Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2021, 09:53 AM

6,138 posts, read 5,105,885 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I’ve heard people say they’re refusing because they think it’s a scam and just a way for big pharma to get even richer not caring about the people. Things like that.
To which I say, let 'em get rich, if it's in the process of saving lives. If these same people take Tylenol and other OTC medications, guess what...they're patronizing and funding "Big Pharma" already.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2021, 09:54 AM

4,669 posts, read 4,982,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Which is why I call BS on 99% of them. Like I said, the numbers are very few. Like with any profession, there are people who just don't belong there. This could be a good way of weeding out a few of those and making room for those with a legit public service mindset.
That's what I figured. It's about their "mindset," for you. No matter that they actually perform public service, with skill and dedication and bravery -- if some of them have impure thoughts about the nature of their work, it's grounds to be "weeded out."

I hear this argument all the time. Basically, open discussion and debate is too difficult and dangerous, and it would just be easier/better if everyone thought about everything the same way...so we would like to fire people.

Last edited by CaseyB; 12-22-2021 at 04:37 AM.. Reason: off topic

Old 12-21-2021, 10:08 AM

15,866 posts, read 21,449,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
Your behavior was insane (Lysol? Come on.). As is your belief that firefighters who moved about your grandmother's house left a cloud of aerosol particles that were going to make your grandmother seriously sick when she went back in, but somehow slapping on a blue surgical mask would prevent those aerosol particles from ever making it out of the firefighters into the air. Utter insanity.

Bless your sweet lil ol' heart! You keep repeating that masks are useless even though it's been proven to be false. Keep it up, champ! One of these days, maybe you'll be right!

But please tell my 90 year old grandmother who watched many of her lifelong friends die of COVID that her request was insane. Please.

Those firemen were so brave to be so triggered by a mask that they couldn't put one on and stand a few feet back when speaking to someone who is visibly at the highest risk factor. So brave. So tough.

Old 12-21-2021, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Bless your sweet lil ol' heart! You keep repeating that masks are useless even though it's been proven to be false. Keep it up, champ! One of these days, maybe you'll be right!

But please tell my 90 year old grandmother who watched many of her lifelong friends die of COVID that her request was insane. Please.

Those firemen were so brave to be so triggered by a mask that they couldn't put one on and stand a few feet back when speaking to someone who is visibly at the highest risk factor. So brave. So tough.
They said "no" to an insane request. Your grandmother wasn't even in the house, or if she was, she didn't need to be. They are firefighters; LET THEM WORK. Everything is not about your neuroses!

And here's an uncomfortable fact about 90-year-olds: they often die. All the frantic Lysol-spraying in the world is not going to change that fact.

Old 12-21-2021, 10:16 AM

16,415 posts, read 8,215,049 times
Default Re

Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
To which I say, let 'em get rich, if it's in the process of saving lives. If these same people take Tylenol and other OTC medications, guess what...they're patronizing and funding "Big Pharma" already.
Meh. Someone like Betsy nabel doesn’t need to be any richer than she already was/is. And she didn’t save anyone’s life.

All that aside other people getting rich is not a reason for someone else to be mad and not do something useful for the health.

Old 12-21-2021, 10:18 AM

12,453 posts, read 9,540,640 times
Quote:
Hospitals make money, so do drug makers, medical device makers, doctors, diagnostic companies, etc - I guess they're all just in on the fraud. Why don't all these conspiracy people boycott medicine and healthcare altogether? You can always patronize e.g. "alternative medicine" practitioners and e.g. herbal remedies, but guess what - they make money too, and they have literally no requirement to demonstrate either safety or efficacy.

Old 12-21-2021, 10:31 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,981,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
Hospitals make money, so do drug makers, medical device makers, doctors, diagnostic companies, etc - I guess they're all just in on the fraud. Why don't all these conspiracy people boycott medicine and healthcare altogether? You can always patronize e.g. "alternative medicine" practitioners and e.g. herbal remedies, but guess what - they make money too, and they have literally no requirement to demonstrate either safety or efficacy.
Maybe these people who are against all this really want socialized medicine and the elimination of for profit businesses?

Oddly, it seems to be coming from many of the same actors that complain about communism which they see under every rock.

Old 12-21-2021, 10:35 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,981,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
They said "no" to an insane request. Your grandmother wasn't even in the house, or if she was, she didn't need to be. They are firefighters; LET THEM WORK. Everything is not about your neuroses! .
Perhaps you didn't know this, but fireifghters have to wear proper protective gear when entering a burning building. It's required. Not optional. Why? They are not only putting themselves at risk, but their comrades who may very well be forced into a more dangerous situation exacerbated by the lack of protective gear (self contained oxygen, etc). The vaccine is no different. Not having it puts both themselves, their co workers, and the public they're dealing with at higher risk. The data is overwhelming on that front despite the protestations that "well you can catch covid anyway with the vaccine so there is no point". One is more immediate and apparent, the other longer term, yet no less real.

Old 12-21-2021, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Perhaps you didn't know this, but fireifghters have to wear proper protective gear when entering a burning building. It's required. Not optional. Why? They are not only putting themselves at risk, but their comrades who may very well be forced into a more dangerous situation exacerbated by the lack of protective gear (self contained oxygen, etc). The vaccine is no different. Not having it puts both themselves, their co workers, and the public they're dealing with at higher risk. The data is overwhelming on that front despite the protestations that "well you can catch covid anyway with the vaccine so there is no point". One is more immediate and apparent, the other longer term, yet no less real.
So does being metabolically unhealthy, because you're sick more often, and since some disease is communicable, then by definition, you're spreading more disease. Would you dare move to reduce risk by telling a firefighter they couldn't work because they're metabolically unhealthy? "We have data showing you're putting others at risk...you're fired." What road are we going down here, and what is the actual purpose of it?

To bring it full circle, you think Hitler didn't have "data" and "science" to show Jews carried typhus? Of course he did. Was it hogwash, of course it was, but he had it, and the "Good Germans" believed it.

"Oh, but we're different." Sure. Guess we'll see.

Old 12-21-2021, 10:54 AM

1,899 posts, read 1,405,981 times
Quote:
To which I say, let 'em get rich, if it's in the process of saving lives.
I understand the hesitancy. These vaccines are miraculous developments. However, it would be naive not to recognize there are billions of dollars in profits at stake. Even with the purest of intentions, that kind of profit is going to skew things. Brought to you by the companies that killed millions by creating the opioid epidemic.

I am grateful for and support the vaccines, but I think we can take a balanced view.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts