Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2018, 04:58 PM

9,093 posts, read 6,314,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Yard Goats can't move within 50 miles of Fenway Park unless they are affiliated with the Red Sox which they are not.
Well that little detail rules out my idea for RI. It just seemed to me that Providence provides a better long term outlook for business than Hartford.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2018, 05:59 PM

8,498 posts, read 4,559,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
I don't know why you keep perpetuating this myth that no one is looking towards Worcester for entertainment. This might have been the case 10-15 year ago, but not anymore and it shows in the continued public/private investments. I think your perception of Worcster is dated.

I know Worcester quite well as I have many connections to the city and its namesake county (lived there, went to school there/worked there).

I do not doubt that people in the surrounding towns such as Shrewsbury out to the 495 belt may go into Worcester more now than a decade ago. The Woosox will however have to draw a large number of fans from the towns east of 495 as the Worcester metro is probably not large enough to solely support the team. I contend that once you get east of towns such as Marlboro and Westborough, people are much less likely inclined to go out to Worcester as they still continue to gravitate in the other direction toward Boston. That will have to change for the team to really succeed.

It will be interesting to see how the team markets itself. In the Providence metro, it had the luxury of cheap tv ads and got free air time on all four local tv new stations. It also had a newspaper situation where it was regularly covered in its hometown by the daily Pawtucket Times as well as the dailies in adjoining Providence (Journal) and Attleboro (Sun-Chronicle). Worcester has the Telegram but there are no other dailies close by. The city has none of its own tv stations which the two AHL teams that have previously departed felt was a detriment. Boston tv station news sportscasts will not have nightly game scores and highlights as was the case in Providence. Ads on the Boston airwaves will also be far more costly than they were in Providence probably resulting in less airings. The model for the team on many levels is going to have to change as it attempts to build a new fan base.

I personally don't think the team really wanted to move. If RI had offered the same extremely generous public financial support for a stadium that Worcester did, it would have stayed. RI however got burned by Curt Schilling and 38 Studios making politicians skittish about public funding and the state can't afford to throw the same amount money out to private concerns that MA and its cities apparently can. Worcester offered a stadium deal with far less investment from ownership that was just too much to refuse.

Old 08-19-2018, 06:04 PM

3,808 posts, read 3,138,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
I live much closer to Pawtucket, RI and I would rather go out to dinner in Worcester. I think the WooSox will be able to draw from MetroWest.
and I did the inverse a decade ago, choosing the 40 minute drive to Providence verse the 10 minute drive from Shrewsbury. However, these days with Worcester's revitalized restaurant scene and the Palladium's new ownership pulling more diverse bands, my trips to Prov are dwindling. I'll still occasionally hit venues like The Met or RISD gallery shows, but gone are the days of me dining on Fed Hill. Too many good Worcster options.

Old 08-19-2018, 06:16 PM

3,808 posts, read 3,138,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
It will be interesting to see how the team markets itself. In the Providence metro, it had the luxury of cheap tv ads and got free air time on all four local tv new stations. It also had a newspaper situation where it was regularly covered in its hometown by the daily Pawtucket Times as well as the dailies in adjoining Providence (Journal) and Attleboro (Sun-Chronicle). Worcester has the Telegram but there are no other dailies close by. The city has none of its own tv stations which the two AHL teams that have previously departed felt was a detriment. Boston tv station news sportscasts will not have nightly game scores and highlights as was the case in Providence. Ads on the Boston airwaves will also be far more costly than they were in Providence probably resulting in less airings. The model for the team on many levels is going to have to change as it attempts to build a new fan base.
I'd venture to say adverts in John Henry's Boston Globe might have larger audience capture than Attleboro's Sun-Chronicle.

Old 08-19-2018, 06:23 PM

8,498 posts, read 4,559,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
I'd venture to say adverts in John Henry's Boston Globe might have larger audience capture than Attleboro's Sun-Chronicle.

Ads in the Globe would also be much more expensive.

At any rate, I don't think the Boston Globe will give the team free daily game coverage like the three papers in and around Pawtucket (referenced above) did. The Telegram will likely be the only paper doing so.

Old 08-20-2018, 07:08 AM

23,561 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
Only the state contribution of 35M is going toward infrastructure. The City of Worcester is contributing upwards of some 70M directly toward the stadium construction which it hopes to eventually recoup via other revenues derived from the venture. Sports franchise owners in the state are going to in the future expect similar public funding components.
Right it sets a very bad precedence. Up until this point, even major league franchises didn't get taxpayer funded stadiums. Where does it stop? We really are screwed.

Old 08-20-2018, 07:39 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,452,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Right it sets a very bad precedence. Up until this point, even major league franchises didn't get taxpayer funded stadiums. Where does it stop? We really are screwed.
I find it harder and harder to support pro sports of any kind. Even teams I loved growing up.

Old 08-20-2018, 08:13 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,957,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
I find it harder and harder to support pro sports of any kind. Even teams I loved growing up.

Me too. I really only have much interest in my college (B10) football team anymore.

Old 08-20-2018, 08:59 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,254,477 times
I still think the PawSox would take a Providence ballpark deal even if it's a lot less rich than the Worcester deal.

Old 08-20-2018, 09:07 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,957,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I still think the PawSox would take a Providence ballpark deal even if it's a lot less rich than the Worcester deal.

Well, they didn't, so I guess you were off on that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts