Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2012, 04:36 PM

7,018 posts, read 11,310,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs72 View Post
Fair enough, but I don't think grouping western PA in with other Great Lakes states takes away from the fact that it's Northern Appalachia (which it most certainly is). Much of Ohio is Appalachian as well.
Yeah, the Ah-Hi-Ya parts of the state are definitely in the Appalachian club. As is much (most?) of PA. The rust belt overlaps much of Northern Appalachia (Western Maryland included) and the Midwest, thus the economic similarity.

Thanks for backing me up DRS. It is always nice to hear that I am not completely off point when I represent Allegany County.

You are right about Terp basketball though, it has the edge over WVU. Football is another story. I still maintain the Steelers are the majority favorite in Western Maryland, not just a plurality (A very non-scientific Times-News poll said as much, but as you mention that would include West Virginians and PAers that get the Cumberland paper.) The Ravens are gaining ground, but I think that is at the expense of the Skins, you don't see many black and gold folks changing over to Purple.

For what it is worth, I am a Ravens fan (ex-Skins fan) UMD fan, but a Pittsburgh Pirate fan (in so far as I follow baseball, which isn't much) and I like to see WVU football succeed, as my bro is an alum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2012, 04:49 PM

386 posts, read 655,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
Yeah, the Ah-Hi-Ya parts of the state are definitely in the Appalachian club. As is much (most?) of PA. The rust belt overlaps much of Northern Appalachia (Western Maryland included) and the Midwest, thus the economic similarity.

Thanks for backing me up DRS. It is always nice to hear that I am not completely off point when I represent Allegany County.

You are right about Terp basketball though, it has the edge over WVU. Football is another story. I still maintain the Steelers are the majority favorite in Western Maryland, not just a plurality (A very non-scientific Times-News poll said as much, but as you mention that would include West Virginians and PAers that get the Cumberland paper.) The Ravens are gaining ground, but I think that is at the expense of the Skins, you don't see many black and gold folks changing over to Purple.

For what it is worth, I am a Ravens fan (ex-Skins fan) UMD fan, but a Pittsburgh Pirate fan (in so far as I follow baseball, which isn't much) and I like to see WVU football succeed, as my bro is an alum.
Yeah sadly we have alot of people jump ship due to a poorly managed team and terrible records. As for WVU I have a buddy that went there and if youve ever been to a WVU UMD game its viscous especially as a UMD fan up in morgantown. Looks like yall are a whole different state then what I thought. Maybe we should add yall to WV

Old 04-19-2012, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew_s View Post
Yeah sadly we have alot of people jump ship due to a poorly managed team and terrible records. As for WVU I have a buddy that went there and if youve ever been to a WVU UMD game its viscous especially as a UMD fan up in morgantown. Looks like yall are a whole different state then what I thought. Maybe we should add yall to WV
I was at the Backyard Brawl the year Pitt upset the 'Neers and cost them a chance to play for the National Title. It is a crazy before the game. Lot's of explatives, taunts, confrontations towards anyone wearing Pitt gear going in, although I didn't see any actual violence.

After the game, near silence....it was a very weird scene. The Pitt fans had the good sense to stay quiet, and the WVU fans were too crushed to even try anything stupid, thank goodness.

Old 04-19-2012, 07:54 PM

1,359 posts, read 3,722,057 times
Quote:
It is a crazy before the game. Lot's of explatives, taunts, confrontation...
Sounds like a Terps-WVU game, which are always the craziest in CP since they're pretty much our only true (football) rival. They kinda restarted the Navy rivalry, but its been so long that UMD played them that its kind of weak. The UVA "rivalry" (there is none) is a joke. Penn State supposedly was Maryland's biggest rival for over 30 years up to the 90's but don't play each other anymore (thanks to the Penn State wanting a home-away-home series). All of the schools above have bigger rivalries than any with Maryland though (WVU-Pitt, UVA-VT, Navy-Army, PSU-OSU).

The Terps do schedule some pretty interesting series, although the recent MTSU and Temple ones have been embarrassing. The East vs West Cal series was pretty good as was the Rutgers (our admissions rival lol) one featuring future Raven Ray Rice and the only game I've seen in College Park with as many away fans as home. It should be interesting when Pitt (L) and 'Cuse (W) join the conference. The future of Maryland's football program, not to mention all the other sports, looks bleak though thanks to the idiot we have for an AD.

Apart from college sports, I'm a big Raven's fan and will root for the Orioles when they play, despite living and growing up in the DC Area (home to one of the worst collection of pro sports teams in the nation).

Of course I hate the Steelers with every bone in my body, but nothing comes close to extreme loathing and hatred I have for puke university. It was a horrible experience just driving on I-85 through Durham to W-S last week seeing all the billboards and road signs with dook on them lol.

(sorry for the off-topic post )

Old 04-19-2012, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpterp View Post
Sounds like a Terps-WVU game, which are always the craziest in CP since they're pretty much our only true (football) rival. They kinda restarted the Navy rivalry, but its been so long that UMD played them that its kind of weak. The UVA "rivalry" (there is none) is a joke. Penn State supposedly was Maryland's biggest rival for over 30 years up to the 90's but don't play each other anymore (thanks to the Penn State wanting a home-away-home series). All of the schools above have bigger rivalries than any with Maryland though (WVU-Pitt, UVA-VT, Navy-Army, PSU-OSU).

The Terps do schedule some pretty interesting series, although the recent MTSU and Temple ones have been embarrassing. The East vs West Cal series was pretty good as was the Rutgers (our admissions rival lol) one featuring future Raven Ray Rice and the only game I've seen in College Park with as many away fans as home. It should be interesting when Pitt (L) and 'Cuse (W) join the conference. The future of Maryland's football program, not to mention all the other sports, looks bleak though thanks to the idiot we have for an AD.

Apart from college sports, I'm a big Raven's fan and will root for the Orioles when they play, despite living and growing up in the DC Area (home to one of the worst collection of pro sports teams in the nation).

Of course I hate the Steelers with every bone in my body, but nothing comes close to extreme loathing and hatred I have for puke university. It was a horrible experience just driving on I-85 through Durham to W-S last week seeing all the billboards and road signs with dook on them lol.

(sorry for the off-topic post )
Hey, we are on pg. 78, maybe we can manage to get the thread locked and put us all out of our misery

I won't speak about the football program, but expect the Terps basketball team to improve over the next few years. Turgeon is a good coach, and his 2012 recruiting class was ranking #15 in the nation. If he strings a few good recruiting classes together, watch out. And don't forget the Lady Terps. ACC champs, Elite 8, they field good teams year in and year out.

Old 04-19-2012, 10:39 PM

581 posts, read 969,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonsereed View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew_s View Post
No yall dont do that. I bet there are many places in the south I could drop yall off at and for miles all yall think you were in the north.
you have me convinced, you are a true untamed rebel son of dixie
My home county's de facto motto is "God Bless Y'all Real Good."

Old 04-20-2012, 08:52 AM

10,109 posts, read 9,971,621 times
I never hear people say "y'all" in the Baltimore area.

Old 04-20-2012, 09:09 AM

389 posts, read 797,151 times
I'm a Ravens fan, an Orioles fan, and a Mountaineer fan (I'm a student at WVU). I also root for the Terps when they're not playing West Virginia.

I'm surprised at your hatred of WVU, as I've never experienced much of that from UMD myself. The last time we played Maryland at home there were several Terps in our student section and I don't think we gave them a harder time than we would anyone else. I suppose it does make sense though.

I guess our feelings toward you all aren't quite as strong as yours are toward us. That's probably because we haven't seen much real competition from the Terps in quite some time.

I am glad that we're retaining that rivalry as we move to the Big 12 though, especially considering that we'll be discontinuing our biggest rivalry with Pitt (at least in the short term).

Old 04-20-2012, 09:18 AM

389 posts, read 797,151 times
Quote:
I was at the Backyard Brawl the year Pitt upset the 'Neers and cost them a chance to play for the National Title. It is a crazy before the game. Lot's of explatives, taunts, confrontations towards anyone wearing Pitt gear going in, although I didn't see any actual violence.

After the game, near silence....it was a very weird scene. The Pitt fans had the good sense to stay quiet, and the WVU fans were too crushed to even try anything stupid, thank goodness.
That was honestly the worst sports moment of my life. As you said, one of the things I vividly remember was the absolute silence. It was unlike anything I'd ever seen. Everyone was just devastated and it was so unforeseen. My grandparents had already booked their flight to New Orleans.

I, for one, cried like a baby.

Old 04-20-2012, 07:46 PM

386 posts, read 655,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
I never hear people say "y'all" in the Baltimore area.
Well alot of us say it in my neck of the woods in howard county which is technically a Baltimore suburb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs72 View Post
I'm a Ravens fan, an Orioles fan, and a Mountaineer fan (I'm a student at WVU). I also root for the Terps when they're not playing West Virginia.

I'm surprised at your hatred of WVU, as I've never experienced much of that from UMD myself. The last time we played Maryland at home there were several Terps in our student section and I don't think we gave them a harder time than we would anyone else. I suppose it does make sense though.

I guess our feelings toward you all aren't quite as strong as yours are toward us. That's probably because we haven't seen much real competition from the Terps in quite some time.

I am glad that we're retaining that rivalry as we move to the Big 12 though, especially considering that we'll be discontinuing our biggest rivalry with Pitt (at least in the short term).
Well its not really a hatred rather a rivalry. Plus my good buddy went there and it adds to the rivalry. But I will say I have gone up to Morgantown for a couple of weekends and other then the crazy non stop drinking they were pretty hospitable. On game day one of my buddies roomates did say take this shot or Im going to kick your *** at 6am then we proceeded to make cheap hotdogs and the day only went down from there.

I will say though that I wish yall joined the ACC rather then pitt/syracuse/BC to keep it a true southern conference like it was from 1953-2005. Oh and Im one of the few O's/skins fans left.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland