Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2021, 09:41 AM

45,431 posts, read 60,623,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltimoreBruiser View Post
Has not been my experience, but it's definitely a YMMV situation. I'll keep my fingers crossed but so far I have been able to keep the yearly traditions and memories going. Headed there this weekend for a week - I'll keep an eye out for these New Marylanders and their pretentiousness!
Just read through this thread, or any about Ocean City, and you'll see it in full display.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2021, 04:51 AM

27,580 posts, read 28,687,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenvalleyfan View Post
Ocean city is not cheap. Tacky but not cheap. Add in the current crop of miscreants that flock to the boardwalk and it has also become dangerous...most that vacation in O.C. are stuck in a rut that they have repeated since their childhood. I was one of these people. I now fly to the caribbean and spend less and actually feel appreciated when spending my money.
What Caribbean vacation have you been on that is cheaper than going to Ocean City? This I’ve got to hear.

It better not turn out to be some hellish dump.

Old 08-21-2021, 11:00 AM

3,766 posts, read 4,107,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenvalleyfan View Post
Ocean city is not cheap. Tacky but not cheap. Add in the current crop of miscreants that flock to the boardwalk and it has also become dangerous...most that vacation in O.C. are stuck in a rut that they have repeated since their childhood. I was one of these people. I now fly to the caribbean and spend less and actually feel appreciated when spending my money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
What Caribbean vacation have you been on that is cheaper than going to Ocean City? This I’ve got to hear.

It better not turn out to be some hellish dump.
And while you are at it, you should tell us about the current crop of miscreants in the Caribbean. No place in the Caribbean is even near as safe as Ocean City, MD.

Old 08-24-2021, 08:12 AM

7,083 posts, read 9,576,634 times
The people in this thread that doesn't care for Ocean City must realize that if people are willing to pay $500/night for a room, obviously the people in this thread hold the minority view that Ocean City isn't appealing.

You must ask yourself, if people saw Ocean City through your eyes, would rooms be booked at $500/night? It would be a ghost town in high season.

The person who started this thread started it to find out if others shared the same view. Obviously, there will be people that share the same view. But again, that being the case, doesn't make their view reality.

The reality is, Ocean City, despite its challenges, is still the preferred beach vacation spot for thousands of people in the Mid-Atlantic area. I know people that rank Ocean City above Virginia Beach. Rehoboth is too small. The next biggest beach town is Atlantic City. Myrtle Beach is too far for a day trip.

But when I go to Ocean City, I see people having a good time. And that's all that matters. We all know there are negatives to every town. No town is going to appeal to everyone.

So I don't see the point in maximizing the negatives of Ocean City when people that go there to have fun aren't really focused on. lol

Old 08-24-2021, 08:29 AM

16,282 posts, read 10,424,652 times
I'm sitting in a room in Ocean City right now, I was smart and book this week back in January. The total cost, including all the fees and taxes, is $507 for 5 nights (weekdays). It's your generic OC motel with a pool, 2 full beds, microwave/fridge and a large table to set things. It's also 1/2 block to the beach. Even in normal times this room would rent for about $160 a night mid-week ($800 total) and we got here in less than 3 hours. I challenge anyone to find a way to take 5 nights in the Caribbean for $800 + 2/3 of a tank of gas.

Yes it is tacky, we all know this. This is not the Caribbean, my favorite place on Earth. It's not nearly as nice as the Delaware beach towns, too much traffic to enjoy my bike rides. But those towns simply do not offer a room for $100 a night. We can also walk to most things we need unlike Bethany.

Old 08-24-2021, 08:33 AM

20,115 posts, read 9,032,117 times
nothing wrong with OC for fun, the beach, boardwalk... It's more honky tonk than other nearby beach towns. Just mind your business while there. It's a motel/hotel town, Rehoboth and Bethany are more upscale with people renting homes.

Old 08-27-2021, 06:29 AM

16,282 posts, read 10,424,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
nothing wrong with OC for fun, the beach, boardwalk... It's more honky tonk than other nearby beach towns. Just mind your business while there. It's a motel/hotel town, Rehoboth and Bethany are more upscale with people renting homes.
Yeah we much prefer Rehobeth but we visit as a couple for a long weekend and a house is just not practical. It would be great if we could find a $160 room there but it's just not possible.

Old 08-27-2021, 11:43 AM

20,115 posts, read 9,032,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Yeah we much prefer Rehobeth but we visit as a couple for a long weekend and a house is just not practical. It would be great if we could find a $160 room there but it's just not possible.
agreed, renting houses Saturday to Saturday is easier and cheaper for the landlords at the beach. Later in the fall it's doable.

Old 08-28-2021, 12:42 PM

27,580 posts, read 28,687,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
I'm sitting in a room in Ocean City right now, I was smart and book this week back in January. The total cost, including all the fees and taxes, is $507 for 5 nights (weekdays). It's your generic OC motel with a pool, 2 full beds, microwave/fridge and a large table to set things. It's also 1/2 block to the beach. Even in normal times this room would rent for about $160 a night mid-week ($800 total) and we got here in less than 3 hours. I challenge anyone to find a way to take 5 nights in the Caribbean for $800 + 2/3 of a tank of gas.

Yes it is tacky, we all know this. This is not the Caribbean, my favorite place on Earth. It's not nearly as nice as the Delaware beach towns, too much traffic to enjoy my bike rides. But those towns simply do not offer a room for $100 a night. We can also walk to most things we need unlike Bethany.
I'd say you got a good rate. I usually find that the nicest places to stay in Ocean City are north of the boardwalk.

Calm, peaceful and less crowded. Almost dreamlike. But I don't want to let to many people in on this secret, for obvious reasons.

Old 09-05-2021, 09:35 AM

9,727 posts, read 14,271,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I'd say you got a good rate. I usually find that the nicest places to stay in Ocean City are north of the boardwalk.

Calm, peaceful and less crowded. Almost dreamlike. But I don't want to let to many people in on this secret, for obvious reasons.
We know. Ocean City, north of the boardwalk is our favorite place, too. We gave up on Rehoboth and Lewes. We still enjoy Dewey Beach, the Rusty Rudder and fun, but we don't stay overnight there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland