Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2019, 11:52 AM

15,906 posts, read 21,552,234 times

Advertisements

I'm 31 and rent in Marlborough. It's not ideal for my social life, but it's much more affordable than many of the other areas listed. It's about an hour commute to work in Waltham, but can be cut down to 35 minutes later at night (and I'd guess would be roughly the same on a reverse commute). Waltham is a good option for youngish singles, and is well-located if you jump ship to work in Boston down the road.

I lived in Medford close to the Somerville line before I moved and spent a lot of time shuttling back and forth. Even with limited traffic, it was at least an hour between the two. I wouldn't want to do that for my commute.

I do most of my socializing in Hudson, which has really invested in updating their downtown. If you're into craft beer, Medusa is one of the best spots in the state and way less packed on an average night than equivalent or lesser places closer to the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2019, 11:55 AM

137 posts, read 151,931 times
Newton is just a bad commute to Marlborough when Worcester is cheaper to live in and closer. I vote for Worcester, just make sure you pick a safe area in the city. Restaurants and lots of single people there, cheaper houses/rent than Newton.
If you had a family I would not vote for Worcester but for a single person, have fun and you do not have to think about schools, etc.

Old 05-01-2019, 11:58 AM

622 posts, read 569,237 times
Framingham
Hudson
Marlborough
Worcester

Old 05-01-2019, 01:25 PM

4,644 posts, read 4,964,068 times
If you can find something near the Plantation 290 exit in Worcester, it's about 15 minutes to the end of 290 in Marlborough.

Not the best night life, especially that part of Worcester - near a housing project next to the best elementary school in town, but also where a lot of med students live. Downtown Worcester, canal district, and Shrewsbury street should keep you entertained during the week, but if your used to NYC and expecting the same, head there for the weekends! You'll save quite a bit staying in Worcester though.

Old 05-01-2019, 07:40 PM

3,808 posts, read 3,173,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio516 View Post
If you can find something near the Plantation 290 exit in Worcester, it's about 15 minutes to the end of 290 in Marlborough.

Not the best night life, especially that part of Worcester - near a housing project next to the best elementary school in town, but also where a lot of med students live. Downtown Worcester, canal district, and Shrewsbury street should keep you entertained during the week, but if your used to NYC and expecting the same, head there for the weekends! You'll save quite a bit staying in Worcester though.
Most of my NYC peers seem disappointed in Boston, so if OP is going to be disappointed it might as well be in affordable Worcester, or Hudson, or Shrewsbury (though Shrews has you paying for school district).

Old 05-06-2019, 01:31 PM

2 posts, read 1,531 times
Thank you all for the updated information and ideas, I will look at the areas mentioned. I was not expecting the same as NY, but agree its better to have more cash flow for other things by living in more affordable areas instead. As I started to look around I did not realize how expensive housing was getting outside of the Boston. I have only visited the city and downtown areas and noticed how expensive hotels are for it's city size. Guess I have to get back into snowboarding for the winters and see what coastal activities for the summer time.

Old 05-08-2019, 06:31 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,698,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I'm 31 and rent in Marlborough. It's not ideal for my social life, but it's much more affordable than many of the other areas listed. It's about an hour commute to work in Waltham, but can be cut down to 35 minutes later at night (and I'd guess would be roughly the same on a reverse commute). Waltham is a good option for youngish singles, and is well-located if you jump ship to work in Boston down the road.
Now the larger question, what's good for oldish singles. I'm still working on that one.

Old 05-08-2019, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by panchilly View Post
Framingham
Hudson
Marlborough
Worcester

Framingham - No, No
Hudson - Meh, mostly young families
Marlborough - No, No, No
Worcester - lesser of the evils

Old 05-08-2019, 06:40 PM

23,933 posts, read 19,135,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
Worcester - lesser of the evils
Still kind of bleh though, why not just live near work and save the fun for the weekends?

Old 05-09-2019, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Still kind of bleh though, why not just live near work and save the fun for the weekends?
It is ideal to live close to an area one might want to socialize in. I know from experience, there was always a density factor when I was doing OLD. When I lived in Acton, men who lived inside 128 were reluctant to pursue once they found out I lived outside the belt, whether it was all the way downtown or Lexington, only 8 miles away. However, I would get hit on by those 100 miles into Central Mass or New Hampshire.

I also dated someone in NYC long distance. It was difficult to keep that going despite both of our efforts.

If the OP lives in Marlborough, I'm afraid going to NYC or Providence or Boston on weekends won't be enough, and they may end up feeling rather isolated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts