Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 12:29 AM

1,207 posts, read 2,424,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaCACO View Post
interesting, but doesn't speak for all blacks/african-americans. I think we just identify ourselves as we chose. some use both, some only one, most are happy whatever way. non-blacks/african-americans should use the term/s that most of that group use.
I believe he eloquently articulated his perspective & perhaps a lovely argument for his thinking to others who may choose to reconsider how they identify themselves.

That all being said, he surely does not speak for nor represent - nor should he - the thinking or feeling behind what all people sharing his heritage/ethnicity identify as. For many there is a deep inner sense of connection to their heritage, "The Motherland" - even though he apparently doesn't share that same sense of connection to his African ancestors (which is his prerogative).

Goodness, a friend of my son's just went to Ireland for the first time in her life with her father & it was like a spiritual experience for them. They feel deeply connected to a land they've never physically set foot on until recently. I know the same of many with Italian, French, Irish heritage - some of whom identify as "Italian American" (and, again, never having visited Italy).

Thanks for sharing...

Old 09-17-2007, 12:05 PM

66 posts, read 409,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nijinsky View Post
I hate the term 'African American' and so do most who are from Africa, especially South Africa. Most who live in South Africa are white and do not like how the term is used here in America. I see nothing wrong with calling someone white or black. For Gods sake are those of us who are Europian, demand to be called Europian American? Give me a break!
I have a girlfriend who is black. Sometimes we have long conversations about our cultures. One day I said African American and she stopped me. She asked me not to say that anymore. I asked why and she said she can't stand that term and we can thank Al Sharpton for that. Apparently she can't stand him of Jesse Jackson lol. Anyway just thought I'd share.

To answer the original posters question. There is a lot of black people in Moreno Valley.

Old 09-24-2007, 12:16 PM

23 posts, read 219,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nijinsky View Post
Most who live in South Africa are white
You reinforce the worldwide perception that Americans don't know squat about the world.

Read my lips: There is NO country in Africa where the majority of the population is white...got that!!!???

Old 09-24-2007, 04:25 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,616,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Rasta View Post
You reinforce the worldwide perception that Americans don't know squat about the world.

Read my lips: There is NO country in Africa where the majority of the population is white...got that!!!???
The peoples of Tunisia, Morocco, Algeria, and Libya are considered white by the US government.

Old 09-24-2007, 04:57 PM
NDA

84 posts, read 433,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
The peoples of Tunisia, Morocco, Algeria, and Libya are considered white by the US government.
The U.S. doesn't get to determine the races of nations. How many centuries did it take the U.S. to realize Native Americans weren't Indians?

Old 09-24-2007, 05:09 PM

128 posts, read 461,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by think.reciprocity View Post
I believe he eloquently articulated his perspective & perhaps a lovely argument for his thinking to others who may choose to reconsider how they identify themselves.

That all being said, he surely does not speak for nor represent - nor should he - the thinking or feeling behind what all people sharing his heritage/ethnicity identify as. For many there is a deep inner sense of connection to their heritage, "The Motherland" - even though he apparently doesn't share that same sense of connection to his African ancestors (which is his prerogative).

Goodness, a friend of my son's just went to Ireland for the first time in her life with her father & it was like a spiritual experience for them. They feel deeply connected to a land they've never physically set foot on until recently. I know the same of many with Italian, French, Irish heritage - some of whom identify as "Italian American" (and, again, never having visited Italy).

Thanks for sharing...

i like the way you posted in afrocentric colours... very clever

Old 09-24-2007, 05:11 PM

3 posts, read 7,985 times
EscapeCalifornia, Clown Houses? Fact of the matter is the arriving immigrants are so hard working keeping up with them is impossible for people who choose to... well, not work as hard. Do latins live together to make ends meet? Sure, with the minimum wage they get living in California is difficult. Like Asians, the Latinos work as a family unit to insure success. The fact that you can't live with each other for whatever reason should not sour you on those who can lovingly accept each other.

Old 09-24-2007, 05:15 PM

3 posts, read 7,985 times
Where ever they are going I hope they keep up the nieghborhood so it doesn't become what they are trying to escape.

Old 09-24-2007, 07:56 PM

194 posts, read 304,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Arellano View Post
Where ever they are going I hope they keep up the nieghborhood so it doesn't become what they are trying to escape.
Yeah, God forbid it gets as bad as El Monte, Cudahy, East LA, or Tijuana.

Old 09-24-2007, 08:11 PM

194 posts, read 304,102 times
The fact that you can't live with each other for whatever reason should not sour you on those who can lovingly accept each other.[/quote]

Yeah, 'cause there's *SO* much "love" between the Mexican Mafia and the Maravillas, and all those wonderful, law abiding Surenos lowlifes.

Hate to disappoint you 'ese', but the people of View Park, Ladera Heights, Baldwin Hills, Windsor Hills, Leimert Park, Altadena (just to name a few places) get along just fine and have been 'lovingly accepting each other' for years now. I guess you and Vicente Fox thought were going to take over those neighborhoods the way you crawled into South-Central, but you were wrong.

Maybe you should worry about your Surenos and Maravilla friends who can't seem to 'live with each other' before you start making stupid, ignorant comments about other people. Until there are no more Mexican gangs, lowlifes, and criminals in Southern California, you and 'yours' are in no position to point fingers at anyone, 'ese'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles