Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2015, 04:44 PM

1,833 posts, read 2,352,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tezcatlipoca View Post
Mid-Atlantic means something different to different people.
Growing up in Southern MD it always meant VA and MD.
Uh New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Deleware?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2015, 09:57 PM

581 posts, read 969,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deluusions View Post
Uh New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Deleware?
I'm not arguing that MD/VA are the Mid-Atlantic, but rather that multiple definitions exist. Before going off to college I had never considered that Mid-Atlantic meant anything other than "MD, VA, DE", because that is by far the dominant, if not only definition I've heard in face-to-face conversation.

From Wikipedia:
Quote:
There are differing interpretations as to the composition of the Mid-Atlantic. Sometimes, the nucleus is considered to consist of Maryland, Delaware, and Virginia, with additional states possibly included.[6] Other sources consider New Jersey, New York, and Pennsylvania to be the core Mid-Atlantic states, with others sometimes included
Apparently i'm not the only one.

Old 02-23-2015, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tezcatlipoca View Post
I'm not arguing that MD/VA are the Mid-Atlantic, but rather that multiple definitions exist. Before going off to college I had never considered that Mid-Atlantic meant anything other than "MD, VA, DE", because that is by far the dominant, if not only definition I've heard in face-to-face conversation.

From Wikipedia:

Apparently i'm not the only one.
Ok I see what you're saying. I agree

Although the state North Carolina has never been referred to as the Mid-atlantic. That's like saying Massachusetts is the Mid-atlantic.

Old 02-23-2015, 09:02 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,693,648 times
Quote:
Ok I see what you're saying. I agree

Although the state North Carolina has never been referred to as the Mid-atlantic. That's like saying Massachusetts is the Mid-atlantic.
Wrong. When I was in school, we were taught that the MidAtlantic was NJ, PA, DE, MD, & VA, but that NY was the northern transition & therefore both MidAtlantic & New England & NC is the southern transition & therefore both MidAtlantic & Southern. drive around NC & you see plenty of stores that say Southern _______. You also see nearly as many signs saying MidAtlantic __________. Some commercials state "Here in the South" while others say "Here in the MidAtlantic".

Old 02-23-2015, 09:17 AM

3,703 posts, read 4,852,685 times
I've never seen NY, PA, north Jersey or NC considered mid atlantic until getting on CD. The MD/PA border carried east to the Atlantic down to the VA/NC border to me is solid mid-Atlantic. Look at a map as well. that area is right in the middle. Once you get to NY the coast starts going as much easterly as up so definitely NE. The Mid-Atlantic is a blend from pure south to pure north and it includes MD, DE, VA and south Jersey.

I just got back from a trip to Newark and Patterson area in NJ and can assure you that IMO there is nothing there that reminds me of MD From the smoke billowing industrial area around Wilmington to crossing the DE and getting a Jersey welcome from all the smoke blasting refineries there and going up the turnpike to the heavy urban area in North Jersey has no resemblance to anything I have ever seen. Baltimore can't even compare. I definitely entered the Northeast when i crossed that bridge.

I also have to throw in the general rudeness of some of the ones I encountered, especially the A-hole airport nazis at Newark. And that accent. The one cop got mad at me because I kept asking him to repeat himself. I could not understand him at all and it wasn't a foreign accent - it was pure north jersey!

Now the times I've spent in South Jersey near the beach towns I see that area as general suburbia USA and I can see similarities to suburban MD around DC. That's why, IMO that part of NJ is Mid-Atlantic. The people are also much nicer there that I have seen.

I grew up in PG county in the 70's/80's and the mid Atlantic was considered DE, MD and VA.

Personally, I look at the Mid-Atlantic as a totally separate region, unlike New England which is part of the North/northeast the Mid Atlantic to me blends from south to northeast.

Likewise, though I gravitate to and prefer the south, relate to the south as well, I don't consider MD part of the south. But I can understand some feeling that it is as it has a lot of similarities but isn't pure in the sense of the true south IMO. Likewise it isn't pure in the sense of the true northeast either. I see more similarities to VA and eastern NC but I can see others seeing more similarities to PA and NJ (though not north Jersey from what I've seen). But my take may be more from the Eastern Shore as well as my past life near Annapolis and spending a lot of time in southern MD. Someone who doesn't leave PG and Mont counties ever except for a once a year vacation to Ocean City where they sleep or are buzzed the whole drive down until they actually enter OC will have a different perspective.

That is all my take on this issue.

Old 02-23-2015, 11:43 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,104,814 times
Quote:
Still though the link you posted included the red covering a very small portion of NC. The red didn't cover the whole state. What the USGS is saying is that those certain areas are midatlantic. They didn't say the whole state of NC,
Are you seeing the same map that I am? The map I see has almost the whole northern to eastern portion in a triangle type shape of almost half of the state.

I also did not say anything about the portions of NC, whether whole or in part, in my writing. I QUOTED the Wikipedia page which QUOTED the author and he didn't even say the whole state of NC. He said

Quote:
parts of New Jersey, New York, and North Carolina that drain into the Delaware and Chesapeake Bays and the Albemarle and Pamlico Sounds.

Old 02-23-2015, 05:13 PM

386 posts, read 655,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinfshr View Post
I've never seen NY, PA, north Jersey or NC considered mid atlantic until getting on CD. The MD/PA border carried east to the Atlantic down to the VA/NC border to me is solid mid-Atlantic. Look at a map as well. that area is right in the middle. Once you get to NY the coast starts going as much easterly as up so definitely NE. The Mid-Atlantic is a blend from pure south to pure north and it includes MD, DE, VA and south Jersey.

I just got back from a trip to Newark and Patterson area in NJ and can assure you that IMO there is nothing there that reminds me of MD From the smoke billowing industrial area around Wilmington to crossing the DE and getting a Jersey welcome from all the smoke blasting refineries there and going up the turnpike to the heavy urban area in North Jersey has no resemblance to anything I have ever seen. Baltimore can't even compare. I definitely entered the Northeast when i crossed that bridge.

I also have to throw in the general rudeness of some of the ones I encountered, especially the A-hole airport nazis at Newark. And that accent. The one cop got mad at me because I kept asking him to repeat himself. I could not understand him at all and it wasn't a foreign accent - it was pure north jersey!

Now the times I've spent in South Jersey near the beach towns I see that area as general suburbia USA and I can see similarities to suburban MD around DC. That's why, IMO that part of NJ is Mid-Atlantic. The people are also much nicer there that I have seen.

I grew up in PG county in the 70's/80's and the mid Atlantic was considered DE, MD and VA.

Personally, I look at the Mid-Atlantic as a totally separate region, unlike New England which is part of the North/northeast the Mid Atlantic to me blends from south to northeast.

Likewise, though I gravitate to and prefer the south, relate to the south as well, I don't consider MD part of the south. But I can understand some feeling that it is as it has a lot of similarities but isn't pure in the sense of the true south IMO. Likewise it isn't pure in the sense of the true northeast either. I see more similarities to VA and eastern NC but I can see others seeing more similarities to PA and NJ (though not north Jersey from what I've seen). But my take may be more from the Eastern Shore as well as my past life near Annapolis and spending a lot of time in southern MD. Someone who doesn't leave PG and Mont counties ever except for a once a year vacation to Ocean City where they sleep or are buzzed the whole drive down until they actually enter OC will have a different perspective.

That is all my take on this issue.
Agreed. IMHO true mid atlantic is MD VA and most of DE. PA and southern NJ as well as NC are transition areas where yoully find atrong similarities, but not 100%. I just HATE when people put PA, North NJ and ESPECIALLY NY into the kid atlantic region and hence why I rarely if ever use the term. PA is very different and IMHO is Midwestern like west of Philly and the rest is clearly northeastern.

But since so many includong wikipedia as well as so many people distort and pervert thw definition of mid atlantic I never use the term.

Old 02-23-2015, 06:00 PM

4,792 posts, read 6,059,948 times
Quote:
North Carolina is not the Mid-Atlantic. The map you even provided doesn't even cover the whole state of NC but a small portion of it. North Carolina lacks Mid-Atlatic culture, demographics and dialect. According to 90% of sources the southern most Mid-Atlantic state is Virginia. That's even a stretch, North Carolina is not.

Mid-Atlantic states - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You want to be apart of the Mid-Atlantic but you're not and never will be. Sorry.

Mid-Atlantic travel guide - Wikitravel
You want to go by dialect, then only SE Pennsylvania, South Jersey, Delaware, and Northeast Maryland are in the Mid-Atlantic (sub-region of Midland) linguistic area. NY wouldn't make it, most of PA wouldn't make it, and you would only have small regions of states left. The only true Mid-Atlantic dialect exists in a very small region of the country. No one in NYC speaks with it the same way no one in NC speaks with it.

Linguistically, NY and NC can't be Mid-Atlantic.

Old 02-23-2015, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
You want to go by dialect, then only SE Pennsylvania, South Jersey, Delaware, and Northeast Maryland are in the Mid-Atlantic (sub-region of Midland) linguistic area. NY wouldn't make it, most of PA wouldn't make it, and you would only have small regions of states left. The only true Mid-Atlantic dialect exists in a very small region of the country. No one in NYC speaks with it the same way no one in NC speaks with it.

Linguistically, NY and NC can't be Mid-Atlantic.
North Carolina is not the Mid-Atlantic. Never said it was. Also when I said dialect all the Mid-Atlantic states have a similar form of dialect in ATLEAST on part of there state.

Old 02-23-2015, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
Are you seeing the same map that I am? The map I see has almost the whole northern to eastern portion in a triangle type shape of almost half of the state.

I also did not say anything about the portions of NC, whether whole or in part, in my writing. I QUOTED the Wikipedia page which QUOTED the author and he didn't even say the whole state of NC. He said
Yes, I'm looking at the same map. North Carolina is not the Mid-Atlantic. It's not common for it to be, much of North Carolina is still very southern and Dixie. Doesn't matter got many transplants it gets
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland