Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 08:38 AM

1,473 posts, read 3,201,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novila View Post
Thanks mainebroker!

Your comments make me feel better about getting a dog without having a fence. As in my last post, I'm not used to the fenced-in dog myself but if it's required and I can afford it, I guess we'll have consider that route.
I don't think you need a fence for a greyhound. When I lived in Brunswick one of our neighbors had adopted one and they didn't have a fence. He would occasionally run over to my yard to investigate my dog, but they had no trouble getting him back.

But, I've got to warn you, greyhounds are "sight" hounds. Meaning they love to chase things running on the ground and they can put A LOT of distance between you and them fast. This is something that is strongly encouraged if they are raced. So, if you let them out, they require supervision at all times. They aren't a dog you can just let out the back door to do their business. You need to watch them, or maybe keep them on leash if they don't come when they are called dependably. There was a whippet (related to the greyhound) show dog that escaped at one of the New York airports a few years ago and I don't think they ever found it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2013, 06:30 AM

398 posts, read 698,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bangorme View Post
I don't think you need a fence for a greyhound. When I lived in Brunswick one of our neighbors had adopted one and they didn't have a fence. He would occasionally run over to my yard to investigate my dog, but they had no trouble getting him back.

But, I've got to warn you, greyhounds are "sight" hounds. Meaning they love to chase things running on the ground and they can put A LOT of distance between you and them fast. This is something that is strongly encouraged if they are raced. So, if you let them out, they require supervision at all times. They aren't a dog you can just let out the back door to do their business. You need to watch them, or maybe keep them on leash if they don't come when they are called dependably. There was a whippet (related to the greyhound) show dog that escaped at one of the New York airports a few years ago and I don't think they ever found it.
That does scare me, and I would never leave my dog outside unsupervised. But still scared my greyhound would bound off. Although there is quite a bit of private road between us and the "main" road. He's likely to land on someone's property, but you know how Mainers are with their "right to shoot" signs, so that's a real concern as well. Would hope it wouldn't come to that.

Old 05-30-2013, 07:21 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,546,475 times
Quote:
That does scare me, and I would never leave my dog outside unsupervised. But still scared my greyhound would bound off. Although there is quite a bit of private road between us and the "main" road. He's likely to land on someone's property, but you know how Mainers are with their "right to shoot" signs, so that's a real concern as well. Would hope it wouldn't come to that.
Where did you see "right to shoot" signs?

Old 05-30-2013, 03:43 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,232,757 times
Quote:
my greyhounds-i had two for a while
would once in a while bound away and take off,,,, i had my cell phone number on the collar,,,and ALWAYS if i lost the dog(s) for a while-and they can cover some ground,,,a neighbor down the street would call and say they have them- no big deal....not once did i ever think anyone would ever shoot these dogs-quite the opposite...they'd go out of there way to help "get" them...
your comment sounds foolish to me- these are great animals (dogs) and for the most part harmless..
no one would want to shoot a greyhound

Old 05-30-2013, 03:50 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,232,757 times
Quote:
Thanks mainebroker!

Your comments make me feel better about getting a dog without having a fence. As in my last post, I'm not used to the fenced-in dog myself but if it's required and I can afford it, I guess we'll have consider that route.
greyhounds are such good natured for being beat on at a young age (to race)
you'll find most mainers will want to approach and say hi to your greyhound...I use to take mine to a nearby busy park,,,,and all the other dog owners would come over to say hi...and pet the dogs

unlike some breeds,,,i have yet to see a greyhound growl at a stranger-mine didnt even bark!!! yet i could get her to howl if i howled...quite funny

Old 06-01-2013, 11:23 AM

2,788 posts, read 8,016,045 times
Quote:
There is no "right to shoot" trespassing pets in the state of Maine.

Woman Charged with Felony for Shooting Trespassing Bull Mastiff | Dog Haters Unite!

Old 06-01-2013, 12:45 PM

1,473 posts, read 3,201,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrackly View Post
There is no "right to shoot" trespassing pets in the state of Maine.

Woman Charged with Felony for Shooting Trespassing Bull Mastiff | Dog Haters Unite!
One little detail here is that this woman hasn't been convicted of anything as far as I know, and doubt she will be. You have the right to be on your property and not be threatened by other people's dogs. The key word here is threatened. That's quite different from claiming that you can shoot any pet that wonders onto your property, which I've never personally heard claimed in Maine. The biggest lesson here is that dog owners are RESPONSIBLE for their dogs. That include barking, defecating, wondering, chasing wildlife, etc. Unfortunately it is virtually impossible to enforce that responsibility in Maine.

Old 06-02-2013, 09:34 AM

30,261 posts, read 23,746,924 times
Quote:
Yes, I am concerned about this too. I mean, we'll certainly give it a go (rescue dog without building a fence) but if it doesn't work out just because of that, well at least we tried. Maybe it's just me but the thought of putting a (high, for greyhounds) fence a few feet square up as designated "dog space" seems more cruel to me than anything. We had our last dogs in NYC and kept 'em (with us at all times) in the backyard, no leash, no fence, they were fine and happy. The thought of tying a dog up or fencing him seem a little too similar form of neglect, and that's not why I want a dog.
I do not disagree with you. I think rescues should base things on a case by case and not use a blanket on all potential pet owners. Yes, some people DO leave their dogs in the back yard with no fence or an inadequate fence and the dog gets out. Yep, that happens. These are people who view the backyard as the appropriate place to leave their dog all day long and all night. IF someone needs to leave their pet in the yard, then it needs to have a fence. But someone should be there if the dog is in the yard, or, in your case, always be with the dog when he/she is outside.

But, unfortunately, most rescues don't view things objectively. Many of those who work in rescue have seen some really bad things, get frustrated and then, in time, can become very bitter and get really strict about who gets what animal. It's not to say there are no good rescues, it's just unfortunate that there are too many who forget why they got in to the whole 'business' in the first place.

Quote:
Not to sound like I'm psychotic, but that's pretty hardcore, if you're serious. I do wonder how our neighbors got their beagle...
As I said above, some rescues ARE like this. It is very unfortunate and I think it does more harm to animals than good. They do home visits and "get to know" people. Or, that's what they claim. But I think some of them have forgotten how to be objective and not get all insanely emotionally involved to the point that they no longer see anyone as a viable candidate for the animals they have rescued.

Like I said, give it a try but don't be surprised if you run in to this type of rescue. And if you get turned down by one, try another one. But also, don't forget the pound animals.

Quote:
I'm thinking about this now. I love the idea of saving a dog from the pound, if they allow you to do this. I guess a concern would be the mental/emotional state of the dog who's been on "death row"? Still, well worth checking out, thanks for this post.
More often than not, you are going to find an animal that is relieved. You will find a loyal companion. Not one single animal in that pound has no clue what is going on, they all know what is going on. Their senses are strong enough for them to know. When they are taken from that horrid place, I won't say it's "grateful" like a human emotion but it's about as close as you are going to get. They will be "grateful" and show that to you for the rest of their lives.

Too many people out there, (breeders), like to spread the myth that rescues and shelter or pound animals have "problems". Load of crap. A total load of crap. Go in there, see if you can find a dog you might like, ask to have the dog taken out and see if you can spend a little time with the dog and see how it reacts to you. Just about every single thing, "wrong", with a dog can be trained. You will know if it's going to work out. One piece of advice: Not a lot of dogs like hats, for some reason. So don't be that stranger walking in wearing a hat.

Old 06-02-2013, 11:19 AM

793 posts, read 1,343,568 times
We checked out the humane society before we went the adoption route. They were very strict, but in our case, not overly so. Our sons were 4 and 5 years old at the time and none of the dogs onsite were a good fit. We were fine with that, because looking at the big picture, it's about what's right for the animals, not for the people wanting to adopt.

Concerning breeders, I like what Three Wolves said. Seriously, of course they're going to try and sway folks away from adopting. Duh. It affects their livelihood.

One more thing... whatever you decide to do, don't buy from a pet store! I was astonished to learn where most of those dogs come from. Disgusting and heartbreaking.

Old 06-04-2013, 02:37 PM

398 posts, read 698,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Flyer View Post
We checked out the humane society before we went the adoption route. They were very strict, but in our case, not overly so. Our sons were 4 and 5 years old at the time and none of the dogs onsite were a good fit. We were fine with that, because looking at the big picture, it's about what's right for the animals, not for the people wanting to adopt.

Concerning breeders, I like what Three Wolves said. Seriously, of course they're going to try and sway folks away from adopting. Duh. It affects their livelihood.

One more thing... whatever you decide to do, don't buy from a pet store! I was astonished to learn where most of those dogs come from. Disgusting and heartbreaking.
Radio, Do you mean the ones from pet stores are also rescues? I've never done the pet store thing but I imagined those dogs were somehow given away by owners, never really thought about the circumstances.

Maine Writer, I am under the impression that it is legal to shoot trespassers. There is also the possibility of my having to follow an errant dog onto someone's property which not only wouldn't help us make neighborly friends, but could also be dangerous. The signs in question don't say "right to shoot", they say "trespassers will be shot" and "caution: will not call 911". I feel I have no choice but to take these seriously!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine