Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 04:34 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,485,774 times

Advertisements

We've been noticing a few small signs, here and there, that the most glorious season of all is gettin' ready to arrive - FALL!

A couple of mornings last week, I started up the Big Buddy propane heater in the kitchen before DW came down. No frost yet...but nights have been getting chilly! The skies are clearing to the most beautiful deep blue - no haze at all. The birds have been silly and starting their acrobatics, no more morning songs. No foliage changes here, yet. But a steaming cup of homemade soup tastes extra-good!

Anybody else notice any changes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2008, 04:49 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,540,190 times
I love it! It's warm, 58*, but there's that chilly feel to the air. I threw on a wool sweater before taking my coffee out to the greenhouses this morning.

Old 08-17-2008, 05:05 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,679,925 times
We have bright red leaves on the swamp maples and we have seen 46 and 48 on a couple of mornings.

Old 08-17-2008, 05:11 AM

4,462 posts, read 8,021,048 times
Autumnal signs

Here in southern New England the signs are; Sunset occurring earlier, and sunrise later- we are loosing up to three minutes of light a day now, as the sun glides further lower on the ecliptic-leaving the zodiacal constellation of Cancer- into Leo. The suns stands approximately on the first magnitude star Regulus (heart of the Lion) in Leo on August 22nd.

The 'Dog Days' ended August 12th- which means after that date the brightest star in the Heavens Alpha Canis Majoris ('Sirius' )will begin to rise before the sun. The Dog Days are known in Northern Hemisphere folklore as the hottest days of the year-beginning in late June. But there is actually scientific/astronomical significance.

By the 21st- two months past the Summer solstice- the air and landscape begin to take on a different aura- its still warm- but the nights are slightly cooler. By months end the declining sun, heading south toward the equator bound for a date with the September equinox (Sept 22) has lost most of its strength. The gardens are overgrown now- I do minimal weeding. The perennials are beginning to look tired, but the later ones ready to bloom. By September 1st the weather is still balmy and warm- but the first corn stalks begin to appear with pumpkins and mums at garden centers and super markets. The trees are still green- showing little evidence of change.

The transition from summer to Autumn is subtle here- but is unmistakable.

Last edited by skytrekker; 08-17-2008 at 05:21 AM..

Old 08-17-2008, 01:46 PM

22,921 posts, read 28,263,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
Anybody else notice any changes?
Here in Brunswick, the afternoons are starting to get that Fall-is-knocking-on-the-door quality to the light. It's my favorite part of summer. Still nice outside, but not so abomindably hot, and the nights come earlier and cool off faster. The trees are getting heavy with fruit.

I'm counting the days till Autumn. My favorite time of year!

Old 08-17-2008, 02:23 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,426,878 times
Oh guys, photos - you've got to put up photos!

We're still in the 90s in the days and if we're super lucky it'll get to the lower 60s at night. Ack! Although we do have leaves falling off the trees - my female rottie was chasing them this afternoon when the wind blew. I'm just not sure why they're falling. The weather isn't cooler.

Old 08-17-2008, 04:11 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,485,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
Oh guys, photos - you've got to put up photos!
Alas...nothing yet to take pictures of (not here, anyway!). It's more of a "feel" in the air, and a "look" about the sun - not so high in the sky. It still gets plenty hot in the daytime, in the 80's here. But the haze is gone from the sky, the heaviness of humidity has abated, and the evenings are to die for. After about 6 pm, it's my kinda weather!

Thanks all for your observations! I knew I couldn't be the only one noticing!

Old 08-17-2008, 05:52 PM

566 posts, read 1,417,630 times
I was looking at some Mums today for the front steps. Soon there will be pumpkins, Mums and cornstalks in season for decorating. The smell of burning leaves in the crisp air always reminds me of being a kid again. There is nothing like the smell of fresh apple pie and the enjoyment of a hot stew and fresh biscuits. This time of year brings back memories of the feelings of excitement/dread of a new school year starting. I love the warm days and cool nights. Before we know it Thanksgiving will be upon us. I love that holiday as it is about being with family and friends and not about gift giving and the hectic pace we seem to have to keep with Christmas. (I love Christmas I just wish it did not somehow always seem to turn hectic) I wish we could just go through until Christmas and then fast forward to late April early May and skip the rest of the winter season.
Anyway..fall is nearly here yipee!!!!

Old 08-17-2008, 09:50 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,752,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdstlouis View Post
I was looking at some Mums today for the front steps. Soon there will be pumpkins, Mums and cornstalks in season for decorating. The smell of burning leaves in the crisp air always reminds me of being a kid again. There is nothing like the smell of fresh apple pie and the enjoyment of a hot stew and fresh biscuits. This time of year brings back memories of the feelings of excitement/dread of a new school year starting. I love the warm days and cool nights. Before we know it Thanksgiving will be upon us. I love that holiday as it is about being with family and friends and not about gift giving and the hectic pace we seem to have to keep with Christmas. (I love Christmas I just wish it did not somehow always seem to turn hectic) I wish we could just go through until Christmas and then fast forward to late April early May and skip the rest of the winter season.
Anyway..fall is nearly here yipee!!!!
Thank you for the lovely post, sdstlouis!! You put me in the Fall mood
No sign ever of Fall here. We barely begin breathing again come Halloween.

Old 08-18-2008, 03:24 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,540,190 times
You know fall is on its way when it's 44* at 5 am. I didn't disturb the birds in the greenhouse, they looked cold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine