Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2021, 09:05 AM

16,294 posts, read 8,126,207 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
My irony meter pegged again.

why don't you go get your lungs looked at then. Maybe you had it and didnt even know it and youre lungs are screwed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2021, 09:09 AM

875 posts, read 662,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
A good discussion - Pfizer/BioNTech and Moderna are increasing their vaccine production, but caution that biologics production is complex and tricky - even if the last batch went fine, the next batch could have big problems... and while currently there is more demand than available supply, within 2-3 months, the limiting factor may be public reluctance.

"Companies scramble to expand coronavirus vaccine supply"
https://www.washingtonpost.com/healt...accine-supply/
Agreed - at least one of the pluses of mRNA technology is the ability to scale up relatively quickly.

And yes, I believe the bolded piece will ultimately be our greatest challenge - general apprehension combined with a meeting of the minds of the anti-vaxxers from before, the right wing 'its just the flu', and the Gates/4G chip loons

Old 01-15-2021, 09:11 AM

24,555 posts, read 18,230,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post

why don't you go get your lungs looked at then. Maybe you had it and didnt even know it and youre lungs are screwed.

I'm not the one doing my absolute best to kill off grandma and grandpa on the Cape.

Old 01-15-2021, 09:19 AM

Default Re

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I'm not the one doing my absolute best to kill off grandma and grandpa on the Cape.
I haven't been to the cape since October. Keep reaching.

Old 01-15-2021, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawyer2 View Post

And yes, I believe the bolded piece will ultimately be our greatest challenge - general apprehension combined with a meeting of the minds of the anti-vaxxers from before, the right wing 'its just the flu', and the Gates/4G chip loons

It's 5G chip loons. You forfeit the right to wear that tin foil hat.

My fiancee just got her 2nd Pfizer jab on Wednesday. She just had some arm soreness with the first one. She has a bit of fever after the 2nd one. That's apparently fairly common for their 2nd jab. It should cut my risk significantly since she is the only person in my bubble. There's insufficient data but I think it's unlikely she could get a COVID URI and give it to me. The closest I get to a human otherwise is 2 people on a 6-seater chairlift with both of us wearing masks.

Her staff at all her Connecticut hospitals can now get relatives age 75+ into the hospital for vaccination. Everyone with a license has to do at least 20 hours of vaccinating people during Q1. It's scaling very quickly. They should be on to the next phase with 65+ and people with co-morbidities in a few weeks.

Old 01-15-2021, 09:33 AM

6,121 posts, read 5,084,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Not shame, educate. There are still many people that think that you only get a sniffle and recover 100% and just a small segment of old, crippled people who were one foot in the grave anyway get sick and die. I know quite a few actually that feel this way.

I mean, my family is a perfect example. My MIL has had covid twice, with an ICU stay for the first occurrence. She's had ongoing medical issues since. Her (ex) husband things this is just a cold that 99.99% of people recover from and refuses to wear a mask, and thinks it's all a democrat-initiated conspiracy to make people dependant on the gov't. He literally has evidence under his nose and refuses to see it.
See this is really telling. It represents an abject failure of our education system, IMO. How can folks be so deluded as to ascribe political motives to a pandemic, and ignore common sense and public health guidance. And guess what, we'll have this problem again with the next pandemic. History books will have a field day with this one...and future generations will question our collective intelligence. I know such people too...like your MIL's ex...the only difference is they haven't had Covid hit their inner circles yet which has affirmed their stance.

It's a real reality check--if people can't understand what's going on in front of them, from a science perspective, how would they ever grasp something so subtle and abstract as climate change?

Old 01-15-2021, 09:34 AM

7,920 posts, read 7,806,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Not shame, educate. There are still many people that think that you only get a sniffle and recover 100% and just a small segment of old, crippled people who were one foot in the grave anyway get sick and die. I know quite a few actually that feel this way.

I mean, my family is a perfect example. My MIL has had covid twice, with an ICU stay for the first occurrence. She's had ongoing medical issues since. Her (ex) husband things this is just a cold that 99.99% of people recover from and refuses to wear a mask, and thinks it's all a democrat-initiated conspiracy to make people dependant on the gov't. He literally has evidence under his nose and refuses to see it.
I bumped into a neighbor I haven't seen in months. It was interesting. He said he had it and his wife did too but she had double pneumonia, much worse. The doctor told him he had 5% chance to live. But...they asked him what he does. The guy feeds birds and has for years. Sounds like they think the vitamin D helped.

From what I've read is that exposure dictates severity. It's almost like 2nd hand smoke. Say your great uncle used to smoke near you during the holidays as a kid vs being a waitress at a diner in the 1970s.

Some of the lessons of 1918 ring true. One of them was "Survival does not mean normal". Some things in life can be fixed. You break an arm or a leg, need glasses etc. Other things have lingering effects. Nerve damage comes to mind usually with burn victims or amputees with phantom pain.

Old 01-15-2021, 09:47 AM

Ok anyone who has covid is *****ed. Good luck.

Old 01-15-2021, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
See this is really telling. It represents an abject failure of our education system, IMO. How can folks be so deluded as to ascribe political motives to a pandemic, and ignore common sense and public health guidance. And guess what, we'll have this problem again with the next pandemic. History books will have a field day with this one...and future generations will question our collective intelligence. I know such people too...like your MIL's ex...the only difference is they haven't had Covid hit their inner circles yet which has affirmed their stance.

It's a real reality check--if people can't understand what's going on in front of them, from a science perspective, how would they ever grasp something so subtle and abstract as climate change?

I don't think it has anything to do with our education system. It's that people are raised to believe in mythology. Santa Claus. The Easter Bunny. The Tooth Fairy. The earth was created in 7 days and dinosaurs and man walked the earth at the same time. If that's your set of dogma, why would you apply critical thought to COVID-19 or climate change? You're just going to blindly accept the dogma from the same sources as always.

Old 01-15-2021, 09:52 AM

12,817 posts, read 21,993,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post

Our education system has many faults, but is this really one of them? There are a lot of educated, otherwise intelligent people out there who think this is some sort of conspiracy. One of my good (and up to this point, rational) friends who is an MBA and extremely successful believes that this is all a power grab by the liberal government. I'm not sure what the education system could have done to change his stance (we went to the same middle and high school and had many of the same classes). It seems like some people have a propensity for this type of thinking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts