Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2021, 05:18 PM

1,999 posts, read 862,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
What Caribbean vacation have you been on that is cheaper than going to Ocean City? This I’ve got to hear.

It better not turn out to be some hellish dump.
I guess it depends on what you consider a vacation. I like couples tower isle in Jamaica. I spend 3500 for two people for 8 days with air. All meals drinks included. I never leave the resort and get catered to. Can't find that in OC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2021, 05:58 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,733,519 times
I like it. I want to let loose and have fun. Why wouldn't I like OC. it's not relaxing, it's for affordable fun close to home. It's really underrated by the locals here. I love OC MD; it's simple fun. Too many Americans are so desirous of 'ultra-premium VIP exclusive x y or z" now. It's no wonder they're so much anomie and lack of cohesion. Everyones to busy trying to one-up each other with vacation and anything else in life. Always trying to one-up, or find a way to skip the lines (common fol)

Old 10-17-2021, 10:27 PM

6,723 posts, read 6,718,975 times
I visited OC and the nearly Delaware shore 4 or 5 times when I lived in DC and couldn't justify driving 4 hours in traffic to be in a tacky, charmless area like that. Reverted to flying to the Cape or South Carolina.

OC seems even worse now that I live in California.

Old 10-18-2021, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
I like it. I want to let loose and have fun. Why wouldn't I like OC. it's not relaxing, it's for affordable fun close to home. It's really underrated by the locals here. I love OC MD; it's simple fun. Too many Americans are so desirous of 'ultra-premium VIP exclusive x y or z" now. It's no wonder they're so much anomie and lack of cohesion. Everyones to busy trying to one-up each other with vacation and anything else in life. Always trying to one-up, or find a way to skip the lines (common fol)
No, you are wrong. Some , like me , want a real adult vacation. I don't want screaming kids, crowded beaches, strict rules and dumps that masquerade as hotels that I have to pay a premium to stay in. There is no trying to "one up" anyone. That's a ridiculous statement. You and others are trying to justify your decision and inability to look outside the box. Most that vacation in OC haven't traveled to the Caribbean. It's affordable if you do your homework ,and far superior to anything OC can offer. If you have not seen clear blue water you are missing out on a beautiful experience.

Old 10-18-2021, 06:59 AM

27,555 posts, read 28,641,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenvalleyfan View Post
I guess it depends on what you consider a vacation. I like couples tower isle in Jamaica. I spend 3500 for two people for 8 days with air. All meals drinks included. I never leave the resort and get catered to. Can't find that in OC.
It sounds nice, but I don't spend anywhere near that much money when I go to Ocean City. Plus, I have kids.

I went to Puerto Rico with my wife many years ago and that was nice. But again, it was a lot more expensive than going to Ocean City.

Old 10-18-2021, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
It sounds nice, but I don't spend anywhere near that much money when I go to Ocean City. Plus, I have kids.

I went to Puerto Rico with my wife many years ago and that was nice. But again, it was a lot more expensive than going to Ocean City.
Please, tell me how you rent a place for a week that is large enough for a family, eat, walk the boardwalk, pay for entertainment for the kids such as rides, games etc. And as you say don't spend near that kind of money?($3500) Are you comparing apples to apples?

Old 10-18-2021, 11:13 PM

3,702 posts, read 4,846,819 times
Everybody's different. I have visited much of the Caribbean, Central and South America and the Bahamas.

Many of those places are ****holes that one can easily make a wrong turn into a bad area any time during the day or night. Yes, there are many beautiful areas as well. I can't deny the turquois waters of the Caribbean, Or the clear green waters of the Bahamas and the Keys. Add large hills and mountains which are on some islands and that can add another touch.

But one can't deny an Eastern Shore sunset as well.

This is home to me and though I am not originally from here I have adopted it. For me, it has good restaurants and nightlife. It is safe. It is way up on the list as a fishing destination for marlins and tunas. And it has the tourism to keep my business flourishing.

It does not have an "all inclusive" resort. But then again, people who go to those kind of places are typically going to hop on a plane. OC is typically for those within a 4 hour drive and it has something for everyone in the family.

Is it tacky? Hell yea! But name a resort town that isn't! They all have their amusement parks, water parks, miniature gulf with tacky dinosaurs, tourist cruises and tacky restaurants selling overpriced entrees to tourists. But they still have better restaurants from fusion fufu to local seafood.

And ,though not part of OC, Assateque is right across the inlet and it is a beautiful uninhabited barrier island that has wild horses.

Old 10-19-2021, 05:53 AM

Thank God we all have choices. As they say, one person's trash is another's treasure. I was born and raised in Baltimore and have fond memories of ocean city and Baltimore as a child. Sadly, things change and not for the better. I've out grown OC. Wouldn't take a free week in that place. I hate everything that it is. But, that's me

Old 10-19-2021, 06:14 AM

3,406 posts, read 1,902,377 times
I read this article with interest, and agree with most of everything! I also want to remind folks that Western Maryland, specifically Garrett County and the Wisp Resort/Deep Creek Lake area, offers a very relaxing change of pace, even in the summer! It's a four-season resort area in the mountains, with lots of things to do, and is less 4 hours from Baltimore/DC! EVERY year, the Fall foliage is gorgeous...and ski season is coming up mid-December. Last year the skiing was GREAT! My family alternates each year between the beach and the mountains. Everyone's happy!

Old 10-19-2021, 06:40 AM

2,029 posts, read 2,359,044 times
I had taken my family to OC a couple of years back when I had to be in DC. ( We are now from Chicago ). We wanted to stay in OC, but it was all booked up, and frankly, it was alot tackier than advertised. I had to stay all the way out in Salsibury, MD which I found to be not too great of a place, either. Alot of traffic as well. It all left a bad taste in my mouth for Maryland in general, sadly. I did like Delaware's beaches up the coast, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland