Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 06:39 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times

Advertisements

I've always thought Louisiana should have been divided into two states years ago - the two are SO completely different that they should be different states. Hey, we've got North Dakota and South Dakota, North Carolina and South Carolina - WHY NOT North Louisiana and South Louisiana??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2009, 10:50 AM

420 posts, read 479,327 times
As far as whats called an "Ark-La-Miss", Louisiana is the elite. I mean honestly, Mississippi draws allllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll of there cultures and influence from Louisiana. Even in Monroe you can see that. Like I said in past replies in similar threads, Monroe and Natchitoches are the closest thing you will get to the "more traditional Louisiana" as far as traveling outside of South Louisiana to North Louisiana. Neither are nothing like the stale cultures of the "nation's biggest retirement" home known as Arkansas. Come on you guys Louisiana is allllll that and a bag of crawfish. Why would we want to be like anyone esle?

Shreveport has an identity crisis that for sure. They struggle to prove they are so Louisiana like, but still........ Why oh why, would u have the Texas flag waving proudly, over the Louisiana Boardwalk????????????

Anyway, Im speaking up for Monroe. We have way more good traditional Louisiana restaurants here than any other North Louisiana city or town. I can agree that we are more similar to the traditional south, but dont get it twisted. When u get here, you still will know you are in Louisiana. And the hell with that, this is Louisiana, and no division necessary!!!

Old 03-30-2009, 06:51 PM

3,073 posts, read 8,025,234 times
So tell me la Legend, How is Shreveport like Texas? I don't get it. Now I've lived in La most of my life and have been to every major city in the state and I travel to Monroe 5 days a week. I don't see any real major difference btw our city and yours. The only reason I can see that Shreveport may be like Texas is that it's only 10 miles or so from the border. The influence is often great when you're that close. Dallas is closer to Shreveport than Baton Rouge or Lafayette. It was a long long time before we had a decent highway to get there (down south that is). So we probably tied ourselves to the DFW since we could get there easily.

I believe we have higher standards in many things than some of the other places in La JMHO. But not everyone thinks that way. So be it.

Old 05-26-2009, 02:38 PM

4 posts, read 13,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by palmtrees_are_kool View Post
I'm thinking of going out-of-state to attend college here. I was just wondering.

Don't expect too much of the people from south Louisiana, especially if they were born and raised there. They've never been exposed to anything else, but South Louisiana traditions. They are rude and will try to dominate you. And please don't expect a warm smile or "good morning", unless you've grown up or lived there most of your life. They actually believe that there's something owed to them other than just to breath.

Don't get me wrong, I've lived in Louisiana most of my life; but traveling beyond these borders gives you an understanding of what life can be outside of the south - how people can be just people if you know what I mean. Most north Louisianans are more pleasant, but still limited in their views of the world in general.

Get ready for a big culture shock.

Old 05-26-2009, 03:08 PM

1,357 posts, read 5,467,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Heaven View Post
Don't expect too much of the people from south Louisiana, especially if they were born and raised there. They've never been exposed to anything else, but South Louisiana traditions. They are rude and will try to dominate you. And please don't expect a warm smile or "good morning", unless you've grown up or lived there most of your life. They actually believe that there's something owed to them other than just to breath.

Don't get me wrong, I've lived in Louisiana most of my life; but traveling beyond these borders gives you an understanding of what life can be outside of the south - how people can be just people if you know what I mean. Most north Louisianans are more pleasant, but still limited in their views of the world in general.

These generalities are pretty funny - "people from South Louisiana.....(being) rude and will try to dominate you...." Oh, well - it could be worse....like those posts who like to compare Baton Rouge to a war zone.

Old 05-26-2009, 03:08 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,488,704 times

Old 05-26-2009, 03:35 PM

2,057 posts, read 5,327,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Heaven View Post

this is quite untrue. I have traveled to many states and have never encountered anything that was so foreign to me that I was uncomfortable there. I am about to take a trip with my family up to DC/Chesapeake Bay in Maryland to a family reunion, and every time I have been up there I have never noticed much of a difference besides the weather and an abundance of suburbs. The main things southern Louisiana has that are different are the cultural things such as cajun french language, cajun/zydeco music and creole/cajun food. Everything else is the same as in any state. Its not like Southern Louisiana is so cut off from the world that it cannot comprehend what is beyond its border. Especially not since the Gulf south is a hotbed of business activity and attracting many people from other states with its still relatively low unemployment and usually pleasant weather. We already have plenty of outsiders here, and they arent unwelcome. They bring new aspects of their own local cultures here and make thep lace more diverse. I dont know how it is in placesl ike Jena, but here it is quite civil and city-like. Even the small towns do not really feel backwards or unfamiliar with the world. Justl ike any state in the Us, Louisiana has been homogenized in ways.

Old 05-27-2009, 10:39 PM

806 posts, read 2,960,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Innotech View Post
this is quite untrue. I have traveled to many states and have never encountered anything that was so foreign to me that I was uncomfortable there. I am about to take a trip with my family up to DC/Chesapeake Bay in Maryland to a family reunion, and every time I have been up there I have never noticed much of a difference besides the weather and an abundance of suburbs. The main things southern Louisiana has that are different are the cultural things such as cajun french language, cajun/zydeco music and creole/cajun food. Everything else is the same as in any state. Its not like Southern Louisiana is so cut off from the world that it cannot comprehend what is beyond its border. Especially not since the Gulf south is a hotbed of business activity and attracting many people from other states with its still relatively low unemployment and usually pleasant weather. We already have plenty of outsiders here, and they arent unwelcome. They bring new aspects of their own local cultures here and make thep lace more diverse. I dont know how it is in placesl ike Jena, but here it is quite civil and city-like. Even the small towns do not really feel backwards or unfamiliar with the world. Justl ike any state in the Us, Louisiana has been homogenized in ways.
Indeed. I have never gotten any culture shock being anywhere else in the country. There's a little bit of everything already here: hipsters, college students, liberals, rednecks, yuppies, etc.

Old 05-28-2009, 05:45 PM

2,057 posts, read 5,327,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSU Tiger Z71 View Post
Indeed. I have never gotten any culture shock being anywhere else in the country. There's a little bit of everything already here: hipsters, college students, liberals, rednecks, yuppies, etc.
this is true.
I have seen alot of out of state license plates in the past few years, especially since River ranch has been built up. People move there from all over the place and have really upped the diversity of this city. The northside of town is different. they definitely could fit into the traditional predominantly Catholic conservative isolated mold. I know many families who really never moved anywhere or travel very far from home. they really dont know the world and thats no understatement. but they are pretty content with that. Theres no reason to chide someone for wanting to live a more simple laid back life like that. I admire it. But a lot of Lafayette is filled with businessmen and out of towners who definitely know exactly what the world is like. We have a internation festival here every year that draws over 400k people from all over the place for one thing. Being exposed to lots of different cultures and attitudes is an inevitability and we seem to welcome it.
As much of a tourism destination as southern Louisiana is, we are all well aware of the world beyond our border, because it comes to visit us all the time.

Old 11-01-2009, 07:37 PM

9 posts, read 27,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by palmtrees_are_kool View Post
I am leaning going to Hammond, LA. Is it a nice laid back town?
Hammond is a small city. You have a walmart, grocery stores, and other normal stores that you find in every city. There is a small Mall, a movie theater, bowling alley, and lots of little restaurants. The downtown area is small but cool. Hammond is not a very pretty place, but thats just an opinion. There are some areas that are a little run-down looking and some areas that are getting new businesses and look better. There are only a few Clubs/bars and a few daiquiri bars in Hammond. Baton Rouge is only 45 minutes West on I-12 and there is alot to do there. New Orleans is only like 1 hr - 1 1/2 hrs east.

I go to Southeastern Louisiana Univ. in Hammond, LA. I really like the school because the class sizes are really small (30 ppl) unless you are in a history or chemistry class, which will be a little bigger (maybe 100 ppl). I went to LSU in Baton Rouge for my freshman year and hated it. It was so big and impersonal. SELU is small (~ 15 min walk from one side of campus to the other) and the teachers actually know who you are and are willing to help. The campus is pretty and seems very safe. There are dorms and on-campus apartments, but they are a little pricey compared to what you would pay off campus in an apartment, IMO.

Here is a link I came across that has a video tour of SELU's campus:
YOUniversityTV: College Video Tours

I hope my post was helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana