Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 02:47 PM
RHB

1,098 posts, read 2,152,178 times

Advertisements

Back to the op...you will learn to drive in the snow and ice, just take it slow, give the plows a chance to do their thing, and you will be fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2009, 04:47 PM

444 posts, read 929,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RHB View Post
Back to the op...you will learn to drive in the snow and ice, just take it slow, give the plows a chance to do their thing, and you will be fine.
RHB, this is great advice.

The original poster moving to Maine might want to check out this thread:
//www.city-data.com/forum/maine...verything.html

Old 10-06-2009, 06:17 PM

4,112 posts, read 6,522,672 times
I'll need to invest in snow tires.. or maybe just a snowmobile.. watch out for me.. I have found almost without exception that Mainers are the most helpful, genuinely nice people anywhere.

Old 10-07-2009, 09:22 AM

Location: Hidin' out on the Mexican border;about to move to the Canadian border
732 posts, read 1,341,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dramamama6685 View Post
I'll need to invest in snow tires.. or maybe just a snowmobile.. watch out for me.. I have found almost without exception that Mainers are the most helpful, genuinely nice people anywhere.
I was concerned about the snow, too. But the road crews in town and out do a great job of keeping the roads pretty clear. You just have to take it easy and drive sensibly. I imagine you've driven in snow in Ohio. You'll be fine.

Old 10-07-2009, 10:23 AM
RHB

1,098 posts, read 2,152,178 times
That's why, after the first good snow, you need to hit your breaks HARD so you know how the car is going to handle. Just in case anyone is thinking I recommend this on the road, I don't, in the driveway, or if the snow happens while away from home, in an empty cornor of the parking lot.

Peachie, I think you are just....peachie We all have faults, if we only focus on them, they we wouldn't like anyone...not even ourselves

Old 10-07-2009, 12:05 PM

2,712 posts, read 5,656,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RHB View Post
That's why, after the first good snow, you need to hit your breaks HARD so you know how the car is going to handle. Just in case anyone is thinking I recommend this on the road, I don't, in the driveway, or if the snow happens while away from home, in an empty cornor of the parking lot.
Even when I didn't live in snow country, every time I got a new vehicle I would take it to an empty parking lot some time when it would be slick -- rainy if not ice and snow -- and try to "throw it around" to see when, and how, it would break loose.

Not only is it fun but it helps you, in an emergency situation, to have practiced what you have been taught, and to know what your vehicle feels like just *before* it lets go of the road and what works to keep in attached.

Old 10-09-2009, 10:03 PM

3,266 posts, read 5,636,917 times
I lived in Bangor for a year and a half. I would move back with a slight bit of persuation but the wife says "NO"! No more long winters for her. (She grew up in New Brunswick, Can.). I live in East Texas and have for about 80% of my life.

I found/find the cost of living higher and real estate more costly but not so much that we couldn't afford it.

My likes on Maine ... specifically Bangor area was the nature scene. I am an outdoors guy and I was in near Nirvana there. But that lasts only 6-7 months (for me ... I don't snowmobile or ice fish or ski). Having said that my time on the water there was pure ecstacy (I fish)!

If I were to live there though I'd have to learn a lot ... we are fairly self sufficient here and learning to deal with winter and having animals and raising food would be different for sure!

I do miss Maine, but when I was there I missed Texas too! I just need 2 homes!

Old 10-10-2009, 05:31 AM

7,395 posts, read 13,106,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper1212 View Post
I was concerned about the snow, too. But the road crews in town and out do a great job of keeping the roads pretty clear. You just have to take it easy and drive sensibly. I imagine you've driven in snow in Ohio. You'll be fine.
Keep in mind you can't rely on those road crews. Equipment breaks down, men need rest, and sometimes they just can't keep up with the storm.

The best advice is to invest in a good tire, personally I prefer snow tires. They withstand the colder temperatures better and are designed more for winter conditions than an all season. I also suggest spending some time in an empty parking lot with your vehicle braking, starting, turning. This gives you an idea of how your vehicle is going to respond in various situations.

Be smart. Rely on yourself before anyone or anything else. Make your plans based upon your ability to drive in the conditions, not that the road crew is *supposed* to be keeping it all clear.

Old 10-11-2009, 07:52 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,980,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper1212 View Post
Oh, my God! The state of Texas is evacuating to Maine! We moved here in March, about a month after Elcarim and family. That's just two of us who moved to this town, and I think there are more. And that doesn't include the Texans who have since moved to other parts of Maine.
Your biggest challenge in relocating to Maine is going to finding work, even with good qualifications. Cost of living, as compared to DFW, yeah, maybe even cheaper. For us, it was a higher cost because we came from the border. You'll love the price of houses, but keep in mind that you have to be careful what you buy because of heating costs.
Mosquitoes? Yeah. But they're nothing compared to the black flies. They attack, and you don't know it until you see the blood where you've been bitten.
Bangor is a great area. We're about two hours from there, and two hours in any direction from Bangor will take you to all kinds of places--the coast, the mountains, wildlife areas or even Canada. If you fly up for your visit, be warned. You have to make several stops. We took four planes up and three back. But at least it doesn't take us 14 hours to get to the state line anymore.
Feel free to send DM's with questions about things in particular. I can help with the newbee stuff. Others on here will give you lots of very helpful info about how to survive in Maine. I don't know what we would have done without their help.
Any advice for older, nearly retired folks, moving to Maine (ie, best towns and healthcare, safety, etc)

Old 10-11-2009, 08:20 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,974,083 times
We have chosen to retire in Eastport. We bought our home in Eastport 6 years ago, a fixer-upper and we fix a room each summer. We chose Eastport and have no regrets. There are many different kinds of houses on the island. Some very expensive, some not so expensive and some like ours that need TLC. Our property taxes in Eastport are lower than they are here in WV for a bigger house and more land. We are not on the water and that always makes a difference in the taxes. We have also looked into the Homestead Act and once we have established residency for 2 years, our taxes will go down by (I think) 30% for Homesteading. In WV they will only go down 20% and we have to be 65 to apply for Homestead.

Also, in Maine we found out that out of state company pensions are not taxed on the State income tax forms. By pensions, I am not including personal savings, stocks and bonds, just company pensions. My husband is on his second retirement having retired from DuPont several years ago and is now working for the State of WV and accruing his second company pension.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine