Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2010, 06:48 PM

1,465 posts, read 5,148,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoBlue View Post
It sucks. I want something other than just 3 choices
It turns out there are other restaurants. I would be surprised if anyone here eats and In-n-Out daily.

Old 12-30-2010, 07:58 PM

3,485 posts, read 7,312,552 times
It's overrated but still something that I like to eat from time to time... I think it's because I crave the animal style. But the buns, meat, fries aren't exceptional.

Even exceptional $16 burgers are kinda gross after awhile.

Old 12-31-2010, 03:55 AM

128 posts, read 253,268 times
Given the choice, I'd pick Tommy's or Fatburger over In-N-Out every time.

But a double-double, protein style with extra tomatoes is pretty awesome for the money.

Old 12-31-2010, 09:39 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,772,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Introvertere View Post
Given the choice, I'd pick Tommy's or Fatburger over In-N-Out every time.

But a double-double, protein style with extra tomatoes is pretty awesome for the money.
I have heard great things about Tommy's, as for Fatburger, I have only had a couple but the big difference is price. We are talking IN&Out for less than $2 compared to twice that much. I would hope a burger costing $4 or more would offer a little more than a $2.00 burger. I think that is what makes In&Out so popular, fresh ingredients, real pieces of tomato, lettuce and onions (not diced) and the price.

Nita

Old 12-31-2010, 09:42 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,772,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
Since we're talking about other burger places, I'll give credit to Burger King and their Whopper series of burgers. Perfect when there's no INO around...
Me too, we do love the Whopper...Actually, we don't eat much fast food period and of course do not have InO here so have to get our fill when we are in the west, but both are good. When I see someone talk about fast food isn't good for us, I have to agree, on the other hand, I don't think most of us are talking "fast food" as our daily menu requirements. At least I know we aren't.

Nita

Old 06-05-2012, 07:27 AM

583 posts, read 885,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumerian Feast View Post
I apologize in advance for the sacrilege.
I don't get why there would be any sanctity associated with In-N-Out. It's not like it's an old-timey hole-in-the-wall burger joint in a dark, musty old-time East Coast city. It's just a big chain with boring burgers and bad fries.

Is California so new and its culture so shallow that unimpressive corporate burgers served from strip-mall outlots are what evokes back-home yearnings?

The allure for In-N-Out seems to be reducible to exactly this point: Californians grew up with it, and there's not a lot of food original to California. It's not that great, but it's their foundational memories, and it's from where they are, so they'll stick by it.

Old 06-05-2012, 07:36 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,489,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregHenry View Post
I don't get why there would be any sanctity associated with In-N-Out. It's not like it's an old-timey hole-in-the-wall burger joint in a dark, musty old-time East Coast city. It's just a big chain with boring burgers and bad fries.

Is California so new and its culture so shallow that unimpressive corporate burgers served from strip-mall outlots are what evokes back-home yearnings?

The allure for In-N-Out seems to be reducible to exactly this point: Californians grew up with it, and there's not a lot of food original to California. It's not that great, but it's their foundational memories, and it's from where they are, so they'll stick by it.
Not so fast. I'm originally from California, a native, but didn't grow up with it. At my age, In-N-Out is a relative newcomer to the fast food genre. I was in my mid- to late-40s before I ever had one.

Having said that, as fast food goes it's fresh, nothing's frozen, the service is quick and the price is right. That doesn't make it gourmet by any means but I dare say it's healthier than many places and it's patties aren't frozen pieces of cardboard. I find all those facts to be major pluses.

Original foods? French dip, sour dough bread, Cobb salad, chili-size, cioppino, Rice-A-Roni, hangtown fry, green goddess dressing, chicken tettrazzini, celery victor, crab louis, mai tais, martinis, irish coffee, chop suey, super burrito...

And let's not forget beers like Anchor Steam and many others.

Last edited by Curmudgeon; 06-05-2012 at 07:46 AM..

Old 06-05-2012, 07:58 AM

749 posts, read 838,938 times
It's a good burger for a chain. That's really about it. Anyone who is exalting it above this level is, in my opinion, overrating the burger. There are many, many independent burger joints that do a MUCH better burger.

Ask yourself this: If at home using a good ground chuck as your starting point, would In-N-Out's end product look like yours? Didn't think so.

They are good for the price, good for the situation. Nothing more.

Another thing to add. Growing up in SoCal, I saw numerous situations where people would flock to an eating place that served substandard crap. Tito's Taco's is a classic example, and although Pink's hotdogs isn't bad, it most certainly doesn't warrant the attention it gets. What happens here is that when people see a line, they assume the food must be worth the hassle. Once they've sampled the very average cuisine, they either don't have the taste buds to know better, or are reluctant to go against popular opinion and dare say that what they've just eaten doesn't measure up to the hype, thereby risking a verbal hazing. It's easier for some to simply go with the flow.

Old 06-05-2012, 08:41 AM

8,324 posts, read 13,457,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
For those prices, they better be...!

Another place that I've heard is good (but never had the chance to visit), is Five Guys.
Been to 5 Guys a few times (with a group). Tasty burgers and fries and portions are huge but as you said, with those prices, they better be. I get the Jr. size burger and as a group, we share fries between 2-3 people, otherwise most of it goes to waste. They should give no more than half as much and charge you half but that is probably another good profit source much like sodas.

You could eat much better food at a regular restaurant and it would probably cost you less even but once in a blue moon, why not.

Old 06-05-2012, 09:10 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,955,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregHenry View Post

Flyover country checking in, ladies and gemmums.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles