Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2020, 08:46 AM

15,861 posts, read 21,441,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
From a press conference, it was alluded that the main demographic responsible for the uptick was persons age 19-39, and as a result of informal small social gatherings.

That age range covers the parents of school-age children, so it can be surmised that household transmission is occurring in such cases where kids are testing positive. I don't believe there is any evidence of transmission occurring in school however, and such closures that are occurring now are merely precautionary.

In my city, the highest percentage of cases are in people aged 1-19. Aged 30-39 is the next biggest chunk, so it bares out that it could be children and their parents given the ages.

Our schools went all remote starting this week because of the increase in young people testing positive, but also the impact of quarantining close contacts on the schools. If someone tests positive, their whole class is quarantined. I'm not sure how that extends to siblings and their classrooms. If students are switching classes (more likely at older ages), that could be a lot of students AND teachers who have to work remotely at the drop of a hat for 2 weeks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2020, 08:48 AM

17,737 posts, read 9,192,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I don't believe there is any significant evidence of transmission occurring in school between different children however, and such closures that are occurring now are merely precautionary.

Mike, when is there ever any evidence of transmission?

Old 10-22-2020, 08:52 AM

15,797 posts, read 20,504,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
In my city, the highest percentage of cases are in people aged 1-19. Aged 30-39 is the next biggest chunk, so it bares out that it could be children and their parents given the ages.
So unfortunately the question still stands as to which direction the transmission is occurring.

Are parents spreading it between themselves and then due to close association giving it to their children, or are kids spreading it between themselves and then giving it to their parents?

Edit:
I just looked up my cities stats.

For Sept/Oct, age ranges most affected age 30-59, with the 40-49 group having the biggest increase. 0-19 was also pretty high....much higher than age 60+

Median age was 40.

So parents/kids does seem to be plausible...

Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
Mike, when is there ever any evidence of transmission?
touché

Last edited by BostonMike7; 10-22-2020 at 09:01 AM..

Old 10-22-2020, 08:56 AM

875 posts, read 663,995 times
Quote:
It seems obvious (to me) that the kids are spreading it in their households and in the community. If that's not the case, then what's going on? I can't come up with any other explanation.
A few contributing factors off the top of my head

- Colder weather
- More businesses returning to in-office
- Knock on effect from relaxed restrictions over the last few months
- Increase social/family gatherings (may be one of the greatest contributing factors to current spike)
- Increased apathy/weariness

Last edited by sawyer2; 10-22-2020 at 09:26 AM..

Old 10-22-2020, 08:59 AM

16,400 posts, read 8,198,277 times
Default re

Quote:
This is a public health emergency. Again, I'm sorry that you're inconvenienced. We all are. Some more than others...I get that, but what other option is there?
If it's truly a public health emergency then why are all places operating as they pretty much always do except for schools? Yes employers are letting people work from home but they still have to work even while home schooling kids. It's not just an inconvenience for many, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense. You can go into a restaurant or have your kids play sports, but many schools are completely remote.

Old 10-22-2020, 09:02 AM

Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
This is a great idea in theory, but companies need to figure out how to fairly manage the work so that those of us without kids don't get stuck with the brunt of it.

The head of my department made it clear that taking a leave is an option for parents. Now my boss is on leave for at least 3 months. Another 2 coworkers are down to part time. One more (the coworker currently in charge) is considering taking a leave. That's 3 (maybe 4) of the 7 people on my team. These aren't positions that could be filled by a temp, and while some projects can be pushed off, much of what we do is core to the operations of the organization.

It is abject hell for those of us who have stayed. I went from working 50-60 hours a week 3 weeks ago to working 80 hours for the past few weeks to manage things left behind because of the leaves. We're all salaried and, to add insult to injury, we didn't get a raise this year and benefits have been cut. All of us left behind are working to get out, though I've given up applying in my industry because I keep hearing similar tales from colleagues elsewhere.

I'm not saying that the parents are wrong for taking a step back, but companies need to have a plan to relieve those who stay. It's no-win, especially since many companies don't have the budget to fill the gaps given covid's impact on many industries. Parents can't carry all the weight, but so many companies are pushing more to those of us who do not yet have or do not plan to have children, or whose kids are older, to do more and give up our off-time.
I agree it's not fair for those who don't have kids to get stuck with more work. Maybe companies need to change their strategies and goals for a while until this pandemic calms down. At my place of work, I'm working from home, but it's still business as usual. People are understanding of those who have kids, but the people that do have kids (myself included) aren't doing things much differently than before.

Old 10-22-2020, 02:37 PM

448 posts, read 282,292 times
ugh.

DAILY #S
Mass. reports 30 new COVID-19 deaths, 986 new cases

Old 10-22-2020, 02:39 PM

6,129 posts, read 5,098,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtolpin View Post
ugh.

DAILY #S
This is not good, before the "indoor" season even gets underway. I wonder if we'll be reversing course on Phase 3 as a state? This town-by-town red/yellow system doesn't seem to be containing the case count.

Old 10-22-2020, 02:59 PM

6,808 posts, read 6,045,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtolpin View Post
ugh.

Back to the bunkers, boys and girls!

Old 10-22-2020, 03:02 PM

I would like to see something close other than a damn school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts