Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2011, 09:25 PM

476 posts, read 748,419 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I do NOT want to have another car payment. What on earth can I do to protect my car from the salt?
Here's a link to a type of undercoating that I'll be looking into. I'm going to see if I can get some referrals from people who have actually used this process for a number of years and if it seems to help.

Undercoat My Car
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2011, 11:24 PM

30,260 posts, read 23,746,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 221B View Post
Here's a link to a type of undercoating that I'll be looking into. I'm going to see if I can get some referrals from people who have actually used this process for a number of years and if it seems to help.

Undercoat My Car
Sweet! Frost's Garage, (one of the dealers), is just down the road from me! I'm totally going to go there and talk to them about it. THANK YOU!

If that doesn't work, I'm going to try kellysmith's idea. Thanks to both of you! I mean that.

Old 11-25-2011, 10:36 AM

16,677 posts, read 15,680,560 times
Maine isn't the only state that taxes vehicles based on MSRP. Licensing the vehicles I now have registered in WV will cost just about the same in Maine. Getting a license plate for my little cargo trailer cost a little less in Maine.

Old 11-25-2011, 02:17 PM

30,260 posts, read 23,746,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Maine isn't the only state that taxes vehicles based on MSRP. Licensing the vehicles I now have registered in WV will cost just about the same in Maine. Getting a license plate for my little cargo trailer cost a little less in Maine.
This is true, they do it in WA state, as well. (Or did when I lived there and considering that state, I don't see that changing any time soon.)

Old 11-25-2011, 04:34 PM

1,920 posts, read 4,321,871 times
I've not seen any sign of salt on the roads on MDI. I think its against the law.

Old 11-26-2011, 01:04 PM

1,064 posts, read 2,033,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarathu View Post
I've not seen any sign of salt on the roads on MDI. I think its against the law.
Isn't that because they spray brine (saltwater) on roads--because it's cheaper, though even more corrosive, than dry salt?

Old 11-26-2011, 02:04 PM

1,920 posts, read 4,321,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutDoorNut View Post
Isn't that because they spray brine (saltwater) on roads--because it's cheaper, though even more corrosive, than dry salt?
Maybe in the interior of MDI, but I think that since it destroys plants, that it may not be allowed. I did see big trucks piled high with sand.

Old 11-27-2011, 07:17 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,977,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellysmith View Post
What's high to one person might not be to another. Excise tax is based on the MSRP just like others have said here. The amount of excise tax decreases for 5 years after which the excise tax remains the same. Here's a calculator that will show you precisely what you will be talking about. Just use MSRP of the vehicle, not what you might have paid. I'm of the belief that excise tax on new vehicles is high.

Excise tax calculator
Is the "cost to renew registration" as shown on this calculator the same as annual "excise tax"?

Old 11-27-2011, 08:27 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,863,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarathu View Post
Maybe in the interior of MDI, but I think that since it destroys plants, that it may not be allowed. I did see big trucks piled high with sand.
Usually mixed in with that sand is the salt.

Old 11-27-2011, 08:29 AM

3,036 posts, read 5,889,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutDoorNut View Post
Maine, for the most part, uses a brine of (I believe) calcium chloride sprayed on the sand before they spread. Most towns use salt mixed in with the salt, as far as I know. As such you can't really tell it treated sand from regular sand until the roads start drying and turn white. In ecologically sensitive areas I think they just use salt. If the roads are used in the winter the State and municipalities either do this or risk getting sued for any accidents, I would think.

MaineDOT Winter Driving Information: Winter Materials Used

http://www.umaine.edu/files/2010/02/...mary-Final.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine