Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2019, 02:55 PM

1,203 posts, read 669,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
Historically, the WASPs were Republicans when the northern states voted Republican, but most WASP families today are Democrats, despite what someone on Wikipedia says.
The wikipedia quote is accurate. It said "Until after World War II the group dominated American society and culture and the leadership of the Republican party." I.e. until about 1968 Nixon election and the southern strategy.

Today, there are still wasps who are Republicans, but it is not monolithically so like it would have been in 1940. Today, I would suspect the majority of them are Democrats/Independents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2019, 04:46 PM

427 posts, read 368,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Your questions make zero sense. The first is non-sequiturial to itself. Hitler was insane. Delusional. Like a religious fanatic is delusional plus a number of personality disorders.

“Intrinsic ability to know good from evil” is an hilariously simplistic assumption that completely ignores science. Good and evil are entirely subjective to the individual organism facing choices requiring decisions ... and guided by perceptions anchored in survival design. Alligators consider eating human babies: “good” while we consider it “bad”. Lions and male chimps will kill cubs and babies of females they try to incorporate into their own pride / troop, because they are ‘intrinsically’ driven to propagate and perpetuate their own genetic lineage ... that’s “good” in their intuitive structure ... while doing so for humans has obvious “evil” association.

The world is but “2000 years”old? Oh my, you really have a case, don’t you?

Anyway, exactly what in the past 2000 years has “proven” your god? Nevermind. Rhetorical.
Jesus walked this Earth and was crucified 2000 years ago. The question at hand is if one believes he was God incarnate and resurrected.

Aside from that congratulations on your debate. You've just disproven the Bible, church, C S. Lewis, Timothy Keller, Ravi Zacharias..... It's a true wonder as to how all this stick around so long, and why people just didn't go ask you 1st?

Old 04-04-2019, 04:48 PM

427 posts, read 368,356 times
Quote:
Today, there are still wasps who are Republicans, but it is not monolithically so like it would have been in 1940. Today, I would suspect the majority of them are Democrats/Independents.
They got Trump in.

Old 04-04-2019, 07:10 PM

40 posts, read 28,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvxhd View Post
Phoenix is often full of people who don't want to put any effort into life. Relaxed is hardly the word I'd use. Phoenix is more a place you go to die; it's where you go when you've essentially given up on life; it's full of people who put on an artificial smile and pretend to be happy; it's the hospice of US cities. And you just can't seem to get it through your head that life isn't exactly peachy and wonderful there. To have the same lifestyle in Phoenix that I have in LA, I would need to make $5,000 less than I do now, but that's still asking a lot from employers when the pay isn't very high there. Quite in fact, I got a 40% raise moving here. So yes, financially it was a struggle in Phoenix, and the problem is getting worse there whether or not you want to accept that.

If you're gullible enough to buy into the reputed cheap cost of living, fine, enjoy your new endless suburb of strip malls, chains, and monotonous architecture. Now, from experience, what Phoenix really is full of is people who fixate on the cheaper housing and lower taxes... but oddly they never talk about any other virtue of Phoenix. If a cheap(ly made) house and lower taxes are all it takes to make you happy, knock yourself out.

WOW. Just got caught up.

As someone who has lived in California and Arizona, the above quote is totally accurate.

Phoenix, Scottsdale, Gilbert, Chandler and all surrounding areas -> Hospice is a fabulous comparison. Except in hospice one could be drugged out, which might make it more tolerable.

This area is HOT. Yes, a dry heat - but it is still hellacious. You can always tell how freaked out people are towards the middle/end of the 7 month hell period, because the road rage here (and not just on the freeways which have turned into parking lots) is scary. The honking and yelling and think about it........Hair-trigger tempers and many of these people have guns. And they open carry - gloatingly.

The shopping here is not good. There is ONE upscale indoor mall for this entire area - Scottsdale Fashion Square. There are some "OK" malls, but nothing to write home about, and they are pretty much circa 1980. There are some super nice outdoor malls - but those are only good for a few months of the year. There are some boutique stores, but...meh....

Valley fever is a real thing. People get it. So do family pets. Many people are also vitamin D deficient due to being indoors so much.

Scorpions are also a real thing, and so are rattlesnakes, coyotes, owls and javelinas.

The produce in grocery stores is laughable after living in CA. Bruises, gashes and brown mush is the norm.

Neighbors rarely talk. Streets are deserted. It's rare to see kids playing outdoors on a regular basis. Although it is refreshing to see some league sports at local parks, on occasion.

If someone moves here expecting Utopia - sorry. It's not here. For young families, the east valley would be the way to go. Cheaper and more family oriented with kid amenities. But it's farther out, still hot, gets haboobs more frequently and it is rare to see kids outdoors. I've never (since 2009) seen summer camps full of screaming happy kids at a local park over the summer holidays. Kids are raised indoors.

If your idea of entertainment is eating out, you'll be satisfied.

It's also true that wages here are not competitive. Especially with so many economic refuges. Employers are loving it.

Medical is so-so here. Yes, Mayo is here, but it's mostly a teaching facility with a few great doctors and many, many physician assistants, nurse practitioners and lots of students learning. The wait to get into Mayo is mostly multiple months, and forget about it when the snowbirds arrive. There are other medical providers (Honor Health and Banner etc), but the medical here is "lacking" in general. Don't compare Mayo Phoenis/Scottsdale to Mayo Rochester. Mayo Rochester is THE Mayo to go to.

K-12 Education is not so great. Some areas are better (Cave Creek, Gilbert, Chandler) than others (Scottsdale, Phoenix)

The homeless situation is increasing - in a big way. It's super sad especially over the hot months. Panhandlers and their dogs at most freeway on/off ramps and at many intersections. Every day. Social safety nets out here are awful.

Unemployment benefits are a joke. If you're employed and paying your way - don't lose your job. Top weekly benefit is $240/week - and that's for the "high wage earners."

There's no such thing as state disability. Just don't get hurt. Or get sick.

Property tax is not too bad, actually. A 400K house is about $3800/yr.

And if you think you can snag a cheaper older house, be careful. Termites. desert rats, mold, and...... HVAC units don't last forever. They require replacing way more frequently than in more moderate climates. Vents/ducts need professional cleaning frequently. Hope you like that "old house smell" - it's nothing like a new car smell. Smell it once and you'll know what I mean. ALL the old houses have a "smell" as soon as you set foot in them. I think the smell is there to detract from the outdated kitchens and bathrooms

One more thing, when buying an old house. If you google the address, you can usually see who owns it and then google their name. Amazing how many old houses are sold due to recent deaths. Many times you can find out if the person passed in the house, but not always. Some people don't care about this - others do. We've learned that many centrally located desirable neighborhoods mostly have houses available due to deaths. If someone lives in a nice area and they've been in the house for a while, especially if they are older/original owner, they usually don't sell. I'm not talking drive until you qualify nice (Gilbert, Chandler) - I'm talking desirable established neighborhoods (like McCormick Ranch, Gainey Ranch, Scottsdale Ranch).

There's limited culture, the museums are good for an hour or two - once. Some areas are pretty, but most are dry and beige.

There's no ocean and the air doesn't make one want to take a deep breath. If you do take a deep breath, after living here a while, you might find your lung capacity has diminished - no kidding.

I only wrote this stuff, just in case someone was on the fence about moving here. My advice is if you can make it in CA, stay put. The stresses in AZ are different from CA stresses, but at least CA offers other benefits that are simply not found here. AZ has a fair share of stress, but without quality of life benefits to compensate, other than AZ is a little bit cheaper (not a ton cheaper) and less traffic - but AZ traffic is playing catch up.

Old 04-04-2019, 07:13 PM

2,560 posts, read 2,303,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
But they will never find their Shangri La because the old saying that "if you're not happy here, you won't be happy there" is still true.
Not necessarily. Sometime, sure. Nothing is perfect, but there are places that people would rather live than CA and they can back it up with their own reasons which are perfectly valid to them as well as to many others who don't have any particular bias.

Old 04-04-2019, 07:20 PM

2,560 posts, read 2,303,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InqurngMind View Post
WOW. Just got caught up.

As someone who has lived in California and Arizona, the above quote is totally accurate.

Phoenix, Scottsdale, Gilbert, Chandler and all surrounding areas -> Hospice is a fabulous comparison. Except in hospice one could be drugged out, which might make it more tolerable.

This area is HOT. Yes, a dry heat - but it is still hellacious. You can always tell how freaked out people are towards the middle/end of the 7 month hell period, because the road rage here (and not just on the freeways which have turned into parking lots) is scary. The honking and yelling and think about it........Hair-trigger tempers and many of these people have guns. And they open carry - gloatingly.

The shopping here is not good. There is ONE upscale indoor mall for this entire area - Scottsdale Fashion Square. There are some "OK" malls, but nothing to write home about, and they are pretty much circa 1980. There are some super nice outdoor malls - but those are only good for a few months of the year. There are some boutique stores, but...meh....

Valley fever is a real thing. People get it. So do family pets. Many people are also vitamin D deficient due to being indoors so much.

Scorpions are also a real thing, and so are rattlesnakes, coyotes, owls and javelinas.

The produce in grocery stores is laughable after living in CA. Bruises, gashes and brown mush is the norm.

Neighbors rarely talk. Streets are deserted. It's rare to see kids playing outdoors on a regular basis. Although it is refreshing to see some league sports at local parks, on occasion.

If someone moves here expecting Utopia - sorry. It's not here. For young families, the east valley would be the way to go. Cheaper and more family oriented with kid amenities. But it's farther out, still hot, gets haboobs more frequently and it is rare to see kids outdoors. I've never (since 2009) seen summer camps full of screaming happy kids at a local park over the summer holidays. Kids are raised indoors.

It's also true that wages here are not competitive. Especially with so many economic refuges. Employers are loving it.

Medical is so-so here. Yes, Mayo is here, but it's mostly a teaching facility with a few great doctors and many, many physician assistants, nurse practitioners and lots of students learning. The wait to get into Mayo is mostly multiple months, and forget about it when the snowbirds arrive. There are other medical providers (Honor Health and Banner etc), but the medical here is "lacking" in general. Don't compare Mayo Phoenis/Scottsdale to Mayo Rochester. Mayo Rochester is THE Mayo to go to.

K-12 Education is not so great. Some areas are better (Cave Creek, Gilbert, Chandler) than others (Scottsdale, Phoenix)

The homeless situation is increasing - in a big way. It's super sad especially over the hot months. Panhandlers and their dogs at most freeway on/off ramps and at many intersections. Every day. Social safety nets out here are awful.

Unemployment benefits are a joke. If you're employed and paying your way - don't lose your job. Top weekly benefit is $240/week - and that's for the "high wage earners."

And if you think you can snag a cheaper older house, be careful. Termites. desert rats, mold, and...... HVAC units don't last forever. They require replacing way more frequently than in more moderate climates. Vents/ducts need professional cleaning frequently. Hope you like that "old house smell" - it's nothing like a new car smell. Smell it once and you'll know what I mean. ALL the old houses have a "smell" as soon as you set foot in them. I think the smell is there to detract from the outdated kitchens and bathrooms

One more thing, when buying an old house. If you google the address, you can usually see who owns it and then google their name. Amazing how many old houses are sold due to recent deaths. Many times you can find out if the person passed in the house, but not always. Some people don't care about this - others do. We've learned that many centrally located desirable neighborhoods mostly have houses available due to deaths. If someone lives in a nice area and they've been in the house for a while, especially if they are older/original owner, they usually don't sell. I'm not talking drive until you qualify nice (Gilbert, Chandler) - I'm talking desirable established neighborhoods (like McCormick Ranch, Gainey Ranch, Scottsdale Ranch).

There's limited culture, the museums are good for an hour or two - once. Some areas are pretty, but most are dry and beige.

There's no ocean and the air doesn't make one want to take a deep breath. If you do take a deep breath, after living here a while, you might find your lung capacity has diminished - no kidding.

I only wrote this stuff, just in case someone was on the fence about moving here. My advice is if you can make it in CA, stay put. The stresses in AZ are different from CA stresses, but at least CA offers other benefits that are simply not found here. AZ has a fair share of stress, but without quality of life benefits to compensate, other than AZ is a little bit cheaper (not a ton cheaper) and less traffic - but AZ traffic is playing catch up.

A 7 month "hell" period of heat. LOL. Soon it will be 12 months!! Well, the idea is to get away from the 3.5 months where the avg high is above 100. That's what I'll be doing this summer. I might even visit Laguna Beach during the 12 months of summer!!

Old 04-04-2019, 07:26 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,301,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burkmere View Post
Not necessarily. Sometime, sure. Nothing is perfect, but there are places that people would rather live than CA and they can back it up with their own reasons which are perfectly valid to them as well as to many others who don't have any particular bias.
You won't be happy in Arizona, but you probably will never admit it. You will just end up quietly going to the next great place, like you did after you got tired of South Dakota. If you just want a cheap place to live you should have considered southern Oregon, at least the weather is tolerable.

Old 04-04-2019, 08:28 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,185,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InqurngMind View Post
WOW. Just got caught up.

You had me half way convinced till you said people there are vitamin D deficient you get D from the SUN!!! Walking to your car will give you a healthy dose. Also I don't fear ghosts of dead people in houses.

Old 04-04-2019, 08:32 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,185,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
You won't be happy in Arizona, but you probably will never admit it. You will just end up quietly going to the next great place, like you did after you got tired of South Dakota. If you just want a cheap place to live you should have considered southern Oregon, at least the weather is tolerable.
Hear that Berkmere?? You'll never be happy in Az sleepy lady has spoken. Might as well go slash those wrists now

Old 04-04-2019, 08:56 PM

40 posts, read 28,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
You had me half way convinced till you said people there are vitamin D deficient you get D from the SUN!!! Walking to your car will give you a healthy dose. Also I don't fear ghosts of dead people in houses.
LOL. The problem is that it's so hot out that people go from their garaged cars to parking structures and walk via covered walkways to air conditioned buildings. Who sees the sun, other than through a window??? You think I'm kidding? HA. Must supplement with D or go deficient....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles