Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2018, 06:44 AM

3,925 posts, read 4,131,283 times

Advertisements

Got about 3 inches of the 1-2 now on the ground.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2018, 12:39 PM

Seems like now we have about 10 inches out of the new prediction of 5-8 inches. Reminds me of a time about 41 years ago when I went to work with a predicted storm total of 1 inch, and by afternoon with frequent upgrades, they were predicting 22 inches with howling winds. I left early since I was NOT going to stay overnight with the crazy kids. I was working in a private children’s psychiatric hospital at the time.

Old 01-30-2018, 01:35 PM

Up to 11 inches now of the predicted 5-8 inches. I think we have been supersized.

Old 01-30-2018, 10:05 PM

1,246 posts, read 1,301,304 times
This was the worst weather channel fail every !
Started out as 1-3" last night in forecast- this morning 5-8... Turned into At least 14"...
Come on now... in 12 Hours- a little dusting of 1-3" and its 14" ?????
If they had just said last night " 8-12".... all would be fine- but this was a Huge Weather channel fail !

Old 01-31-2018, 08:45 AM

The weather is fundamentally not predictable. The weather systems use predictive computer models, and no and then something happens that is not included in the model, and thus we get a result which wasn’t forecast by the model.

Before models it was only the experience of the forecaster.

And when that happened badly the forecaster lost his job. In PA in 2000, a Philadelphia station weather guy predicted a confluence of 3 storms out over Hatteras(NC), that would bring a blizzard to eastern PA, with 2 foot snow depths and howling winds. All the other stations were far far more conservative. There was only a dusting, and the storms didn’t actually form at all. He lost his job and ended up as the weather guy in some little local station in Minnesota(he could predict as much snow there as he wanted since it snow continuously starting in November). It took 12 years before he got a job back in the Philly Market and then it was on the local Fox Station.

Old 02-02-2018, 10:01 AM

749 posts, read 419,019 times
Currently here in Aurora, ME, 21F Degrees, Dew Point 16F Degrees, Winds WNW 15mph, Predicted high, 28F Degrees, Predicted Low -1F Degrees, Snowing - sometimes heavily Accumulated snow 4", Beginning to see high drifts.
Husband, Jon is continuing to work 50hrs at bakery and was expected to arrive early this morning, however, about a half an hour into his commute, I received a call from from him, while I was at home, indicating that Route 9, heading East from the Amherst area was a sheet of ice...he had managed (at 10mph), to slipped off the road and his controlled slide, landed him on the side of the road. Jon managed to get turned around and followed Maine-Dot truck (with a group of other travellers). The group (containing some truck drivers), pulled off the side of the road and waited for some traction....Jon returned home thankfully, safe!

Last edited by NortheasternBound; 02-02-2018 at 10:11 AM..

Old 02-05-2018, 04:22 PM

83,523 posts, read 75,333,969 times
Been a while. Hope you guys are doing well. Winter still going... New snowstorm Wednesday..

Should be fun to watch. Starts in Maine Wednesday evening. Ended Thursday morning. Stay safe.

Snow Total Forecast

Old 02-05-2018, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox2 View Post
Seems like now we have about 10 inches out of the new prediction of 5-8 inches. Reminds me of a time about 41 years ago when I went to work with a predicted storm total of 1 inch, and by afternoon with frequent upgrades, they were predicting 22 inches with howling winds. I left early since I was NOT going to stay overnight with the crazy kids. I was working in a private children’s psychiatric hospital at the time.
Understand! Was a Shelter Home for troubled youth for five years! Seen and experienced what only Missionaries would abroad. Must have taken in 75 boys and one girl (for 24-7), into my home! Evaluated and stabilized these children/young adults to see if they could continue for placement...Then, was Certified for Developmentally Disabled Children for three years.. Now, prefer to live beyond what some would call remote!

Old 02-05-2018, 05:58 PM

Currently here in Aurora, ME...21F Degrees Dew Point 7F Degrees, Winds West 13mph, Forecasted Low, 8F Degrees, ..
Left this morning with everything melting and 36F Degrees...Headed West on Route 9, early...only to get stuck behind a line of traffick (due to a couple of tractor trailers in the road, and one other vehicle off the road), (I believed it was around Parks Pond) for at least an hour! So, we returned to Amherst and visited with the locals (at Ralph's Got Gas - General Store) and at least nine truckers parked and heading West...After five hours of Route 9 being closed, finally made it into work...
Thankful we didn't leave earlier and end up amongst those in the accident!

Old 02-06-2018, 07:18 AM

846 posts, read 1,020,526 times
You couldn’t go down 179? Not sure where you work. I drove it the night of the big storm January 4th was at Home Depot in Ellsworth. I love that road. One of my favorite motorcycle rides (in the summer)!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine