Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2012, 02:42 PM

2,318 posts, read 7,847,325 times

Advertisements

I wasn't crazy about INO fries until I started asking for them "well done"... now I love them

Old 06-07-2012, 02:45 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,124,091 times
In N Out is the top rated fast food period. 5 Guys tries, but they are a sloppy overpriced mess.

Old 06-07-2012, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LASam View Post
I wasn't crazy about INO fries until I started asking for them "well done"... now I love them

I even like the under done slightly. Someone said they come out of a bag, that is not true in any way. You can watch them cut them at every location...

Old 06-07-2012, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Dreamer View Post
Ridiculously overrated. they got In n Out here in Dallas--its just good value, thats it. Whataburger is way better.

Whataburger is crap. So average = Sonic.

Old 06-07-2012, 03:02 PM

1,359 posts, read 4,850,544 times
I need to try the well done fries, I love the burgers [animal style for me] but have never cottoned to their fries.

I'm not from CA, but love In-n-Out better than any other fast food place, and I hail from the land of Sonic, Whataburger, etc. Those places are fine, but if I could only eat at one fast food place for the rest of my days, it would have to be In-n-Out.

I have a family member back home who loves their burgers too, so it is definitely not just that people like them because that's what they grew up around.

Old 06-07-2012, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregHenry View Post
A fresh fry makes as little sense and tastes as good as a fresh pickle. Some foods actually have to be cooked, cured, aged, dried, jerked, marinated, cooked in more than one way, etc.

"Fresh" in California appears to be more of a religion than sound cooking practice. Californians seem willing to accept worse fresh food than better food that takes longer to be ready for the table.

Fries like In n Out don't taste as good as other fries, because fries are supposed to be cooked twice, once at lower heat for the insides, cooled, then cooked once at higher heat for the outsides. INO skips an entire stage, and passes off a worse fry as better, because the Californians have this religious fondness for "freshness." INO saves time and money, and the Californians feel pious in having an inferior product.

You are fighting a losing battle..........hilarious!

Best Burgers in the US

California: In-N-Out
Signature Burger: Cheeseburger.
Even superstar chef Thomas Keller is a fan of the West Coast chain--and with good reason. The cooked-to-order burgers are made with beef from Southwest ranches and served with hand-cut fries. For a messier, more indulgent experience, order your burger "Animal Style" for extra sauce and chopped grilled onions.

Best Burgers in the US | Shine Food - Yahoo! Shine

Best Fast Food Chains: Consumer Reports Survey
#1 Burger chain, In-N-Out Burger

The Top 13 Fast Food Chains | The Top 13 | www.thetop13.com
#1 In-N-Out Burger

Regional (4 states)

This legendary California-based burger chain is a way of life for many living in the Western United States and is a must-stop on all of our trips to the Golden State. In-N-Out simply does burgers better than any other fast food chain. The chain is also beloved because it is still privately owned - there are no franchise locations - and the way it treats its employees, who are paid significantly more than minimum wage. The official menu is refreshingly simple, offering just three different kinds of burgers, as well as fries and shakes, but for those in the know, there is also a "secret" menu that allows you to order your burger "Animal Style" (with many toppings) or "Protein Style" (wrapped only in lettuce).

ZAGAT
Top Rated Among Large Chains (up to 5,000 U.S. locations)

Top Food
  1. In-N-Out Burger
  2. Chick-fil-A
  3. Papa Murphy's
  4. Five Guys
  5. Chipotle Mexican Grill

Old 06-07-2012, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregHenry View Post
Wrong attitude. Notice all those cooking shows on television? Notice what all those world travelers spend so much of their time doing when they go overseas?

You're hard pressed to find a more important subject.

Yes tons of cooking shows.....lets see what celebrity chefs say......

The Winner: In-N-Out Burger

"The hamburger is definitive, greasy but oddly clean-tasting at the same time and the sauce actually is 'special.' And the shake tastes the way shakes tasted back when I was a kid. It makes me tear up just thinkin' about it." — Alton Brown, host of Iron Chef America
Order: One hamburger "Animal Style" and a chocolate shake
"I dare anyone to tell me their burgers aren't as good as any you'll find anywhere, from fast food to fine dining." — Tyler Florence, host of Tyler's Ultimate
Order: Double-double cheeseburger "Animal Style"
"It's fast, it's hot, there are code words — what's not to enjoy?" — David Myers, Sona and Comme Ca, Los Angeles
Order: Double-double cheeseburger "Animal Style" and fries
"It's the perfect example of classic American fast food. It satisfies my craving for meat, crisp fries, and their special sauce." — Thomas Keller, The French Laundry, Yountville, California and Per Se, New York City
Order: Cheeseburger, fries "well done," and a Diet Coke
"It's a rite of passage for all visitors to California." — Nate Appleman, A16 and SPQR, San Francisco
Order: Two single cheeseburgers, one "Animal Style" and one regular with onions and fries
"The places are incredibly clean. I'm impressed as hell by that. And whatever's in that sauce is tasty." — Charlie Palmer, Aureole, New York City and Charlie Palmer Steak, multiple locations
Order: Double-double cheeseburger "Animal Style"

Top Fast Food Restaurants - Chef Reviews of Best Fast Food Restaurants - Esquire

Old 06-07-2012, 03:38 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,955,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustPassinThru View Post
It's been fun reading all of the comments, except for that one poster that seems to resent anything from California.
If you lived where he lives, you'd be bitter too.

Old 06-07-2012, 04:02 PM

583 posts, read 885,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
You are fighting a losing battle..........hilarious!
I won. You lost. Hilarious that you, a Californian, thinks you're fit to talk to someone else about food.

INO is crap. The real story is just how badly it makes Californians look for thinking it's good.

You lost, again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
In N Out is the top rated fast food period. 5 Guys tries, but they are a sloppy overpriced mess.
INO is bottom-rated fast food, period. Ask the people who know better, not Californians.

5 Guys is horrible because they cook a burger well done and make fresh-cut, once-fried fries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
If you lived where he lives, you'd be bitter too.
Don't get made at me because your hometown hero burger joint is overrated and lousy. Try getting out of California so you can see what a real burger tastes like.

Old 06-07-2012, 04:14 PM

890 posts, read 2,786,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobrien View Post
I haven't read the whole thread and have never eaten at an In-N-Out because I don't live in a state that they are in. What I don't understand is if they are making the fries out of potatoes in each restaurant, why wouldn't they taste better? Seems like most of the posts say the fries are bad. That makes no sense to me if they are freshly made.
Fresh potatoes don't quite cook well to the standards of a McD fries.

McD fries are essentially precooked lightly, then frozen for distribution.
So when they are fried again, the outside becomes crispy with the inside cooked.

This is how I cook fries at home, Cut potatoes, wash, then dry. Cook in a lower heat 270 F for 3 to 4 minutes without browning, take it out of the oil and drain--this essentially pushes the water content of the potato.

I can then set them aside even in the fridge/freeze for later cooking, at 350 F and golden brown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles