Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2021, 08:03 AM

12,443 posts, read 9,540,640 times

Advertisements

There are people with a lower degree who are smarter than many with a higher degree, there are people who have a degree in an allied field and can excel in another field. There are people who went to an average university who can outperform many who went to a top school. That said, these are the exceptions, and the existence of such exceptions doesn't mean that degree subject, degree level and school reputation mean nothing - the general correlations are there. That's why top employers hire people with advanced degrees, in the subject of job application, from strong schools, when it comes to the STEM fields at least - they're playing the odds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2021, 08:12 AM

5,116 posts, read 2,672,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
So someone who had a PhD in medieval studies is at the top of the pyramid?

I think that pyramid is part of the problem. I know it’s a silly meme but having a higher degree doesn’t make someone an authority at life. I say this as someone who has a masters degree as well. I still know there are plenty of people out there with a bachelors degree or less who know more than I do about many things. And just because someone had a PhD or an MD doesn’t make them better than someone else.

Hope everyone had a great Xmas.
They'll post something like this but when someone with similar or greater credentials brings into question the expert they fawn over, well, it's a different story. It is interesting (and comical) to watch the tangled webs they weave in trying to defend some of this utter nonsense. The food and drug industries work hand in glove to keep Americans unhealthy yet the naive suckers keep sucking it up. And it shows quite clearly in life expectancy.

Old 12-26-2021, 08:30 AM

16,412 posts, read 8,215,049 times
I remember when covid first happened my co worker who does have a PhD in immunology was disgusted by how covid was being sensationalized and at how people were freaking out. Apparently he thought life should just have carried on as usual back then.

Old 12-26-2021, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
Sound scientific methods = "Orthodoxy" for the uneducated.
Does "uneducated" include the MD/MPH at issue here?

Old 12-26-2021, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I remember when covid first happened my co worker who does have a PhD in immunology was disgusted by how covid was being sensationalized and at how people were freaking out. Apparently he thought life should just have carried on as usual back then.
Well, he was wrong. Certainly that's not what most scientists and doctors think, and I imagine that even this co-worker has revised their view on what appropriate actions are, versus that first reaction.

Old 12-26-2021, 08:52 AM

23,570 posts, read 18,722,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
Well, he was wrong. Certainly that's not what most scientists and doctors think, and I imagine that even this co-worker has revised their view on what appropriate actions are, versus that first reaction.

How do you know if he was wrong, when we don't even know what he said really? What experts are currently recommending that people "freak out"? There is a long way from taking charge of a real situation to "freaking out". People seem to have a hard time understanding that.

Old 12-26-2021, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
How do you know if he was wrong, when we don't even know what he said really? What experts are currently recommending that people "freak out"? There is a long way from taking charge of a real situation to "freaking out". People seem to have a hard time understanding that.
What? Taking no action would have greatly increased mortality and morbidity. If you don't believe that, IMO you haven't been paying attention.

Old 12-26-2021, 09:06 AM

23,570 posts, read 18,722,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
What? Taking no action would have greatly increased mortality and morbidity. If you don't believe that, IMO you haven't been paying attention.

Who said anything about taking "no action"?

Old 12-26-2021, 09:07 AM

Why do so many on this thread frame this issue in absolutist terms and mutually exclusive options of either freaking out or taking no action? Perfect example of why specialized experts shouldn't be allowed to completely dictate national response.

Old 12-26-2021, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Who said anything about taking "no action"?
" Apparently he thought life should just have carried on as usual back then." - it's right there, in plain English, and this is also not the first time she has described the situation and I also recall prior comments. The guy was just offbase and he shot from the hip with his criticism, rather than looking carefully at things and being thoughtful. Surely, you can understand how that can happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts