Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2020, 10:43 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,662,103 times

Advertisements

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2020, 10:53 PM

13,656 posts, read 9,714,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
People have had enough of being strung along. Any state or city that wants to extend lockdowns are going to have to define the end game. No more "one more month then we'll see" without defining exactly what they expect to see.
I wonder about that. Yes, there are increasingly vocal calls for concluding the shutdown. But the majority remains complaisant and compliant. I seriously doubt that Chairman Newsome will lift the shutdown on the 15th of May, even so much as opening the parks.

Just today I visited a county park. The heat-wave has brought out all sorts of picnickers, walkers, pushers of strollers. A particularly voluble fellow was regaling a good chunk of the park, with his tremendously interesting phone conversation. Kids running around, young couples holding hands. Seemingly a return to normalcy? And yet the playground and gazebos remain cordoned off, in some cases by visibly fresh tape. How many lives does Gavin hope to save, by preventing kids from going down slides?

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
You are taking this way too far and getting so worked up it's scary. People are "murdering" others by breathing?
We've already ascertained upthread, that breathing = murder. Perhaps there's nothing left to discuss? Nothing more that merits, ahem, wasting our breath?

Old 04-25-2020, 11:05 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,550,899 times
No, my lifestyle has nothing to do with this. You're making a lot of assumptions. Did you know that I still sent a check to my hairdresser earlier this month even though she couldn't color and cut my hair? She has two sons who worked at Staples Center; I'm sure her family is in a dire situation now. I'm going to keep doing this until things get better. I'm hoping and praying her other clients are able to do the same.

In addition, I raised my kids by myself from the time they were 12 and 9, with no extra help. I was living paycheck to paycheck, and when I got any extra money I had to choose which bill to put that money towards. I'm doing better now, yes, but I have never forgotten what it was like to live that way and how scary it was. I've been through several layoffs, and was even laid off myself once and unemployed for six months. This was back in 1993 when a lot of other people were in the same boat.

No, I haven't gone down Ventura Blvd. because I'm not going out except for grocery shopping once a week and walks around my neighborhood.

In addition, just because I loathe traffic and crowds doesn't mean I like being home all the time. I miss going to restaurants, and I miss getting together with my family for birthday dinners, etc. I miss going on road trips. I miss concerts, which by the way, will be the very last thing we get back. We are all suffering in one way or another, and I realize how fortunate I am that my complaints are minor compared to many others.

I'm well aware of the impact this is having on the economy, thank you. But please answer this question: How many people are you willing to see get infected or die in the name of saving the economy? Make sure you're thinking about someone you love getting sick and/or dying, too. It seems that a lot of people just don't understand the gravity of this disease until it hits close to home.

Also, let me turn around your own question on you. What would you use as a reopening date? How would you organize it? Open everything at once and hope for the best? Open here and there and see what happens over the next month? Would you close everything down again if the cases begin increasing exponentially, or would you wait until our hospitals are overloaded? These are important questions, and I sincerely hope a balance can be struck between people's health and saving what's left of the economy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Actually it does. From your many posts you work from home, and you're a single woman who is over 50 and you live by yourself. You have no dependents, you mentioned one son in his 30s. You also shared that you are a loner and prefer to be what which is fine.

So let's be real, this situation doesn't impact that much at all? In regards to finances or life in general?

Now I wonder if the company you worked for started doing layoffs(more are coming) and it happened to you, how would you feel ?

I know people(3 so far) who have lost jobs, two laid off, one furloughed( which is nice way of saying laid off and MAYBE we will bring you back). One is very depressed and I am in contact with a few times a week, over 50 laid off and starting to feel like "why bother any more", not good to hear that from someone's mouth who is one of the most upbeat people I know.

I know someone who has a special needs child, big issues at the home now that there is no school.

See I care about others beside myself(can't help it I'm Irish...LOL) lots of people are in a bad way. Since you live in the Valley have you been down Ventura Blvd? Seen the boarded up store windows? Now why do you think they did that?...think about.

Try doing some research, listen to the posters on here who have presented facts in regards to the percentages in regards to recovery, fatalities. The long term impact on the economy.

And waiting for a vaccine? That may not come? And what would be in it?

Educate yourself, and don't believe everything the media tells you.

Old 04-25-2020, 11:57 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,882,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
I wonder about that. Yes, there are increasingly vocal calls for concluding the shutdown. But the majority remains complaisant and compliant. I seriously doubt that Chairman Newsome will lift the shutdown on the 15th of May, even so much as opening the parks.
Some recreation areas were never closed. I predict that he will open some state parks. He has talked plenty about gradually reopening and spelled out some parameters.

Quote:
Just today I visited a county park. The heat-wave has brought out all sorts of picnickers, walkers, pushers of strollers. A particularly voluble fellow was regaling a good chunk of the park, with his tremendously interesting phone conversation. Kids running around, young couples holding hands. Seemingly a return to normalcy? And yet the playground and gazebos remain cordoned off, in some cases by visibly fresh tape. How many lives does Gavin hope to save, by preventing kids from going down slides?
I think those decisions are made by local authorities. Also, slides probably are a contagion risk. People touching objects soon after one another seems to be one of the primary transmission methods.

I don't regularly agree with the governor, but he's widely considered to be handling this well, even according to Trump. I'm tiring of the lockout - who isn't? - but I am more tired of people quick to deny and/or blame.

Old 04-26-2020, 12:01 AM

Quote:
What does that have to do with this discussion? Next you'll tell us that people driving unsafe cars will have accidents and injure more people, too.
Some workplaces that were considered normal before COVID-19 are now unsafe. Nail salons, for example. Maybe less so with adjustments, but still too dangerous when you think about it. (For example, it's completely unrealistic to know the current infection status of all customers.) The lockdown has been useful in giving places (such as restaurants) time to plan changes, but not all of them can upgrade enough.

Last edited by goodheathen; 04-26-2020 at 12:11 AM..

Old 04-26-2020, 06:41 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,219,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
I'm well aware of the impact this is having on the economy, thank you. But please answer this question: How many people are you willing to see get infected or die in the name of saving the economy? Make sure you're thinking about someone you love getting sick and/or dying, too. It seems that a lot of people just don't understand the gravity of this disease until it hits close to home.

If you're going to ask that question then also ask how many we have been willing to see get sick and die all along? Because every year up to a hundred thousand people die of contagious dieseases like the common flu and we haven't ever shut down anything much less everything over it. Don't act like we are suddenly heartless and cruel to consider the economic cost in the equation when we, including yourself, have always been considering the economic cost in the equation.

And once again, shutting down the economy is not a death-free alternative. Poverty kills more than disease in this world. WHO just days ago warned the world is on the brink of a "hunger pandemic" that would be the "worst humanitarian crisis since World War II.” And this crisis will heavily affect the children.
https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/...demic-70269400

Old 04-26-2020, 07:08 AM

6,675 posts, read 4,278,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
Anybody here see the Mayor on television yesterday? He stated that the longer people ignore the safer-at-home guidelines, the longer we'll be under lockdown. So, if there's anybody to blame for the extended lockdown that will begin its SEVENTH week, it's the inconsiderate people who have been ignoring the lockdown guidelines, which I see out my window every day. We could have been off of lockdown a month ago if the Private Pyles out there could simply do what they were supposed to do and stop screwing up life for the rest of us.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsUmP1PGBGE
Any extension on the lockdown should be based on the number of cases increasing, not the number of people Garcetti sees or thinks he sees outside.

If he’s extending this based on people outside, you have a real problem. You have a petty dictator, not a mayor.

All your whining and complaining about people doing what they’re allowed to isn’t going to change anything. Keep doing it. I’m enjoying the clips.

Old 04-26-2020, 07:21 AM

6,675 posts, read 4,278,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
No, my lifestyle has nothing to do with this. You're making a lot of assumptions. Did you know that I still sent a check to my hairdresser earlier this month even though she couldn't color and cut my hair? She has two sons who worked at Staples Center; I'm sure her family is in a dire situation now. I'm going to keep doing this until things get better. I'm hoping and praying her other clients are able to do the same.

In addition, I raised my kids by myself from the time they were 12 and 9, with no extra help. I was living paycheck to paycheck, and when I got any extra money I had to choose which bill to put that money towards. I'm doing better now, yes, but I have never forgotten what it was like to live that way and how scary it was. I've been through several layoffs, and was even laid off myself once and unemployed for six months. This was back in 1993 when a lot of other people were in the same boat.

No, I haven't gone down Ventura Blvd. because I'm not going out except for grocery shopping once a week and walks around my neighborhood.

In addition, just because I loathe traffic and crowds doesn't mean I like being home all the time. I miss going to restaurants, and I miss getting together with my family for birthday dinners, etc. I miss going on road trips. I miss concerts, which by the way, will be the very last thing we get back. We are all suffering in one way or another, and I realize how fortunate I am that my complaints are minor compared to many others.

Also, let me turn around your own question on you. What would you use as a reopening date? How would you organize it? Open everything at once and hope for the best? Open here and there and see what happens over the next month? Would you close everything down again if the cases begin increasing exponentially, or would you wait until our hospitals are overloaded? These are important questions, and I sincerely hope a balance can be struck between people's health and saving what's left of the economy.
Why not open some non-essential businesses now? What the difference between a department store and Target, Costco or Home Depot?

You make it mandatory to wear masks outside when people are within 6 feet of others and don’t let them in stores without a mask. You set up stations at the entrances of stores to check temperatures. They do it in Asia all the time and it doesn’t require stopping every individual. If they have a fever, you turn them away. You limit the number of people that can be in the store at one time like they’re doing now. Or you do curbside pickup at first like Texas.

You open restaurants at 30-50% capacity. There’s no difference between the people standing there waiting for their food or sitting and eating it.

If it goes well, you open barber shops, nail salons, etc.

The question is how much of the economy, businesses and jobs are you willing to destroy because of a virus that’s turning out to have a lower mortality rate than they thought?

Old 04-26-2020, 10:36 AM

Summer weather makes mandating outdoor mask wearing hopeless.

Temperature checking is a false sense of security. Too many infected people never get into definite fever territory.

Curbside pickup or drive-thru should always be used when possible. Customers shouldn't go inside unless they need to. I'm not in favor reopening restaurants unless they're open-air, very sparsely used and have brief dining time limits.

Old 04-26-2020, 10:50 AM

Quote:
If you're going to ask that question then also ask how many we have been willing to see get sick and die all along? Because every year up to a hundred thousand people die of contagious dieseases like the common flu and we haven't ever shut down anything much less everything over it. Don't act like we are suddenly heartless and cruel to consider the economic cost in the equation when we, including yourself, have always been considering the economic cost in the equation.

And once again, shutting down the economy is not a death-free alternative. Poverty kills more than disease in this world. WHO just days ago warned the world is on the brink of a "hunger pandemic" that would be the "worst humanitarian crisis since World War II.” And this crisis will heavily affect the children.
https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/...demic-70269400
Once again, there is no upcoming hunger crisis in the United States or LA in particular. Throwing in "what about the children" doesn't change that.

The United States, at least in major affected areas, did make people stay home during the Spanish Flu, and no vaccine came to the rescue. There's no such thing as "death-free," pandemics kill more than anything, and that word is very dubious if the USA (along with Canada, I suppose) is unaffected. Know your facts before ranting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles