Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 11:56 PM

19 posts, read 43,891 times

Advertisements

Thinking about relocating now, just got offered a job in Woodland Hills. Really considering Westlake Village, due to low crime rate, good schools, etc. Anyone want to weigh in? Wondering about the commute, hoping it's not too bad. Already checked on house rentals, rents seem to be the same in the entire area unless you go more into Ventura county.

I used to live in Newbury Park many years ago, my sister was actually born in Westlake Village - but our info is pretty out of date.

Thanks for the feedback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2009, 05:38 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
What time are your normal work hours? I recall it backing up the Calabasas grade around 730AM or so but if it is just to Woodland Hills then it isn't that bad.
The 101 does slow down eastbound especially in the mornings when the sun is directly in the drivers' eyes. Not so bad westbound in the afternoon.
Check Sigalert.com Los Angeles Traffic Map during the time you expect to commute.

Old 10-14-2009, 07:26 AM

Thanks - I believe my new hours will be somewhat flexible. Any good alternate routes if the 101 is backed up?

Old 10-14-2009, 07:38 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlendyWee View Post
Thanks - I believe my new hours will be somewhat flexible. Any good alternate routes if the 101 is backed up?
I doubt any alternate route will save you much time if any. If you have flexible hours and can get in my 7AM then you will have no problems.

Las Virgenes (south) to Mulholland into Calabasas or to Topanga
Las Virgenes (north) to Moureau road to Calabasas Road to Ave San Luis

Old 10-14-2009, 11:12 AM

12,823 posts, read 24,406,112 times
Just get on 101. It's not that bad, going that short a distance. Imagine living in Moreno Valley and the likely commute.

Old 10-14-2009, 02:04 PM

5,024 posts, read 8,895,713 times
It's pretty much a breeze for me. I get on at Westlake Boulevard at 6:55 in the morning and exit at Topanga Canyon Boulevard. I reach Canoga Park at 7:25. Unless there is a major accident farther along the freeway, you shouldn't have much trouble.

Old 10-14-2009, 06:10 PM

10,032 posts, read 9,509,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlendyWee View Post
Thinking about relocating now, just got offered a job in Woodland Hills. Really considering Westlake Village, due to low crime rate, good schools, etc. Anyone want to weigh in? Wondering about the commute, hoping it's not too bad. Already checked on house rentals, rents seem to be the same in the entire area unless you go more into Ventura county.

I used to live in Newbury Park many years ago, my sister was actually born in Westlake Village - but our info is pretty out of date.

Thanks for the feedback.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
Just get on 101. It's not that bad, going that short a distance. Imagine living in Moreno Valley and the likely commute.
I agree with BayAreaHillbilly, the distance is not that bad. If your hours are flexible then you should be able to see for yourself the best time that works for you. You can also look at Calabasas and Agoura hills, they are closer to Woodland Hills and I would suspect the same in regards to low crime and schools.

Old 10-14-2009, 07:11 PM

That's excellent, commute sounds similar to what I have in AZ, commuting from Mesa to Scottsdale. I'll have a look at Calabasas and Agoura Hills too. Thanks, great info!!

Old 10-15-2009, 10:23 AM

687 posts, read 1,119,728 times
Westlake is only 15 minutes from W.H. but by 5 pm. to around 7 pm it can take you 45 minutes to get home. It usually clogs up around Calabasas and forget about shorts cuts...it's not a secret and everyone thinks it will be quicker...not. I lived in W.H. and if you are single it is much more conducive to that lifestyle than Westlake, Agoura, or Oak Park which are primarily occupied by families. Warner Center is a good spot and very walkable with lots of options for rentals or buying. I lived in Westlake when I was single and found it very boring and that I didn't fit in being single.

Old 10-15-2009, 07:02 PM

It's good to know what the options for families or singles are - we're looking for a more family oriented area. Perhaps we'll check out Agoura & Oak Park too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles