Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2020, 06:38 AM

636 posts, read 705,368 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
Before POT was legal, there was no legal recourse for having your POT stolen. Now that it’s legal there is some. Not entirely surprised that reported incidents would go up from almost nothing.

And you read about stuff getting stolen all the time. Especially if it happens in Easton. I’m unaware of any legal POT stores serving as a front for home invasion gangs. Given the reluctance of the CCC to license anyone, is imagine the state would quickly look into any such connections.
January 22, 2020 Ledger Independent
"Since legalization in Colorado, Sheriff Justin Smith said he has seen a rise in home invasions in his county that are tied to theft of marijuana or its profits"
https://bit.ly/2OltTuT
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2020, 07:00 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wror View Post
January 22, 2020 Ledger Independent
"Since legalization in Colorado, Sheriff Justin Smith said he has seen a rise in home invasions in his county that are tied to theft of marijuana or its profits"
https://bit.ly/2OltTuT

Which exactly supported his point. People are reporting it more. There isn't evidence that it is happening more.

Also, where is the data? People with a clue not to believe what police say. Heck, when I was in Wisconsin each year there would be articles in the driftless area counties about a day a drug task force spent cutting and burning "illegal marijuana cultivation" and give some crazy street value. Yeah, they were cutting and burning ditch weed which was a ubiquitous weed left from hemp farming days, and getting tons of Federal reimbursement money for the work. It was a scam.

Old 01-28-2020, 08:23 AM

17,664 posts, read 9,155,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannon35 View Post
So by your logic, anyone walking out of BestBuy with a laptop is likely to be robbed at gunpoint. Because a laptop is way more valuable than anything from a cannabis retailer.
No it's not. Try selling a stolen laptop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
Before POT was legal, there was no legal recourse for having your POT stolen. Now that it’s legal there is some. Not entirely surprised that reported incidents would go up from almost nothing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Which exactly supported his point. People are reporting it more.
I don't think so. People aren't reporting it more now that it's legal. Nothing has changed in that regard; people aren't reporting it at all. When you do hear about home invasions, it's nearly always either because a neighbor witnessed it or something so violent happened that there's no other option. And with the latter, the weed aspect is discovered later.

Legal or not, people are not contacting the police to let them know that weed was stolen.

Old 01-28-2020, 08:32 AM

1,131 posts, read 1,260,374 times
WROR, I thought you left Mass. POT shouldn't be your issue anymore.

Old 01-28-2020, 08:39 AM

17,664 posts, read 9,155,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
I don’t really partake often, then or now, but I have had the pleasure of watching Boston PD leverage petty possession to shakedown black teens in JP ... meanwhile the same PD would tell my white college roommates to “keep it indoors”. Or one could just review police logs pre-decriminalization and notice nearly all the arrests for petty possession had Latino surnames in a town which was 94% white. I call that b_____t.
We've discussed this in the past. The key word here is indoors.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/52801548-post30.html

Old 01-28-2020, 09:11 AM

23,554 posts, read 18,661,418 times
Quote:
I don’t really partake often, then or now, but I have had the pleasure of watching Boston PD leverage petty possession to shakedown black teens in JP ... meanwhile the same PD would tell my white college roommates to “keep it indoors”. Or one could just review police logs pre-decriminalization and notice nearly all the arrests for petty possession had Latino surnames in a town which was 94% white. I call that b_____t.

More importantly, I support legalization as none of the POs I know considered petty amounts of marijuana a “concern worth pursuing” (paperwork, meh) so I fully support removing their ability to care when they’re seeking leverage.
So you knew these black teens they were "shaking down"? What prompted their response? What were they "shaking them down" for?

Old 01-28-2020, 09:28 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,135,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
So you knew these black teens they were "shaking down"? What prompted their response? What were they "shaking them down" for?
They were shaking them down for being black - simple as that.

White college kids smoking joint in park: confiscated and stern reminder to "keep it behind closed doors".
Black kids smoking joint in park: confiscated, full search, threat to or actual arrest.

It's the assumption that minority users are inherent bad actors and white middle-class users are simply having mental lapses of judgement - kids beings kids. It's blatant bias and it's overt to anyone, regardless of background or race, who's coexisted in a diverse neighborhood.

Old 01-28-2020, 09:33 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
Quote:
White college kids smoking joint in park: confiscated and stern reminder to "keep it behind closed doors".
Black kids smoking joint in park: confiscated, full search, threat to or actual arrest.

No doubt. It's how anti loitering laws were used. Group of 5-6 POC youths hanging out, suspected and harassed, patted down. 5-6 guys in business suits standing around chatting, left alone.

Totally anti-constitutional.

Old 01-28-2020, 09:37 AM

23,554 posts, read 18,661,418 times
Quote:
They were shaking them down for being black - simple as that.

It's the assumption that minority users are inherent bad actors and white middle-class users are simply having mental lapses of judgement - kids beings kids. It's blatant bias and it's overt to anyone, regardless of background or race, who's coexisted in a diverse neighborhood.
White college kids smoking weed in a public park in JP, right amongst POC doing the same thing? Which park was this???

Old 01-28-2020, 10:26 AM

21,626 posts, read 12,718,846 times
BPD monitors a couple thousand black and Latino kids in the city..maybe a couple hundred idk. Kids they suspect of being in a gang or kids they deem as at risk through a series of state agencies, their address, their family members etc.

Those kids get approached when they’re in certain neighborhoods they’re not really supposed to be in. Or when there’s been a Serious crime or drug bust. There’s a big gang database and basically the requirement are a group of three or more youths who hand in a particular place often and/or call themselves a name. If you are spotted hanging out enough times in a certain place they’ll one and get your info-they got mine because I was in a park when other kids I met literally 15 minutes ago were stetting off fireworks. And again when I was in a car crash at the old rotary near forest hills. I was approached by BPD and questioned about gang activity on Wood Ave ~2011. In fact the Youth Violence Strike Force only operates in B2 B3 and C11 with occasional assurance out to E-18.

Domingos DaRosa who ran for Bsoton city council was in the gang database because of his cousins and their addresses. Some people have been calling for more transparency in that database or more stringent requirements to be put on it.

So seeing kids shaken down in certain hot spots of the city and white college students being allowed to go scot free happens. It likely happens because of the YVSf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts