Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2021, 01:48 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,269,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
When it comes to medical decisions, I will always side with the science.
It kind of makes sense that geriatrics in nursing homes who got vaccinated in January with Pfizer would have efficacy issues with Delta 8 months later. It’s why Israel did booster shots. They were reporting 39% efficacy. If you have unvaccinated CNAs in nursing homes giving the gift of Delta to the residents with compromised immune systems, you’d expect some to land in the ICU. I wouldn’t dismiss anecdotal reports of vaccinated geezers in the ICU. It’s consistent with why we’re doing boosters.

Of course, the data is that you’re 30x more likely to land in the ICU unvaccinated than vaccinated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2021, 07:44 AM

15,866 posts, read 21,445,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Williepaws View Post
my friends who are nurses and working in ICU say their patients are fully vaccinated and over 80. I know of no one who has had covid and i know people who have had severe reactions to the vaccines. You take your choice.

You know no one who has had COVID? Do you live in a bubble?

I know dozens of people who have had covid, many of whom have long-term health issues as a result (all in their 20s and 30s), and have lost 8 people under the age of 65 including 4 coworkers. Vaccines are required at work and all of my friends have them. Out of all of the latter, there has only been one "serious" reaction: my partner's mother who knew she was at risk because an anaphylactic food allergy. 2 hours in the ER and she was good to go.

Much better than week 3 in the hospital, as my unvaccinated childhood best friend (33 years old) is experiencing now. She is of healthy weight and has no preexisting conditions, but COVID gave her blood clots and she's also on a vent.

Regarding the vaccinated 80 year olds, there's a reason there's a push for immunocompromised people to get boosters. We knew even during the trials that they were more at risk due to less robust immune responses. It's why I'm getting a booster despite being more than 30 years too young because we know people with a history of blood cancer "burn through" the vaccine faster than someone without that history. The same is true of the elderly and people on certain medications. Those with solid organ transplants saw no immune response more often than not due to their anti-rejection meds.

None of this is a gotcha, and it's all well-documented.

Old 09-30-2021, 09:40 AM

15,802 posts, read 20,513,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I know dozens of people who have had covid,
Same here, sadly. Most mild fortunately, but I know folks who have died and had a friend in his early 20's actually intubated (and recovered). I know of a few suffering long covid.

I don't know a single person who's has a severe reaction to the vaccine.

Old 09-30-2021, 09:53 AM

16,415 posts, read 8,215,049 times
I know a lot of people who have had covid as well. They've all recovered and are ok except for one 30 year old who had muscular dystrophy.

Old 09-30-2021, 09:57 AM

12,447 posts, read 9,540,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
It kind of makes sense that geriatrics in nursing homes who got vaccinated in January with Pfizer would have efficacy issues with Delta 8 months later. It’s why Israel did booster shots. They were reporting 39% efficacy. If you have unvaccinated CNAs in nursing homes giving the gift of Delta to the residents with compromised immune systems, you’d expect some to land in the ICU. I wouldn’t dismiss anecdotal reports of vaccinated geezers in the ICU. It’s consistent with why we’re doing boosters.

Of course, the data is that you’re 30x more likely to land in the ICU unvaccinated than vaccinated.
So, I can neither prove nor disprove the statement he made regarding everyone with Covid-19 in the hospitals where his friends work being older and vaccinated. But, given that the context is that it's coming from someone whose statements have been broadly contradicting what the doctors and scientists have been reporting around the world about the disease and the vaccines, I think the claim is highly suspect. And even if it *were, somehow* true for some peculiar random sample that the medicine and science denier coincidentally has found in his social network, it would not be characteristic of the overall situation.

Old 10-01-2021, 08:06 AM

3,398 posts, read 1,552,399 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqkEstLIJtU

ya keep disregarding this...

the heart does not repair like the liver. any heart damaged is permanent.

all governments are like the mafia. except they are legal. all governments use violence to maintain power.

Last edited by justyouraveragetenant; 10-01-2021 at 08:48 AM..

Old 10-01-2021, 08:17 AM

6,137 posts, read 5,103,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justyouraveragetenant View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqkEstLIJtU

ya keep disregarding this...

the heart does not repair like the liver. any heart damaged is permenant.
Death is permanent. 670K+ and counting from Covid. You keep disregarding this.

Old 10-01-2021, 08:25 AM

16,415 posts, read 8,215,049 times
Fully vaccinated, still got it:

https://www.cnn.com/2021/10/01/polit...-19/index.html

Old 10-01-2021, 08:41 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
"no symptoms" being the key takeaway

Old 10-01-2021, 08:46 AM

13 posts, read 9,046 times
The second straight year that it has been moved from the April weekend that was its home for more than a century.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts