Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2020, 10:57 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,269,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
Restaurants are packed, grocery stores and malls.

The NY Times epidemiologist survey from 3 days ago, most responded that they're running errands. The relative risk of a grocery store off-hours where everyone is wearing a mask is very different from eating indoors in a restaurant where you have no sense for the quality of the HVAC system. I haven't been to a mall in easily a year but if I had to go to an Apple Store with a dead iPhone or iPad, I'd go to a mall off hours. At this point, the data is pretty good that most of the spread is from being close to other people where nobody is wearing a mask. The grocery store isn't zero risk but it's quite low.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2020, 11:01 AM

16,412 posts, read 8,215,049 times
Just seems like people here want throw stones at those who go out to eat, go to the store, have people over but then it's like oh well to the people who actually go to a job instead of calling out sick when they have covid. Sorry but it makes no sense to me. Any employer should be understanding of people not going to work if they have covid.

And I think we all know that people aren't just headed out to work with covid. There are some scumbag people out there who going to restaurants and stores and friends homes with covid. Stop thinking they're just going out because they HAVE to.

Old 12-07-2020, 11:02 AM

23,570 posts, read 18,722,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
The NY Times epidemiologist survey from 3 days ago, most responded that they're running errands. The relative risk of a grocery store off-hours where everyone is wearing a mask is very different from eating indoors in a restaurant where you have no sense for the quality of the HVAC system. I haven't been to a mall in easily a year but if I had to go to an Apple Store with a dead iPhone or iPad, I'd go to a mall off hours. At this point, the data is pretty good that most of the spread is from being close to other people where nobody is wearing a mask. The grocery store isn't zero risk but it's quite low.

People had been going to grocery stores and restaurants all summer, and the case count was low. Other stuff changed.

Old 12-07-2020, 11:04 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
We'll turn you into a Libertarian yet. You have the key talking points down.

Why, bless your heart.

Old 12-07-2020, 11:21 AM

9,096 posts, read 6,321,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
People had been going to grocery stores and restaurants all summer, and the case count was low. Other stuff changed.
Things got really bad in October and November onward. We need to focus on what has changed between June-July-August and October-November.

Old 12-07-2020, 11:24 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,040,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Just seems like people here want throw stones at those who go out to eat, go to the store, have people over but then it's like oh well to the people who actually go to a job instead of calling out sick when they have covid. Sorry but it makes no sense to me. Any employer should be understanding of people not going to work if they have covid.

And I think we all know that people aren't just headed out to work with covid. There are some scumbag people out there who going to restaurants and stores and friends homes with covid. Stop thinking they're just going out because they HAVE to.
How often are you getting tested?

Old 12-07-2020, 11:28 AM

17,743 posts, read 9,202,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
Things got really bad in October and November onward. We need to focus on what has changed between June-July-August and October-November.

People still won't admit it, but the reason is extremely obvious.

Old 12-07-2020, 11:36 AM

448 posts, read 282,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Well we should have known this was going to spread the way it has since there seem to be so many people out there who can't stay home. It seems like many of your are forgiving of this? I guess i'm in the if you have corona you still stay home even if it means not getting paid.

I still find it weird that so many were overly critical of healthy people having close family in their home but you can understand why others were unable to quarantine because of corona. 'Unable' is always kind of up in the air. I'm sure there are simply selfish people out there who didn't quarantine and weren't just in dire straights.
Im sure, if I were an hourly person and needed money for rent for my family, Id sure go off to work. I need to pay the bills.

Disclaimer: Not me, but I certainly can see why someone goes off to work.

Old 12-07-2020, 11:39 AM

6,132 posts, read 5,103,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
People still won't admit it, but the reason is extremely obvious.
If you're talking about the return of college students, you've stated that previously. But the data don't support it. As you know, MA reports the data several ways...and the student population positivity rate has consistently been below the mean. BU and Northeastern, who have the largest resident population, test 2 - 3 x / week. Even if their students are partying off-campus, wouldn't that be reflected in the statistics?

I do think the main reason is indoor gatherings without masking--whether that's family & friends, indoor dining, or gyms. I also wonder how much the workplaces that have opened back up for business, and which allow people to be unmasked while in their cube or office, have contributed to this.

Old 12-07-2020, 11:45 AM

9,096 posts, read 6,321,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
I also wonder how much the workplaces that have opened back up for business, and which allow people to be unmasked while in their cube or office, have contributed to this.
^^^I tend to believe this is a contributing factor that is rarely mentioned anymore. Enclosed offices still share a much larger ventilation system, sometimes even with an entire floor of a building.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts