Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 02:28 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,729,935 times

Advertisements

The article states that dogs are being stolen out of people's yards around the Woodstock, Sumner, West Paris and Hartford areas. Authorities are suspicious if they are being used for dog fighting.

Walking my own dogs around the neighborhood, I see a ton of dogs in yards without fences, leashes, any type of restraint that can easily leave their yard or someone can easily go in and take them.

Anyway, for those of you in the Paris and Sumner area, if you have dogs, keep an eye on them.

Article: Stolen dogs, gunfire raise suspicion of dog-fighting ring | Sun Journal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2011, 04:35 PM

1,064 posts, read 2,032,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
The article states that dogs are being stolen out of people's yards around the Woodstock, Sumner, West Paris and Hartford areas. Authorities are suspicious if they are being used for dog fighting.

Walking my own dogs around the neighborhood, I see a ton of dogs in yards without fences, leashes, any type of restraint that can easily leave their yard or someone can easily go in and take them.

Anyway, for those of you in the Paris and Sumner area, if you have dogs, keep an eye on them.

Article: Stolen dogs, gunfire raise suspicion of dog-fighting ring | Sun Journal
Bangor Daily News ran an article about this recently, too.

The article said the thieves might be doing this so the fighting dogs the thieves are training can practice on the stolen pet dogs.

Old 09-05-2011, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutDoorNut View Post
Bangor Daily News ran an article about this recently, too.

The article said the thieves might be doing this so the fighting dogs the thieves are training can practice on the stolen pet dogs.
Yep. People are becoming more aware of those who used to use places like Craigslist to get their dog fighting bait, (free kittens, free puppies, etc). Now, they just go and take them from people's yards. Again, it's suspicion at this time about these dogs but it has happened in the past.

I know that people have dogs for many reasons; help around the farm, help catch pests or ward off predators, hunting dogs, companion animals, etc. But I think no matter what the dog is for, the owner would be highly upset that someone came and stole their dog(s) and used them for some sick purpose or torture.

I don't know if it's a Maine thing but of all the places I've lived, I've never seen so many dogs just out wandering in their yards with nothing to keep them from roaming off nor a human around. That's just asking for trouble in many ways, including being stolen.

Old 09-05-2011, 08:26 PM

3,638 posts, read 6,167,614 times
Quote:

I know that people have dogs for many reasons; help around the farm, help catch pests or ward off predators, hunting dogs, companion animals, etc. But I think no matter what the dog is for, the owner would be highly upset that someone came and stole their dog(s) and used them for some sick purpose or torture.

I don't know if it's a Maine thing but of all the places I've lived, I've never seen so many dogs just out wandering in their yards with nothing to keep them from roaming off nor a human around. That's just asking for trouble in many ways, including being stolen.

I think that owners would be highly upset goes without saying; however, it also goes without saying that dogs who are trained to guard (for example farm dogs) would be fairly useless tucked away in a house.

Many people in Maine protect their property with dogs.

Here's what gets me about this paragraph from the link:

"On Thursday, two people in the area called Hart and said they'd seen trucks driving by the power lines and had heard gunshots and dogs at night. The reports have increased lately, and residents are reporting noise as often as three nights a week."

"Increased lately"??? "...reporting noise as often as THREE times a week?"

Why in H isn't anyone up there investigating those gunshots?

Old 09-06-2011, 07:04 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,540,190 times
Quote:
Quote:
People all over the country train their dogs to stay in the yard. I think some of the difference in what you're accustomed to is our lack of a "leash" law. Our dogs have to be in voice control but don't have to be tied or fenced. People might be using invisible fencing and/or training. Training keeps mine from roaming. I couldn't fence in 45 acres so training has to be kept up.

Don't be so sure someone isn't a human around. My dogs were out one day last week and the driveway was empty. That's a red flag to people who know us. I don't leave the youngest out if I'm not here. She's very protective and doesn't like strangers. A friend drove by and saw the situation. She assumed that I wasn't home and the dogs had somehow gotten out. She stopped in to make sure everything was ok. I was here but she couldn't see me. I think I told her four times how much I appreciated her checking on them. I think Maine is full of people who watch out not only for each other but for what's going on in the yard. This is an especially good time to keep an eye on strange vehicles and dogs.

Old 09-06-2011, 07:11 AM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times
Someone took our dogs.

The older girl was very friendly and would come to anyone who calls her. They took her and a group of puppies.

Old 09-06-2011, 09:34 AM

414 posts, read 302,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Someone took our dogs.

The older girl was very friendly and would come to anyone who calls her. They took her and a group of puppies.
FB,

That is terrible news. I'm sorry this has happened and I hope they turn up unharmed. Anyone who would take family pets is truly sick.

Old 09-06-2011, 11:38 AM

2,725 posts, read 6,424,366 times
At this point, it's all speculation.

At the time the dogs were heard on the powerline, it was training season for bear hounds and the locals spend a lot of time at night rounding them up.

....and we hear gunshots all times of day this time of year.

I hope (fingers crossed) that these incidents of missing dogs are just that and they are not taken for dog fights/training.

If that is the case, there is no earthly punishment for the lowlifes!

Old 09-06-2011, 04:41 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,213,440 times
Anyone who steals or fights dogs, should be covered with gravy and used as bear bait

I cant imagine even thinking about stealing a dog, or watching them fight

the gene pool needs to be filtered...

Old 09-06-2011, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
People all over the country train their dogs to stay in the yard. I think some of the difference in what you're accustomed to is our lack of a "leash" law. Our dogs have to be in voice control but don't have to be tied or fenced. People might be using invisible fencing and/or training. Training keeps mine from roaming. I couldn't fence in 45 acres so training has to be kept up.

Don't be so sure someone isn't a human around. My dogs were out one day last week and the driveway was empty. That's a red flag to people who know us. I don't leave the youngest out if I'm not here. She's very protective and doesn't like strangers. A friend drove by and saw the situation. She assumed that I wasn't home and the dogs had somehow gotten out. She stopped in to make sure everything was ok. I was here but she couldn't see me. I think I told her four times how much I appreciated her checking on them. I think Maine is full of people who watch out not only for each other but for what's going on in the yard. This is an especially good time to keep an eye on strange vehicles and dogs.
Unfortunately, on my walks, those dogs do NOT stay in their yard. I've had several run out after us, (myself and the dogs), when we were not in their yard. It's to the point that I no longer walk my dogs because of it. Either I or my dogs will get hurt or I'm going to kill someone elses dog when it attacks us.

And no, no humans to be seen. They may be in the house but that doesn't help me if their dog comes charging down on me and my dogs, pushing us in to the street where traffic is going. (That actually happened.) While some dogs may be trained to STAY in the yard and guard that yard, the dogs around here do not. And I can bet that there are many more that do not.

In any case, I believe this article stated that the dog in question WAS on a leash. I was merely pointing out how often I see dogs here in the yard with no leash, no fence, no human in the yard with them, nothing. Throw a steak at 'em, hook 'em around the neck and toss 'em in the van. Your dog is gone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine