Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2012, 02:19 PM

2,131 posts, read 4,916,169 times

Advertisements

The burgers are great. Much better than anything McDonalds, Carl's Jr. or Wendy's has.

I recently tried something new though - "The Habit". They just opened up a restaurant in Murrieta. I don't see any reason to go back to In-n-Out.

Old 06-05-2012, 02:26 PM

812 posts, read 1,470,905 times
This may not be why the masses flock there, but if anyone's ever read Eric Schlosser's "Fast Food Nation," In-N-Out is apparently one of the very few chain-type fast-food restaurants that "does it right" and is not part of the environmental / public-health nightmare fast-food is generally known for. From ingredients to employee retention/pay, it's the "anti Mickey-D's" from a sustainability perspective. I still prefer the classic local one or two off places (i.e. Apple Pan, etc) but In-N-Out does a great job overall.

Old 06-05-2012, 02:50 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,542,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrcousert View Post
The burgers are great. Much better than anything McDonalds, Carl's Jr. or Wendy's has.

I recently tried something new though - "The Habit". They just opened up a restaurant in Murrieta. I don't see any reason to go back to In-n-Out.
The habit is awesome but fills a different need than in n out for me.

I crave both at different times.

Old 06-05-2012, 02:59 PM

1,472 posts, read 3,547,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregHenry View Post
You should hear what we call you. It's also pretty lame for you to try to imitate our food then knock where you got all your ideas.
California pretty much invented drive-ins and fast food (for better or worse). As for In-N-Out, its pretty darn good for a fast food burger and fries. Better than most (and I been all over the country). There are some stellar independent burger joints in The City, but if I'm in the vicinity of an In-N-Out I have no qualms about eating there over other fast food restaurants.

Old 06-05-2012, 03:07 PM

76 posts, read 244,374 times
Out of the mouths of babes, "Daddy, how come In-N-Out can make a burger so much better than any other burger place?"

Old 06-05-2012, 03:10 PM

583 posts, read 885,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffredo View Post
As for In-N-Out, its pretty darn good for a fast food burger and fries.
Back to Square One. What's good about the burger? Let's just talk burger and bun. The patty is thin and bland, and the bun is uninspired. Again, just talking about the patty and bun, what's great about either?

Quote:
Originally Posted by parker View Post
Out of the mouths of babes, "Daddy, how come In-N-Out can make a burger so much better than any other burger place?"
Children do love their bland hamburgers, don't they? It's cute until they ask for one at the Chinese restaurant, the Mexican restaurant, the steak restaurant and at the real burger restaurant. Good parenting will wean them off that.

Old 06-05-2012, 03:33 PM

812 posts, read 1,470,905 times
Quote:
Back to Square One. What's good about the burger? Let's just talk burger and bun.
OK. The meat itself is, if I recall, not processed in an industrial slaughterhouse like nearly every other fast-food "restaurant." The typical fast-food burger is literally disgusting, both in how it made it's way from the cow to the burger warming-device AND in the actual experience of biting into that semi-flaccid nastiness. An In-N-Out burger, as I recall, is not disgusting in either of those ways. It is neither flimsy and limp like a "heat-lamp" typical fast-food burger nor is it hockey-puck hard like a 7-11 convenience store burger. It is, in other words, made fresh, to order. That in itself puts it in a class almost by itself compared to any other fast-food chain.

Again, I prefer the one-off Mom and Pop places serving equally high-quality meat, but In-N-Out sets the standard for quality chain-type fast-food burgers. Is there some other large chain out there that is NOT utterly nasty? I actually like Good Times in the Denver area, but not sure they're on the scale of in-N-Out in the number of locations.

Old 06-05-2012, 03:40 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,489,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Perhaps for someone in Northern California, but In-N-Out started in the LA area in 1946 which is probably about when you were born.
Actually, I was born in San Diego in 1946 and raised in Newport Beach, lived in Costa Mesa while working in Santa Ana and in Santa Monica while working in L.A. Correct me if I'm wrong but the last I knew, those were all in Southern California.

Obviously they weren't as wide-spread or as hyped back in the dark ages as they are now.

Oh yeah, and my father was stubborn and wouldn't go out and get me one the day I was born.

Last edited by Curmudgeon; 06-05-2012 at 03:50 PM..

Old 06-05-2012, 03:48 PM

1,658 posts, read 3,548,735 times
Quote:
Also, what is this near-religious California fascination with "freshness," as if it doesn't matter how bland the food is, as long as everything is fresh. So what that INO is "fresh." Their pickles aren't fresh. The mustard isn't fresh. The salt isn't fresh. The fries are fresh, and fresh fries are horrible. Slow down, and cook those puppies twice. Once on low temp and once on high. Freeze them overnight after the first cooking, if you want.

Taste is what matters. If freshness makes a better taste, then fine. If not, then do things differently. Fresh is a means, not an end. This is food, not church.
Because fresh food does taste better, same seasonings for same seasonings, and is better for you. What was the point of bringing up mustard or salt? If there was a fast food joint that used freshly made mustard and freshly harvested sea salt, I'd go there instead. But there's not.

Old 06-05-2012, 03:49 PM

418 posts, read 1,735,178 times
Man, when I started this thread, I had no idea it would be going strong after 38 pages and three years. Funny thing is... now I kind of like In-N-Out.

Also, I know there's no comparing a fancy burger to a drive-thru burger, but I've become kind of an Umami addict. GREAT burger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles