Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2021, 01:10 PM

6,132 posts, read 5,098,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Then there's this on top of it all

Scientists fear the 'escape mutant' in coronavirus variant from South Africa
https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/med...cid=uxbndlbing
A bit of an eyecatcher headline. Further into the article, "Based on what they've seen so far, they say they highly doubt E484K will render the coronavirus vaccines useless. Rather, they think there's a possibility the mutation -- on its own or in combination with other mutations -- could decrease the efficacy of the vaccine against the variant."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2021, 01:42 PM

7,925 posts, read 7,814,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewfieMama View Post
There have been some local discussions of migration to private school for fear that kids won't be back to a full-time schedule in the fall--I'm on the south shore. The catalyst is that most private school applications are due in February, so parents are having to hedge their bets about what will happen in September.

A couple of schools down here (Hanover, Duxbury) are planning to return to full-time in person (4 days) in February. I think there have been discussions about the same in Braintree, but that hasn't been voted in by the school board yet. I haven't heard of any teachers being vaccinated in my district, but I may just not know. I am not counting on a move to full-time this school year, but am still hopeful about the fall.
I'm not that to impressed about private schools to be honest. I have a few licenses and had an interview that kinda shocked me. No need for MCAS or MTELs. Well....I don't get how paying more for a private education by people that make less than working for a public school. Now if you want private tutors absolutely that can make sense and these learning pods are a great concept.

Way back when Cathedral in western mass had free tuition. But....they had a pretty significant test to get in. I just don't see that with private schools today.

If a student really needs 1 on 1 constant validation for everything they do I kinda question what they want to do when they get older. My girlfriends son graduated high school last year. He was online and he's still mostly online in higher ed. Unless you went to vocational school pretty much all jobs in the area are remote so I have to question what this push for for in person everything given that it flies against most technological achievements. When I was in retail I didn't give any difference of customer service on the phone vs in person.

"We have a customer in isle 12 with a question"

"Ok so what is it?"

"Well can you come here?"

"I have worked here for years. The answer to the question I provide is going to be the same now vs the next eight minutes it is going to take for me to finish and walk over"

Just because someone tells you something face to face doesn't mean it is any better of an answer. Just like some think you get better service at fast food if you walk in vs drive thru's. Same service to me.

I can understand an experience in a vacation or a major life event but for most common office parlance things can be done remotely.

Old 01-13-2021, 02:31 PM

779 posts, read 877,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
I'm not that to impressed about private schools to be honest. I have a few licenses and had an interview that kinda shocked me. No need for MCAS or MTELs. Well....I don't get how paying more for a private education by people that make less than working for a public school. Now if you want private tutors absolutely that can make sense and these learning pods are a great concept.

Way back when Cathedral in western mass had free tuition. But....they had a pretty significant test to get in. I just don't see that with private schools today.

If a student really needs 1 on 1 constant validation for everything they do I kinda question what they want to do when they get older. My girlfriends son graduated high school last year. He was online and he's still mostly online in higher ed. Unless you went to vocational school pretty much all jobs in the area are remote so I have to question what this push for for in person everything given that it flies against most technological achievements. When I was in retail I didn't give any difference of customer service on the phone vs in person.

"We have a customer in isle 12 with a question"

"Ok so what is it?"

"Well can you come here?"

"I have worked here for years. The answer to the question I provide is going to be the same now vs the next eight minutes it is going to take for me to finish and walk over"

Just because someone tells you something face to face doesn't mean it is any better of an answer. Just like some think you get better service at fast food if you walk in vs drive thru's. Same service to me.

I can understand an experience in a vacation or a major life event but for most common office parlance things can be done remotely.
I think these are parents who would normally keep their kids in a public school setting, but are worried that their children are suffering academically and socially from the lack of in-person learning that is happening in public schools since March 2020 and could possibly continue into September 2021. So the question isn't: which is better, public or private? The question is: do I need to pay for private school in order to get my child back to full-time in-person learning?

Old 01-13-2021, 03:34 PM

2,353 posts, read 1,780,522 times
IMO kids in public schools should be repeating the grade. That would mean school officials would have to admit that this year was a waste so I doubt that will happen.

Old 01-13-2021, 05:18 PM

1,899 posts, read 1,403,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
A bit of an eyecatcher headline.
It’s tough to tell what is legit and what is clickbait these days. Having escape mutant in scare quotes in the title isn’t encouraging though.

In more positive news, data released on the JNJ vaccine today shows a robust immune response with one does and minimal side effects.

Old 01-13-2021, 06:59 PM

943 posts, read 410,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by porterhouse View Post
It’s tough to tell what is legit and what is clickbait these days. Having escape mutant in scare quotes in the title isn’t encouraging though.

In more positive news, data released on the JNJ vaccine today shows a robust immune response with one does and minimal side effects.
Hmm, antibody response 2.6-2.9 x greater after second dose. No outcome data yet.

Old 01-14-2021, 05:37 AM

7,925 posts, read 7,814,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewfieMama View Post
I think these are parents who would normally keep their kids in a public school setting, but are worried that their children are suffering academically and socially from the lack of in-person learning that is happening in public schools since March 2020 and could possibly continue into September 2021. So the question isn't: which is better, public or private? The question is: do I need to pay for private school in order to get my child back to full-time in-person learning?
Right but is in person learning better than virtual? What specific empirical information has been presented that would illustrate that as such? Keep in mind there's a few different classifications here.

1) Online education that is synchronized, same times same schedule. Routine. In other words you go to class when you are supposed to. The instruction is made of live interactions with web cams between student and teacher

2) Pre recorded material with nothing live that involves students usually on various message boards. You can pass a class early if you like as all the material is up front.

Coursera has gone back and forth with this concept for years and I can see why. As far as from what I can tell most school districts do #1. I don't know ANY that would say 2. Academia maybe.

Let me ask you this. I'm assuming you want your child to enter higher education. Well for the past 25 or so years that's what has been pushed, including the Ivy's. There's some fields within it that frankly are going online. I can't see that much of a in person future for MBA programs. Hard sciences sure but this was bound to pop.

To be honest most business is not really conducted face to face. I don't pay my credit card bill at some kiosk and pay in cash. My Alexa is not a town crier it's all electric and online. We might be setting students up to fail when they graduate and go to high education and then when they enter the workforce. I remember my folks asking me about work after graduation "Is there someone there that shows you want to do" Um that's what the education is for. At this point you are in an office in front of a screen, make it happen. spread sheets, documents, reporting, email etc.

Old 01-14-2021, 06:00 AM

2,353 posts, read 1,780,522 times
Quote:
Right but is in person learning better than virtual?
Without question.

Old 01-14-2021, 06:15 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,139,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yesmaybe View Post
IMO kids in public schools should be repeating the grade. That would mean school officials would have to admit that this year was a waste so I doubt that will happen.
It also means increasing capacity by 25%+ in HS settings. Definitely NOT happening.

Old 01-14-2021, 07:06 AM

15,799 posts, read 20,504,199 times
Quote:
Right but is in person learning better than virtual?
My kids are actually all in person (one 4 days, one 5 days) so I can only speak to myself regarding technical training I've done for work over the past year.

But Yes, I've gotten more out of in-person training sessions than I have with the remote sessions we've been forced to take this past year. I would even go as far to say that the next session we have for a topic, I would rather just risk it in do it in a classroom setting. I feel like the remote sessions have been a waste for myself and my team.

If i'm struggling with it, I can only imagine how kids feel
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts