Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 03:40 PM

264 posts, read 398,157 times

Advertisements

Geez, I don't miss that stuff at all. I'm presently watching the USC-UCLA game, and it is chiily and blustery outside. The sun is shining, but the temps are about 55. It's flannel shirt weather in So Cal, and time for some liquor...it's after noon, correct?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2007, 05:14 PM

28 posts, read 56,024 times
What do you wear when the weather gets to -15 (with windchill)? Do you still go outside and walk your dog? Do the kids play outside in that weather?

Like Parrotpaul said it's about 55 degrees here in southern california and I'm in flannel (jammy pants) and layered t-shirt with sweatshirt over it - doors wide open - no heater.

Old 12-01-2007, 05:17 PM

5,054 posts, read 12,425,258 times
Wow! Hard to believe it's cooler in CA than in Texas....We've been in the mid 70s and humid as hell all day! Tomorrow they're saying 80. I'm wearing a thin cotton sleeveless sundress today.

Old 12-01-2007, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal2Maine View Post
What do you wear when the weather gets to -15 (with windchill)? Do you still go outside and walk your dog? Do the kids play outside in that weather?

Like Parrotpaul said it's about 55 degrees here in southern california and I'm in flannel (jammy pants) and layered t-shirt with sweatshirt over it - doors wide open - no heater.
I always wore a down parka. I never wore long underwear after I left grade school....gloves are a must...lots of sweaters, flannel shirts, and an electric blanket for the bed is a must. We even bought small lap size electric blankets for TV watching during the winter (we are presently using them watching the game...great for cool CA days)...it saved lots of fuel oil dollars, and they are quite comfortable and nice. Waterproof footwear is necessary from about the end of October until May. I never liked hats, but if you are going to be outside for long periods of time, a wool stocking hat is great. A scarf is a plus.

Some kids play, some don't. You always have to be very careful with frostbite on exposed areas of the skin. I doubt you would see many -15 degree days. Many in the teens, but probably most in the 20's.

Dogs will let you know when they are ready to come in. Frequently they don't like to go out when it's real cold, but you can persuade them. Smaller dogs, or short haired dogs are frequently seen with doggie jackets.

Old 12-01-2007, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcarim View Post
Wow! Hard to believe it's cooler in CA than in Texas....We've been in the mid 70s and humid as hell all day! Tomorrow they're saying 80. I'm wearing a thin cotton sleeveless sundress today.
We had some well-needed rain yesterday...first day long rain storm we have had for many months. It cleared the air, washed most cars, and killed the musky smell of burned land in the foothills. It also brought cool, clear, crisp December air. People talk a lot about California smog, but here in Laguna Hills the air is usually excellent quality...as good as it was in the Portland area.

Old 12-01-2007, 05:46 PM

2,724 posts, read 6,427,044 times
Quote:
Today I had a lot of chores to do outside to prepare for the 12"-18" of snow predicted for Sunday night/Monday. It got up to 15 today with a strong wind. I wore wool coat and pants as this seems to block the very cold air. During a snowstorm I prefer gortex as it breathes and blocks the wind.
The dog is on his own when it gets this cold.
Heck yes, as a kid we'd play outside til we were so cold all feeling would leave our extremities, then go inside and dear Mom would take our outer clothes off, place them on the radiator, and as soon as we were warm enough we'd head back out!

Old 12-01-2007, 05:47 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,863,158 times
Quote:

My boys were outside almost all day. Had to just about drag them into the house when the sun went down and the temp started to drop. Plus they had to get ready for Supper. Oh yeah, dog walking, kids playing, working outside, life outside goes on when the mercury drops. My boys will continue to play outside, and I will continue to work outside even when the wind chill is WELL below -50, been out there working when the wind was under -100 before (That stinks, I don't care who you are.) For the boys it is the same as for adults, good under layers, with a top notch outer layer jacket and pants. Good boots, gloves, and multi-layer hats. Best boots you can buy, end of story. If the best you can afford is comfort rated to 0, buy them big and layer wool socks. I have a set rated to -125 and never wear more than one thin set of wool socks. When your feet are done, so are you, fun is over and time to get inside. For me it is only Carhartt Extreme Arctic weight jackets and overhauls.

< Tip with gloves from somebody who sometimes HAS to be out in bitter weather: 2 sets of glove liners - one on your hands, the other tucked by your armpits between your inner most layer and the next one. Good set of outer layer gloves, I like beeswax treated water repellent lined leather personally. When your fingers start to get cold, turn your back to the wind and switch sets of glove liners. Viola warm fingers and the other set will be warmed back up by the time you need them again. You can switch liners 15 times a day if you need to and never freeze a fingertip even if out in bone chilling temps for 10+ hours.> Warm hands makes a giant difference.

Old 12-01-2007, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7th generation View Post
Today I had a lot of chores to do outside to prepare for the 12"-18" of snow predicted for Sunday night/Monday. It got up to 15 today with a strong wind. I wore wool coat and pants as this seems to block the very cold air. During a snowstorm I prefer gortex as it breathes and blocks the wind.
The dog is on his own when it gets this cold.
Heck yes, as a kid we'd play outside til we were so cold all feeling would leave our extremities, then go inside and dear Mom would take our outer clothes off, place them on the radiator, and as soon as we were warm enough we'd head back out!
I think the smell of wet wool mittens and socks drying on the radiator will be with me forever...and visions of my rubber boots turned upside down on the hot air grates.

When I was in grade school, the radiators in the classrooms would be lined with drying clothing. That smell is probably a thing of the past with all the new waterproof and synthetic warming materials. So are steam radiators..

Old 12-01-2007, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrotpaul View Post
Some kids play, some don't. You always have to be very careful with frostbite on exposed areas of the skin. I doubt you would see many -15 degree days. Many in the teens, but probably most in the 20's.
Maybe Portland, here in the Presque Isle/ Caribou area we will go weeks in the negative numbers actual temps for lows, and several days in a row where it is -10 or -15 for a daily high. Weeks at a time where it is -20 or lower if you figure wind chill.

Old 12-01-2007, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrotpaul View Post
I think the smell of wet wool mittens and socks drying on the radiator will be with me forever...and visions of my rubber boots turned upside down on the hot air grates.

When I was in grade school, the radiators in the classrooms would be lined with drying clothing. That smell is probably a thing of the past with all the new waterproof and synthetic warming materials. So are steam radiators..
Don't forget the smell of those wool boot liners when they are wicked hot because you forgot to remove them from the grate as well. That is one I'll go to my grave remembering as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine