Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2017, 10:23 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,013,648 times

Advertisements

Upon my many trips around Los Angeles, to all the shopping areas I've noticed a difference between people from the East; Iran, Armenia, Russia, Israel, China, Ukraine, the Gulf States, etc., and Americans in their style. The former just love luxury clothing a lot, luxury cars, they love the most gaudy, flashy, overly bombastic fashion accessories.

I mean everyone loves luxury but they really love it. I've always wanted to ask but was afraid of being rude, and I don't mean to be rude, it's just something I've always wanted to ask someone about. Supposedly the pop psychology explanation around this is that immersing yourself in luxury brands is due to insecurity, IDK, or another explanation I've heard is because Eastern people have been denied luxury goods for so long, so it's quite new to them.

Random question, I know, but it's been gnawing at me since I made the rounds at the shopping areas around town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2017, 10:33 AM

3,437 posts, read 3,288,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Upon my many trips around Los Angeles, to all the shopping areas I've noticed a difference between people from the East; Iran, Armenia, Russia, Israel, China, Ukraine, the Gulf States, etc., and Americans in their style. The former just love luxury clothing a lot, luxury cars, they love the most gaudy, flashy, overly bombastic fashion accessories.

I mean everyone loves luxury but they really love it. I've always wanted to ask but was afraid of being rude, and I don't mean to be rude, it's just something I've always wanted to ask someone about. Supposedly the pop psychology explanation around this is that immersing yourself in luxury brands is due to insecurity, IDK, or another explanation I've heard is because Eastern people have been denied luxury goods for so long, so it's quite new to them.

Random question, I know, but it's been gnawing at me since I made the rounds at the shopping areas around town.
if you have it, flaunt it. if that makes them happy, who are we to question it?

how about those palatial houses of white americans? are these not flaunting their wealth too?

Last edited by payutenyodagimas; 03-29-2017 at 10:45 AM..

Old 03-29-2017, 10:41 AM

4,663 posts, read 4,551,394 times
Are these upscale areas? Couldn't you say the same things about some of the American rich ( Trumps, Kardashians, Hiltons, etc.)?

Old 03-29-2017, 10:44 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,504,427 times
Those are developing nations, they are experiencing great amounts of wealth and consumerism for the first time so they tend to go crazy. we have been rich for awhile so we are more chill about how we flaunt our wealth.

Old 03-29-2017, 10:46 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,504,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zero View Post
Are these upscale areas? Couldn't you say the same things about some of the American rich ( Trumps, Kardashians, Hiltons, etc.)?
The American Upper Middle class spend more money in real estate over cars and clothes, the Trumps, Kardashian and Hilton's are the rich of the rich those people have it all at ease.

Old 03-29-2017, 10:46 AM

509 posts, read 485,143 times
Outward appearances count for a lot in Asia.

Old 03-29-2017, 10:53 AM

I knew it was going to rustle some feathers. These are hard questions to ask but I know it's what a lot of Americans think. Payuten, they can spend their money anyway they please, the question was merely why so much? Why do they like it that much?

While everyone can be gaudy, no denying that, I rarely see upper middle class to rich American kids flaunt it to that extreme. There is no question, I don't even know why the false equivalences in order to remain neutral and virtue signal. It's not that it's a bad thing, but just why go decked head to toe in luxury brands? They even poke fun at this on the Family Guy cartoons. I mean in LA it's quite known for there to be gaudy eastern guys from Russia, Iran, and now it seems as though China is next.

Old 03-29-2017, 10:53 AM

4,663 posts, read 4,551,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
The American Upper Middle class spend more money in real estate over cars and clothes, the Trumps, Kardashian and Hilton's are the rich of the rich those people have it all at ease.
I still think you find a lot of that ostentatious display in the American upper-middle class (ex. Real housewives, or any one of those shows on bravo).

I think it's just more obvious in other cultures because you don't notice the ones who are allocating their money in other ways. It's not as easy to flaunt a fully-funded 401k or rental properties when walking around.

Old 03-29-2017, 10:59 AM

4,795 posts, read 4,824,614 times
the real question is why do people that hate America, hate capitalism and hate western values want to want to spend all of their time in Western countries flaunting the wealth

Old 03-29-2017, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zero View Post
I still think you find a lot of that ostentatious display in the American upper-middle class (ex. Real housewives, or any one of those shows on bravo).

I think it's just more obvious in other cultures because you don't see the ones who are spending their money on other things.
No, there is a bit of restraint even among our upper middle to rich classes. Not that that keeps Americans from not being gaudy but for the most part it's represented in Brooks Brothers, Porsches, Brighton hand bags for the older women, etc. It seems way more toned down. I don't see Trump's kids (except maybe Tiffany) go all out in their style. The Kardashians are reviled in the US for their gaudiness. And yes, that gaudiness is becoming a thing here in the States, as the States becomes a lot like the world in general.

People like luxury, I am not getting onto people of the East for liking it. So it's easy for people to point and say, look Americans do it too, my point is why so much? Why do some immerse themselves in it, live by it, all day everyday, luxury. It doesn't look good unless it's Gucci. I could sell them crap on a rope if I told them it was French. I mean they just eat it up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles