Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2015, 09:22 AM

4,565 posts, read 10,656,913 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox2 View Post
Mine got stuck on a piece of ice from the plowing in. The secondary blower was working but the primary wouldn't move. I thought it was broken. I would have have had to call Keegan next door to add us to the snow plowing list at $50+ a storm.
Sounds like a shear pin. $0.50 cents to fix. Easily do it yourself. Its designed to break when you hit something hard so you dont destroy your snowblower.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2015, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox2 View Post
Walk behind snow blowers have the expectation that you have an asphalt drive way.
I had a snowblower with a rock driveway for 10 years. I only replaced one shear pin. Just put the skids in the side all the way down so your not throwing rocks. Works fine. Do you get ALL the snow? No. But at least you bring it down to 1" inch.

Old 02-04-2015, 12:31 PM

3,925 posts, read 4,130,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 399083453 View Post
Sounds like a shear pin. $0.50 cents to fix. Easily do it yourself. Its designed to break when you hit something hard so you dont destroy your snowblower.

Nothing was broken. I freed it up and kept going. Been using a snow blower on gravel and asphalt for mo than 10 years.

Old 02-04-2015, 01:18 PM

1,246 posts, read 1,301,068 times
Quote:
Yea we were prepared for that on our snow blower repair. However- the blades/shoot did not move.
When seeing if its a sheer pin, how you tell is that with the engine off, if you can move the blades, then its the sheer pin.
Our snow blower issue turned out to the 'dawgs'. Not sure of the spelling- but that is how pronounced. It had frozen up, and with some WD40, back in use in no time.

Quote:
I had a snowblower with a rock driveway for 10 years. I only replaced one shear pin. Just put the skids in the side all the way down so your not throwing rocks. Works fine. Do you get ALL the snow? No. But at least you bring it down to 1" inch.
We have asplate but there are areas that its down to dirt and grass we have to clear for the dogs. So far its doing well, though it is leaving about an inch of snow on the ground. At least we have a path.

*edit- Oh cool! I figured out how to do attachements LOL

With 4 days coming of snow ( again...)- its starting to look interesting outside with 6-8' banks of snow.
Attached Thumbnails
okay.. where to put the snow...-dsc02265.jpg  

Old 02-04-2015, 01:27 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
FWIW - when I had to use a snow blower I found that appropriate size common nails made effective sheer pins. they were a lot less expensive then the pins sold for the machine and, being made of soft steel, worked just as well. the moving parts were protected if they swallowed something they could not handle.

The snow piles next to some of the parking areas for our condo complex are getting nearly as big as some of the buildings. Here in SE New Hampshire we had 30" followed by 13" a couple of days later. Looks like we may have just as much over next weekend. Great fun.

Old 02-04-2015, 02:06 PM

Jeez- no wonder we feel buried! We kept asking the locals if this is 'normal' and they kept saying soundly " No".
Well its offical -
At 76 inches, Eastport sets new statewide snowfall record — Down East — Bangor Daily News — BDN Maine

Old 02-04-2015, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
FWIW - when I had to use a snow blower I found that appropriate size common nails made effective sheer pins. they were a lot less expensive then the pins sold for the machine and, being made of soft steel, worked just as well. the moving parts were protected if they swallowed something they could not handle.
BAD ADVICE. Nails are much stronger than shear pins. This is a horrible idea. You will end up wrecking the snowblower if you do this. Use the proper shear pin. They are meant to break so they dont ruin your machine. They are very cheap, use em.

Old 02-04-2015, 05:30 PM

Quote:
BAD ADVICE. Nails are much stronger than shear pins. This is a horrible idea. You will end up wrecking the snowblower if you do this. Use the proper shear pin. They are meant to break so they dont ruin your machine. They are very cheap, use em.
My husband is a retired engineer. He would not use anything but the correct part.. trust me.. I know...

Old 02-04-2015, 08:24 PM

468 posts, read 758,629 times
Testing shear pins is easy. With the engine off, push down on the rakes with your foot. If one side can turn easily and the other can't, the turning side broke it's pin.

If you're still out in the snow, the side with the broken pin will usually still be full of snow. In that case, it might not turn so easily with the foot test, but probably the pin is still snapped.

Old 02-04-2015, 10:55 PM

468 posts, read 758,629 times
....broke its pin, not "it's pin."

Silly auto-spell is not all it's cracked up to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine