Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 10:40 PM

7,728 posts, read 12,624,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full-Blooded American View Post
Reminds me of a time a guy told me he and his alleged son, who was with him, had just arrived in town the previous night and needed money for a motel but had misplaced his wallet the night before or something. I declined.

Six months later, I encountered the same exact man and son, who tried to use the same exact story.

It's really the BS that gets me, not the actual neediness.
Yeah I get what you mean. But I probably would fall for it. I'm so gullible and I have a weak-spot for kids. I wouldn't have gave them any money for a motel but I would have offered to drive them to the shelter or call one of their family members for help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2008, 10:41 PM

147 posts, read 383,461 times
J-Town!?!?

I lived in the Los Angeles area all my life and never heard that term.

I will google it.

Old 12-22-2008, 10:44 PM

147 posts, read 383,461 times
I see, also known as Juarez, Mexico.

Old 12-23-2008, 01:37 AM

956 posts, read 3,002,675 times
I thought J-Town was Beverly Hills. Oy.

Old 12-23-2008, 02:50 AM

488 posts, read 1,513,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmw2133 View Post
Truest post in this thread. My perspective on the homeless is 'there but for the grace of God go I.' That's not saying go give your money to everyone but there's certainly no excuse for saying or thinking 'we just need to exterminate these people.' Whatever one's perspective is, the vast majority of homeless people either a) have a psychological condition, b) have a drug or alcohol addiction, or c) suffer some kind of trauma from physical/psychological abuse.

At the end of the day, America and American cities don't have any real policy for dealing with homelessness, so the problem perpetuates itself and worsens, then people just get infuriated that homeless people are there, which cripples any impetus for change. And as the economy gets worse, homelessness will only get worse as well.
I agree. I would add that just because people are physically capable of working does not necessarily mean they can handle the mental or psychic aspects of prolonged human interaction for a variety of reasons.

Also, for my own peace of mind I would like to clarify my earlier statement about ignoring the homeless. I never ignore anyone who speaks to me but I often drive by without stopping or walk right by those who appear to be in need.

However, a lot of street people love my dog and I stop whenever someone takes an interest in her. She is very evolved: she loves everybody.

Old 12-23-2008, 10:19 AM

1,714 posts, read 6,055,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msnorman67 View Post
I agree. I would add that just because people are physically capable of working does not necessarily mean they can handle the mental or psychic aspects of prolonged human interaction for a variety of reasons.
This is so true. And so troubling.

Quote:
Also, for my own peace of mind I would like to clarify my earlier statement about ignoring the homeless. I never ignore anyone who speaks to me but I often drive by without stopping or walk right by those who appear to be in need. .
You didn't sound like you ignore people. In fact, your response was what caused me to rethink my earlier post. I had said that I ignored people (when the actual fact is that I talk with them when they speak to me, and very often have nice conversations). I really don't carry around a lot of cash, though, or food either for that matter, so there is never anything I can give them other than a human smile. Very occasionally I see a street musician, and I do try really hard to scrounge for parking change from my purse/car to put in their violin case.

Old 12-23-2008, 10:35 AM

1,297 posts, read 5,509,989 times
Sooooooooooo much sympathy. Give a little money to make yourself "feel" better That's all it really is. Especially now during the holidays.. This is the time they get down to big business and reap the benifits of protecting that intersection/off ramp they established a claim to many months ago.

On behalf of my relative & all the other condo unit owners in her building, they would like to extend a big thank you to all you "doners" to the homeless...especially the ones who donate to the Wilshire Blvd/San Vicente Blvd crew. They have establised a mini commune and petty theft ring in the area.

I love how people are happy to donate to a group living on the corner as long as it's not the corner they live near. "Oh I care soo much" but you stay away from my house...

Often, I've felt like hiring a few homeless people and proping them to ask for money. Then when a commuter gives a few bucks, I would pick the homeless up and follow that "good hearted" person home. Then pay the bum stand in front of of "their house" and beg, use the landscaping to sleep, lay out a blanket, eat and trash the area, urinate, invite other casual friends to hang out, talk loud, smoke, drink, waiting for that garage door to be accidently left open for a few hours etc. All the while thanking and saying hello to the person who he followed home.

The majority of homeless panhandling is a scam. The majority of the balance, including the extreme alcoholic and mentally imbalanced are using the easy money to avoid seeking treatment and services offered.
It's much easier to use free money and continue the destructive lifestyle than to get serious & deal with a problem.

This is all a scam to play and take advantage of the emotions and egos of the general public.

Old 12-24-2008, 02:42 AM

488 posts, read 1,513,421 times
Default In closing,

Whatever form it may take, the problem still exists. I think cynicism is a phase that most people never grow beyond. Unfortunately growth cannot be taught.

Old 12-24-2008, 05:44 PM

1,297 posts, read 5,509,989 times
I would love to see some growth and evolution in our society....housing and assistance/rehabilitation for those truly in need and social & personal responsibilty for both those that give and take would be a start.

Old 12-24-2008, 08:16 PM

2,497 posts, read 7,478,621 times
The homeless have heartbeats just as you and I. The homeless have as much of a right to live and breathe as you and I. My assumption is that most of them are mentally ill, not ALL of them but many of them.
Some of them have made choices (out of free will) that have led them to the situation they are in. Some of them are mentally challenged so it's out of their hands. I'm not trying to make any excuses for them. I'm not trying to act all goodie two shoes either. Every time I walk by one I can't help but to feel a little wasteful in my own life, and very fortunate as well.
I rarely walk by a homeless person begging and don't give them change. So I am supporting their habit? I am furthering their demise by giving them money? Whatever, I don't see it that way at all. You gotta be good to each other, that's one thing that L.A. has taught me. Seeing so many people ignoring and turning their nose up has actually made me a more giving person. So yeah I guess I actually went the opposite way "unhardened" by city life.
If you don't have any change to spare that's understandable you have to take care of your own business. However, maybe instead of giving them money maybe ask them if they are hungry. I have on several occasions made a homeless persons day simply spending .99 at Jack In The Box on the 2 taco deal. If I have a minute I'll small talk with them and listen to what they have to say. That's all really. Take a few minutes out of your busy schedule to help the less fortunate.
***You should never do this if you feel you are in danger, obviously***
I'm a big guy, I can handle myself. I guess I wouldn't advise everyone to treat them like I do, but i know I can handle them.
Happy Holidays! Share the wealth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles