they like it that much?

While everyone can be gaudy, no denying that, I rarely see upper middle class to rich American kids flaunt it to that extreme. There is no question, I don't even know why the false equivalences in order to remain neutral and virtue signal. It's not that it's a bad thing, but just why go decked head to toe in luxury brands? They even poke fun at this on the Family Guy cartoons. I mean in LA it's quite known for there to be gaudy eastern guys from Russia, Iran, and now it seems as though China is next.
for the jewelries, that could be explained by the fact that for millennia, Gold or jewelries, is the only form of investment people can have.

you could have seen the gold souk in Dubai, the street literally is yellow-orange for all the gold jewelries being sold
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2017, 11:38 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,006,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Yea i know of a guy who lives in a million dollar house, has 2 brand new Dodge Vipers in his garage, and his daily driver is a 07 Grand Cherokee.
I know guys like that and their mentality is that the luxury stuff from Europe or the like is too frou-frou. My parent's neighbor who is loaded like you wouldn't believe fits the bill. He could have a Ferrari and a Lambo in the same garage but he is always arguing with me about how overpriced or ugly or whatever those foreign cars are compared to American muscle.

Even when I see candid photos of the Trump brothers I am surprised they're dressed like upper middle class yuppies from Dallas. They're wearing a button down shirt with some jeans and Ariat cowboy boots! They're billionaires but they dress as though they're not from Manhattan.

Old 03-29-2017, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by payutenyodagimas View Post
for the jewelries, that could be explained by the fact that for millennia, Gold or jewelries, is the only form of investment people can have.

you could have seen the gold souk in Dubai, the street literally is yellow-orange for all the gold jewelries being sold
Jewelry is only half of it, I am talking Gucci loafers, Versace skinny jeans with the rhinestone swirl designs on the back pockets, Polo shirt with the large horse that takes up half the shirt (the only Polo style Americans don't tend to wear), Prada shades, Armani cologne (can't hate on Aqua di Gio though, it's my fav).

I mean why? That's what I mean decked head to toe, immersed in luxury.

Old 03-29-2017, 11:43 AM

13,561 posts, read 10,351,037 times
Quote:
Yea i know of a guy who lives in a million dollar house, has 2 brand new Dodge Vipers in his garage, and his daily driver is a 07 Grand Cherokee.
This could be more regional in nature. Up here in the SF Bay Area this is pretty common (and million dollar houses are not special, probably a very nondescript ranch house). Lots of tech people who are loaded will pretty much wear T-shirts and jeans, a North Face jacket, drive a Prius or a minivan.

Even homes in say, Atherton, are more subdued in nature than say Bel Air or Beverly Hills.

Old 03-29-2017, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
This could be more regional in nature. Up here in the SF Bay Area this is pretty common (and million dollar houses are not special, probably a very nondescript ranch house). Lots of tech people who are loaded will pretty much wear T-shirts and jeans, a North Face jacket, drive a Prius or a minivan.

Even homes in say, Atherton, are more subdued in nature than say Bel Air or Beverly Hills.
I am from Texas and the typical well to do tech guy you described is a staple in Austin, except maybe they'll wear a pair of cowboy boots with the black North Face fleece.

In most parts of the country, the luxury flaunting ranges but it's always subdued. I think of Brighton handbags for the women and maybe a luxury brand of the same button down shirt you could get at Target for less. I've yet to see a lot of rich Americans that go all out with the European luxury brands and make an attempt to make everyday an Instagram ready day. This is a staple of the newly minted rich offspring from parents from the newly minted East oligarch class that inhabit places such as Miami, West LA and NYC.

Old 03-29-2017, 11:55 AM

And when I said you could sell them crap on a rope, I wasn't kidding. In China, there is a whole market where rich fools spend their money on knockoff American goods that they think are luxury items. Last I've read people are selling them counterfeit knockoff whiskey because in China whiskey is seen as a luxury item to the rich there. LOL.

Old 03-29-2017, 12:07 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,490,401 times
Where i live middle class Americans spend all their money on multiple $1,000 t.v's , ipads, everyone has the latest model iPhone or Samsung smartphone, PS4's, those light bulbs that have speakers in them, etc... but will only spend $30 on a pair of shoes.

Old 03-29-2017, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Where i live middle class Americans spend all their money on multiple $1,000 t.v's , ipads, everyone has the latest model iPhone or Samsung smartphone, PS4's, those light bulbs that have speakers in them, etc... but will only spend $30 on a pair of shoes.
LOL, so true. I am the same way. My girlfriend is always harping on me to get a new wardrobe but I spend the money on gadgets, or trips to other places. I think it's typical that really rich Americans dress like joe schmoes. Look at Mark Zuckerberg.

Old 03-29-2017, 12:16 PM

Everyone's offered a theory but I think that it doesn't have to do with a country's culture per se. I think it's the new culture of the new corrupt oligarchical style of capitalism that's seen in nations such as Russia, China, India and the Gulf States. It breeds easy money, corruption and flippant disregard for legitimate business. Their offspring enjoy the fruits and flaunt their wealth with disregard.

After traveling to a lot of the worldly hotspots; Mallorca, Spain, Monaco, South of France, West Los Angeles, NYC, Miami, etc. there is a mix that is still classy, but also a mix that is seedy, shady and downright mafioso. A lot of this new money from the corrupt countries and the mafias that come from those parts have bought their way into the traditional classy areas around the world.

Old 03-29-2017, 12:20 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,342,342 times
I live in a verrrry white area.

These people seem to love luxury, too.

And plastic surgery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles