Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2021, 02:32 PM

875 posts, read 663,831 times

Advertisements

Hopefully this will speed thing up

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireSt...cines-75134340
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2021, 02:32 PM

12,420 posts, read 9,519,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I thought Mass Vaccination Plans were in our national strategic defense plan? For the 10+ months or so of time they had to plan the distribution, i'm not really impressed.
There was a good deal written over the past few months that there was not enough (barely any) funding for the states to do the distribution, and there was little guidance for, little coordination with, and little assistance to state agencies. The feds pretty much just "throw the vaccine vials over the wall" and say "here, you figure it out". Which is less than optimal. All states need to solve the same problems. It makes sense therefore to do one assessment and come up with one set of solutions that can be widely leveraged. There should have been federal guidance and federal norms for how things would be done, as well of course as identifying where gaps would be, where assistance would be needed and providing it and filling the gaps. Instead, it's like "not my problem!" I think the states are doing the best they can, and we will get there, but better teamwork really, better partnering between federal and state govts would have helped things go more efficiently.

Old 01-08-2021, 03:19 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,254,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
There was a good deal written over the past few months that there was not enough (barely any) funding for the states to do the distribution, and there was little guidance for, little coordination with, and little assistance to state agencies. The feds pretty much just "throw the vaccine vials over the wall" and say "here, you figure it out". Which is less than optimal. All states need to solve the same problems. It makes sense therefore to do one assessment and come up with one set of solutions that can be widely leveraged. There should have been federal guidance and federal norms for how things would be done, as well of course as identifying where gaps would be, where assistance would be needed and providing it and filling the gaps. Instead, it's like "not my problem!" I think the states are doing the best they can, and we will get there, but better teamwork really, better partnering between federal and state govts would have helped things go more efficiently.

We all know why this mess happened. The United States has been systematically dismantling any semblance of national public health since Ronnie in the name of lower taxes (for affluent people). Guess what? It finally came back and bit us. Lobbing it over the wall at the states to let them figure it out is a recipe for failure.

I doubt Biden's team will be able to pull it out of the dumpster but it should at least be better than the Trump total failure of leadership. 100 million in 100 days doesn't look possible.

Old 01-08-2021, 03:40 PM

2,352 posts, read 1,779,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
The feds pretty much just "throw the vaccine vials over the wall" and say "here, you figure it out". Which is less than optimal. All states need to solve the same problems. It makes sense therefore to do one assessment and come up with one set of solutions that can be widely leveraged.
The CDC did develop a plan and gave it to the states. That the CDC plan is dumb is another story.

Old 01-08-2021, 03:40 PM

16,395 posts, read 8,187,139 times
7,635 new COVID-19 cases, 74 additional deaths

Old 01-08-2021, 04:06 PM

2,352 posts, read 1,779,566 times
Does seem like the hospitalization growth is slowing.

Old 01-08-2021, 04:13 PM

16,395 posts, read 8,187,139 times
that's good. Cases increased in my town and the high school was going to shut down this week but they didnt. A party happened (was all over the news) on new years eve where high school kids from other towns showed up, police came, etc. But the elementary school is ok...we actually may go to 4 days a week starting in feb which would be great. its just two now.

Old 01-08-2021, 04:30 PM

15,796 posts, read 20,499,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yesmaybe View Post
Does seem like the hospitalization growth is slowing.
Average age of hospitalizations was around 73 years old.

The growth right now seems to be in the younger age segments, so not surprising hospitalizations aren't keeping pace with increased number of cases.

Wife just told me that schools will be offering weekly testing to students/staff for those who want it. I didn't catch all the specifics or details though. Supposedly being rolled out to all schools? No clue who will conduct that.

Old 01-08-2021, 04:57 PM

943 posts, read 410,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
We all know why this mess happened. The United States has been systematically dismantling any semblance of national public health since Ronnie in the name of lower taxes (for affluent people). Guess what? It finally came back and bit us. Lobbing it over the wall at the states to let them figure it out is a recipe for failure.

I doubt Biden's team will be able to pull it out of the dumpster but it should at least be better than the Trump total failure of leadership. 100 million in 100 days doesn't look possible.
Even if it were possible - I think Biden referred to 100 shots - which means only 50 million vaccinated by the end of April. Not good, especially as the new variant will be dominant well before then (none of it his fault, of course). People who've had covid in last 6 months should be forced to delay vaccinations in order not to waste precious doses on people who are likely immune.
At least we'll no longer have a president who is actively doing everything to make things worse...I am grateful that Biden is willing to take on this huge mess.

Old 01-10-2021, 08:29 AM

7,924 posts, read 7,813,022 times
I'm thinking there's going to be a big push in the summer. If we don't see this solved by mid November I fear it will get worse again.

In terms of a new normal international students won't really be back for years. I can't see people really returning to larger cities like Boston and NYC. No one wants 60+ minute commutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts