Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 04:59 PM

897 posts, read 1,591,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minet View Post
That's mature of you. It was a mistake on my part but there's no need to be snarky about it.

I know 1/1s run around that price--I paid that in orlando when I lived alone, but I'm open to moving in w roommates like the ones I posted.
Ah, well, then you could go with either of the ones you posted (but still, be careful with that sublet situation) since they are both in decent areas. I would go for the one in Burbank since it would be less congested at rush hour.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2010, 05:09 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,193,073 times
after doing rental research for a possible job move, i've found that LA is less than NY and SF (considerably I might add), on par with DC, and more expensive than Chicago and SD (although, not by much). i don't have enough experience with other cities to make an informed statement, but i would venture to say that there aren't many other places in the country as expensive.

as for the OP's remark about LA not being too expensive compared to his/her unit in Orlando, you have to compare apples to apples. at 2/2 apartment in LA for $1600 can be found, but it won't be in a very desirable locale. safety may or may not be an issue, but it will most likely be in an older building with older (if any) appliances and may or may not come with parking.

Old 02-17-2010, 08:31 PM

1,714 posts, read 6,054,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke9686 View Post
Also note that cost of living includes much more than housing. Everything from filling up on gas, to buying a carton of eggs at the store will cost more. Insurance will probably go up, car registration fees are more, taxes will be higher, etc.
I partially agree, and partially disagree with the above.

I have found that groceries, car insurance, car registrations, and gas bill are cheaper... especially groceries... it's incredible the food we get here, for how cheaply we get it. Also restaurants are much cheaper and better.

Gasoline, electric bill, water bill, sales tax are higher.

Old 02-17-2010, 09:22 PM

2,652 posts, read 8,581,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timelesschild View Post

I have found that groceries, car insurance, car registrations, and gas bill are cheaper... especially groceries... it's incredible the food we get here, for how cheaply we get it. Also restaurants are much cheaper and better.

I guess it depends on where you moved from and where you are shopping. I moved to California from the midwest, and couldn't believe the prices at Safeway (in San Jose). A 12 pack of eggs was over $3, half gallon of OJ ran over $4, etc. In Iowa, heck even the Washington state, registering my car was no more than $80. In California, $250. Insurance was slightly more in California than the midwest.

BUT, I'd do it again in a heartbeat! I love California.

Old 02-18-2010, 08:18 AM

33 posts, read 93,160 times
BRinSM, thank you for sharing your rental experience. Luke, was the $250 for your original registration? It's around that in Florida too. I'm curious to know about my insurance, although I just got a speeding ticket so it's going up here regardless lol.

I'll eventually talk to my cousin about this, but right now it's just research and if I tell him I'm sure it'll get back to my mom and she'll start on me about being so far away (let's not even get into the fact I already live 1,000 miles away from her lol) and I do NOT want to listen to it right now, haha.

I live in downtown Orlando right now and honestly (even though the people on the Orlando board would massacre me right now for saying it) it's not safe at all. It has the 17th highest crime rate in the country, well above L.A. which is in the 100's. I live in the supposedly "nicer" area of downtown but I'd never walk the streets at night and just last week the roads were closed off and there was some type of police raid across the street.

Old 02-18-2010, 03:07 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
I'm a "planner" so even though I don't plan on moving to L.A. for AT LEAST a year (when I'll be debt free and with savings AND I won't be moving unless I have a job there) I'm researching things now. Everyone keeps saying how pricey LA is, but I'm on craigslist and they're pretty comparable to downtown Orlando (where I live now). I pay for a 2/2 about $800/month (thats rent + utilities). Am I missing something? I'm looking in the Burbank and Culver City area per suggestion of my cousin who currently live in Burbank.
Believe me, there is no comparison. Don't put much into what you are seening on Craigslist. You will not get a 2/2 in any decent part of L.A. for anything near $800.00

Nita

Old 02-19-2010, 12:56 PM

33 posts, read 93,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Believe me, there is no comparison. Don't put much into what you are seening on Craigslist. You will not get a 2/2 in any decent part of L.A. for anything near $800.00

Nita
The 2/2 for $800 was a misunderstanding if you read the rest of the thread.

Old 02-19-2010, 06:02 PM

4,139 posts, read 11,489,780 times
I think you can find a roommate situation for $800.

I did have roommates but the best situation I had was renting from a lady who had kids my age. We worked together and she had a huge house in Burbank and lived alone in 5 bedrooms. Her personality was so laid back and she was very easy to live with. She actually is the one who pushed me to date my now husband!

At one time I even rented a room in a boarding house. I lived there for 2 years. I had no idea those types of places still existed. Granted, this was about 17 years ago, but still. I paid $300 including all meals! I did have to share a bathroom, but I had my own bedroom and phone.

Good luck!,

Dawn

Old 02-20-2010, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Oh sorry guys! I paid $800 for just 1 bedroom IN a 2/2. I've always lived w roommates, my last roommate being a random, so its nothing new.

Thanks for the warnings about craiglist. I wouldn't give any money until I saw it in person anyway.
It sounds like you are trying to convince yourself L.A. is no more expensive. Let's put it this way, it looks like you will have to move to be convinced. If you think things are about the same, think about this: our daughter lives in Windermere, you know where that is. She has a lovely home on about an acre of land in a gated community. They paid around 600,000 a few years ago for the property. A similar place in SO Calif at the time would have been well over a mil..That should convince you if nothing else will.
As for the crime rate in the two cities, you are forgetting Los Angeles is one of the most spread out cities in the country, probably the most spread out. Orlando is small and very compact. It doesn't take much crime to push them closer to the top of the pile. Los Angeles has some areas with absolutely no crime, other areas with a high crime rate. The areas you feel are similar in price to Orlando would not be the areas I would want my young adult child to live in.
Nita

Last edited by nmnita; 02-20-2010 at 11:38 AM..

Old 02-20-2010, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timelesschild View Post

Cheaper than where? Are you saying restaurants are cheaper in So Calif than in Orlando? the same with groceries? I don't think this is the case, but all I can compare that too is from visiting both areas. also car registration in Cal is one of the highest in the nation...

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles