Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2007, 03:53 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,522,024 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
Not anymore!
Thanks I was very surprised to hop on before my shower and see that I am at 50! Love it!!! I'm so hung up on those rep points, but I think I would almost have to make it my full time job to catch up with the fab miss m and msina!!!

Old 11-08-2007, 05:17 AM

7,395 posts, read 13,104,828 times
nope, you'd be surprised.....I post a little over in the games and community chat, pass out rep points to them, and they pass them back. The reason msina and I have gone up so quickly is because after you have a certain number points when you rep people you give more than 2 points....there are people over there who give you 10 points for one rep, so it doesn't take long. I can't keep track of the numbers of when you go up, but right now when I rep I'm giving 4 points. I make that forum part of my daily round, I usually post there in the morning, then at night I go post again and pass out rep points. I like playing the games too, it's a nice quick little thing to do---doesn't take a lot of time either!

Old 11-08-2007, 07:26 AM

5,054 posts, read 12,426,048 times
Can someone tell me how to put up squash? Our store has an awesome sale this week - yellow and zucchini sq for 50 cents a pound - so I want to stock up on it. It's been $1.69/lb for a while now, so this is incredible! Anyway, how would I prepair it for freezing? I've never canned before, but I do have some freezer containers. Thanks!

Old 11-08-2007, 07:48 AM

37,471 posts, read 61,423,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcarim View Post
Can someone tell me how to put up squash? Our store has an awesome sale this week - yellow and zucchini sq for 50 cents a pound - so I want to stock up on it. It's been $1.69/lb for a while now, so this is incredible! Anyway, how would I prepair it for freezing? I've never canned before, but I do have some freezer containers. Thanks!
DW quarters it, boils it, shreds it, and freezes it in ziplock bags.

Pumpkins we quarter, boil, mash, and freeze or she cans.

Most of it we feed to the livestock though.

Old 11-08-2007, 02:51 PM

2,712 posts, read 5,656,187 times
Quote:
I cannot imagine that canned summer squash would do anything but turn to MUSH! Grated and frozen is great for quick zucchini bread, etc. but my favorite thing to do is slice it thin and dehydrate, for putting in soups etc. That way, I can add it to soup and stews and it doesn't disappear!

Old 11-08-2007, 05:10 PM

323 posts, read 993,390 times
You can steam and puree the zucchini and squash and store it in the freezer. Use zucchini in cakes , muffins and the squash you can add to sauce and lot's more things. Look into the cookbook Deceptively Delicious it gives you all kinds of hints. I have used some of her recipes and they are really good-

Old 11-09-2007, 06:02 AM

7,395 posts, read 13,104,828 times
It's funny how different Jake's growing up has been from his older brothers and sisters. The three of them are in high school, and Jake is in 3rd grade. We lived in Bangor for a quite a while when the older three were younger, so they know and are comfortable in large stores, the mall, the movie theaters with 8-12 different theaters. Jake was only a year old when we moved here. He and I are sitting here together watching TV, and a Wal-Mart commercial comes on, and the lady is making Thanksgiving dinner. Jake says "that's so silly. Wal-Mart doesn't sell turkeys!" So I told him about the Wal-Mart in Brewer, where one side is larger than our Wal-Mart, and the other side is a grocery store, again larger than ours. I wish you all could have seen his eyes!! "No Way!!" he says, I thought his eyes were going to pop out of his head! lol....so he thinks nothing of woods you could get lost in and never be found, beaches that go on forever, swimming at the lake in the summer and skating on it in the winter---but the thought of a Wal-Mart that big surprises him

Old 11-09-2007, 07:10 AM

5,054 posts, read 12,426,048 times
Molly, I think that's a wonderful thing! I've watched movies and dreamed all my life of having small shops to patron, with the locals who know me by name when I walk in the door. I've never met a butcher other than the ones who work behind the BIG DOOR at WM and the other retail chains we have. Talk to them or get a special cut of meat - good luck with that!

And I've never bought fresh produce from the farmers who actually produced it! I've never bought fresh fish off a dock - hell, I've never even seen FISHERMEN on a dock!! The closest I get to fish that is NOT frozen is in the case at the retail chains we have - and just try asking the guy behind that counter what kind of fish it may be - he gives you a blank stare, just before pulling the tag to read it so he'll know himself. Yeah, that's not exactly my idea of service and a smile....when I can get a smile.....

One of my favorite recent movies is Christmas with the Kranks - very silly, not the greatest acting, but we've watched it a dozen times with the kids and sit and laugh all the way through it anyway! In the beginning, they stop at a local "market" to pick up a few things for dinner. It's a little shop in the middle of a row of storefronts, and she knows the butcher by name, and he knows just where she'll find anything she's looking for. That is just such a cool concept! I hope that atmosphere still exists in Maine.

We're so anxious for a smaller, simpler, quieter more personalized way of life. Big box stores, Malls and cold retailers are quickly losing their appeal to so many of us. Just the other day, Olivia (my 5 y.o.) came running to me and showed me that her new slippers said on the bottom "made in China". She declared, "They were not made in China! They were made in Walmart!!"

Old 11-09-2007, 07:22 AM

37,471 posts, read 61,423,512 times
Quote:
And I've never bought fresh produce from the farmers who actually produced it! I've never bought fresh fish off a dock - hell, I've never even seen FISHERMEN on a dock!! The closest I get to fish that is NOT frozen is in the case at the retail chains we have - and just try asking the guy behind that counter what kind of fish it may be - he gives you a blank stare, just before pulling the tag to read it so he'll know himself. Yeah, that's not exactly my idea of service and a smile....when I can get a smile.....

One of my favorite recent movies is Christmas with the Kranks - very silly, not the greatest acting, but we've watched it a dozen times with the kids and sit and laugh all the way through it anyway! In the beginning, they stop at a local "market" to pick up a few things for dinner. It's a little shop in the middle of a row of storefronts, and she knows the butcher by name, and he knows just where she'll find anything she's looking for. That is just such a cool concept! I hope that atmosphere still exists in Maine.

We're so anxious for a smaller, simpler, quieter more personalized way of life. Big box stores, Malls and cold retailers are quickly losing their appeal to so many of us. Just the other day, Olivia (my 5 y.o.) came running to me and showed me that her new slippers said on the bottom "made in China". She declared, "They were not made in China! They were made in Walmart!!"
You have got to hit up the open air markets that are here.

Old 11-10-2007, 03:53 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,522,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollysmiles View Post
nope, you'd be surprised.....I post a little over in the games and community chat, pass out rep points to them, and they pass them back. The reason msina and I have gone up so quickly is because after you have a certain number points when you rep people you give more than 2 points....there are people over there who give you 10 points for one rep, so it doesn't take long. I can't keep track of the numbers of when you go up, but right now when I rep I'm giving 4 points. I make that forum part of my daily round, I usually post there in the morning, then at night I go post again and pass out rep points. I like playing the games too, it's a nice quick little thing to do---doesn't take a lot of time either!
There are games on here? That's so funny! I've never noticed. Occasionally I will hop on to the Ohio forum.. but usually straight to Maine and I stay there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine