Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2016, 01:18 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,864,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ialmostforgot View Post
"Also outside of DC and Baltimore the state is mostly of German ancestry much like Pennsylvania"

If by "German" you mean "Black" and "English", sure. North of DC and Baltimore are the more German areas. Remember that Germans also formed a part of Southerners' ancestry. Montgomery country is a German-ancestry place (not sure if it always was--now there are mostly transplants in the area) and in the '70s it had a southern accent.
Here's evidence you can't refute. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German...-by-County.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2016, 02:13 PM

4,792 posts, read 6,069,271 times
I posted this in another thread, but I feel it bears repeating here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
But let's not forget that one of the reasons Maryland isn't considered Southern is simply because many people don't know very much about it. Most people who know nothing of Maryland think it's much further North than it really is, that it's in New England, that it's short drive from Baltimore to Boston, that it's incredibly cold and snowy, and that people there speak with New York/Boston accents. I'm not making this up, many people who have never been think Maryland is part of greater New York and when you mention to them that it was once part of the South, they act all surprised and say "MARYLAND???" It's almost as if they think Maryland is just another name for Massachusetts. I mean, most people in the US know what the Mason-Dixon line is. Whether you consider it to be a division of North vs. South is irrelevant. Because most people who aren't from the East Coast don't know that the Mason-Dixon divides Pennsylvania and Maryland (the North-South border). Most people don't know where the hell the line is, or what it divides. Those that do know, apparently think it's too far North (even though it's technically a bit further South than the middle of the country). A lot of not-to-scale US Maps are to blame for this. These same maps extend Maine way too far North, past the 49th parallel, which explains why people think Maryland is more North than it really is.

I agree that Maryland is a state that has much fewer Southern characteristics than states that are in the unarguably Southern area, but at the same time, it does have a surprising amount of Southern characteristics that people who know nothing about the state would be very surprised to learn about. People who don't know anything about Maryland are surprised to hear that fried chicken is popular there, that pit beef is a thing, that sweet tea is enjoyed even in Baltimore, that it's very Black, that its rural counties and native Whites therein are very Republican, and that the Baltimore accent sounds the way it does. Then again these are the same people who think that Philadelphia is just another New York suburb, so there ya go. I even saw a poster here say that "fuhgeddaboutit" was a common phrase in Maryland.

Old 03-05-2016, 02:54 PM

1,112 posts, read 1,058,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by U146 View Post
Really, I have no knowledge at all? I've been all over the Eastern United States and I've been to MAryland several times. It was never Southern any of those times. You think you've won haven't you? You seem to think only a local knows the truth. I've been there enough times to draw my own conclusions and FYI you are the minority of people living there that considers it Southern.
No, you just know less than others with more experience. And that direct message you sent me? Please calm down!

Yes, most people in Rockville probably think the moved to a northern state. Who cares! If anything, geography determines the region of a state (this is why Florida can never be a northern state).

Last edited by ialmostforgot; 03-05-2016 at 03:57 PM..

Old 03-05-2016, 02:57 PM

Quote:
I wasn't trying to "refute" your statement. Check again and look at county-by county percentages, especially in the populous suburban counties.

Old 03-05-2016, 03:00 PM

Quote:
After experiencing Louisville, KY, I have come to this conclusion:

Louisville is the Baltimore of the Midwest. Because it is hotly debated as whether it is Northern or Southern, it has a Southerny/not so Southern dialect, it has the exact same climate, it has a lot of the same White ethnic populations (Italians, Jews), and many people there get offended if you call them Southern. Interestingly enough, while it has a higher population than Baltimore, it is rarely debated much on these forums, and that's probably because on a national scale, it gets very little recognition.
Actually, Baltimore is weather and is in or near the range of more southern plants. Of course, this should be expected of Louisville because of its elevation and distance from the shore.

Edit: It's actually less than a degree warmer on average, so forget that.

Old 03-05-2016, 03:10 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,864,163 times
Quote:
No, you just know less than others with more experience. And that direct message you sent me? Please calm down!
Fine let's call a truce and end this.

Old 03-05-2016, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Fine let's call a truce and end this.
A truce? This was never a war. You simply said all of these things about Maryland but did knew not much about the state. I, as someone who has lived here for the vast majority of his life, told you what actually was happening (such as "Anne Arundel county is not that far north along the bay" or "Transplants are more likely to think that MD is northern (there are people from Harford country who get annoyed when someone calls them "Northern" even though they are from northern MD))" and you still ignored my links basing some of your claims off of maps and others of nothing. I'm glad you are willing to end this discussion and invest less energy in this debate.

Old 03-05-2016, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Actually, Baltimore is weather and is in or near the range of more southern plants. Of course, this should be expected of Louisville because of its elevation and distance from the shore.

Edit: It's actually less than a degree warmer on average, so forget that.
I forgot to add that Baltimore is on average one degree cooler than San Francisco if we were to use annual temps. Again, not that this makes Maryland Southern, but it makes it a lot warmer than people think.

Old 03-05-2016, 09:36 PM

Quote:
I forgot to add that Baltimore is on average one degree cooler than San Francisco if we were to use annual temps. Again, not that this makes Maryland Southern, but it makes it a lot warmer than people think.
But SF is stuck in an eternal spring. Most wouldn't know that Maryland's temperatures are similar to Tennessee's.

Old 03-06-2016, 11:22 AM

Quote:
But SF is stuck in an eternal spring. Most wouldn't know that Maryland's temperatures are similar to Tennessee's.
True. Most people think it's a cold, Arctic wasteland. What's funny is that how they deal with snow is more characteristic of the South than the North.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland