Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2008, 09:59 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,547,807 times

Advertisements

Things that happen in the fall on a small farm in Maine:

They're penned today so that they don't eat too much before butchering day tomorrow.

It's good to be a duck!

Remember the poults I hatched in the incubator this year?

Naturally grown apples - not even organic pesticides were used! These are Northern Spy.

Old 10-03-2008, 10:06 AM

612 posts, read 1,216,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txmom View Post
We are moving back to Old Town, hopefully in time for Halloween. We are sitting in an apartment here in Florida, pondering the thought of sinking our life savings into a home. I know this is a good time to buy a house, but our gut feelings are telling us to get out of here and go back to the trailer in Old Town (that has no mortgage). Hubby and I miss our backyard forest.

Guess the first thing we'll do is replace some of the windows. It's a 1968 Holly Park mobile home. It's really sweet. Anyhow, I feel very bad that we made the decision to move down here. We moved here with the best of intentions, but we all know where that road sometimes leads.
Gooooooooo home to Maine...back to your backyard forest...if that is where your heart is...mine is in Eastport. Don't buy a house in Florida!!! If you have room...stop in theJacksonville area (Fleming Island-Hwy 17 North) and pick me up. Best of Luck and be safe traveling.

Old 10-03-2008, 10:25 AM

5,054 posts, read 12,426,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollysmiles View Post
Yes!! call me!!

We had a scare at the end of spring semester.... I did hear the sirens, so I knew something was up! The good thing is the sweep goes pretty quickly, and they usually catch the "bomber" before the sweep is even over!

I should have mentioned in the reply to Elcarim about the adjustments that we don't look all the doors at school and don't have metal detectors up here..... nor is there bulletproof glass or locked access to the kids. One of my friends who moved away and has been away for a long time said that she wouldn't feel safe with her kids in a school that didn't have all that protection. I wouldn't feel safe if my kids *needed* all that protection!
I agree! I know just how it feels to be kept away from my own kids, but I know they're relatively safe that way. It's absolutely necessary here. I don't even let them out of the van and drive off without watching them enter the building safely. That's our way of life!

The problem really comes in when we get notice that a school staff member has been arrested for solicitation of a minor. (end of school last year) And it's the parents coming and going they're worried about. It also sucks that we have to do background checks before being allowed to go on the field trips.

Old 10-03-2008, 02:27 PM

2,712 posts, read 5,656,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
Things that happen in the fall on a small farm in Maine:

They're penned today so that they don't eat too much before butchering day tomorrow.

I showed K "dinner." LOL BTW he says "skin 'em" as he is trying to make dietary changes ... so we won't have to put on the scalding pot to pluck any tomorrow.

I'm leaving here around 4 AM...

Old 10-03-2008, 03:05 PM

I'll wait to start the fire until we're about half way through the chickens. That will give me time to build a good fire and get the water hot for the turkey(s). I think I want to do one or two for us now too. The coffee's in the cupboard under the mixer, use warm water because the coffee maker doesn't heat up that icy cold well water very well. Kidding! I'll be up by 5 am, the coffee will be on and the apple pie muffins will still be warm. Don't forget a cooler that will hold a dozen birds.

Old 10-03-2008, 03:21 PM

Quote:
I'll wait to start the fire until we're about half way through the chickens. That will give me time to build a good fire and get the water hot for the turkey(s). I think I want to do one or two for us now too. The coffee's in the cupboard under the mixer, use warm water because the coffee maker doesn't heat up that icy cold well water very well. Kidding! I'll be up by 5 am, the coffee will be on and the apple pie muffins will still be warm. Don't forget a cooler that will hold a dozen birds.
I'll be bringing both of the coolers, just to be on the safe side. Also just spoke with the scythe folks... they have my new "weapon" ready for pick up after we are done.

I am going to try to get to sleep earlier than usual...shouldn't be too hard, I am tired already. After everything else I ended up digging my red and blue 'taters when I was out at the garden. K took the blow dryer to the dog while I was gone and toweled most of the cats some... they are mostly dry, which is a good thing, as I had one under the covers last night as well as several on top of me. Being cuddled up to by a DAMP cat would not help me to get to sleep, no matter how much he purred.

Old 10-04-2008, 05:06 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,522,024 times
Star, I'm loving the duck pool!!!

Old 10-04-2008, 06:56 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,492,924 times
Quote:
Things that happen in the fall on a small farm in Maine: They're penned today so that they don't eat too much before butchering day tomorrow.
MW, thanks for sharing the pictures! I would so much like to have a set-up like yours! The duck-pool is just too much! The northern Spy's look scrumptious! Even the turkeys are giving me the hungry's!

Old 10-04-2008, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
MW, thanks for sharing the pictures! I would so much like to have a set-up like yours! The duck-pool is just too much! The northern Spy's look scrumptious! Even the turkeys are giving me the hungry's!
I'd show you the end result but I don't want to cause a hissy fit. We did 46 chickens and three heritage breed Bourbon Red turkey hens. It's cold, windy and cloudy - not a great day to have your hands in cold well water, but it's done. We've done turkeys in rain and snow so I'm not complaining too much. I'm very very pleased with the chickens. Out of 46 birds only one was fatty. I don't let them sit around and eat, sleep and poop. They have to find a lot of their own food. The carcasses look grat.

The ducks are still alive and quacking. I couldn't do it. Picking out two of the three turkeys was hard. I've "known" them for 15 months. I know which ducks were going to be butchered but after the turkeys and the cold, I'd had enough. They'll probably die of old age right here where they were born.

Old 10-04-2008, 06:56 PM

Quote:
I'd show you the end result but I don't want to cause a hissy fit. We did 46 chickens and three heritage breed Bourbon Red turkey hens. It's cold, windy and cloudy - not a great day to have your hands in cold well water, but it's done. We've done turkeys in rain and snow so I'm not complaining too much. I'm very very pleased with the chickens. Out of 46 birds only one was fatty. I don't let them sit around and eat, sleep and poop. They have to find a lot of their own food. The carcasses look grat.

The ducks are still alive and quacking. I couldn't do it. Picking out two of the three turkeys was hard. I've "known" them for 15 months. I know which ducks were going to be butchered but after the turkeys and the cold, I'd had enough. They'll probably die of old age right here where they were born.
yes we did do a good bit of work today! I did get my scythe, (took a nap waiting for her to get back from the fair) and am home, fed, birds in the freezer and looking at a HOT BATH and BED! Long day, but well worth it. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine