Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2021, 09:15 AM

4,669 posts, read 4,982,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
1), 2) Latest numbers I've seen still show an unvaccinated person as FIVE times more likely to get infected than one who is vaccinated. Quit pushing that false talking point that choosing not to get the shot is only affecting that one person.

3) Very few firefighters have refused. Those who did make a big stink about it probably aren't cut out for public service to begin with. If getting poked with a little needle is going to send you into meltdown status, I sure as heck don't see you running into a burning building or treating a bad trauma patient. There are plenty in line willing to fill your shoes.
Guy...THEY ALREADY RUN INTO BURNING BUILDINGS AND TREAT TRAUMA PATIENTS.

I mean...hello?!?

These are some of the bravest people among us. They are not "afraid of being poked with a little needle." That asinine talking point needed to be retired yesterday. You need to keep digging if you want to find the actual reason some are refusing. I recommend maybe having a conversation with one of them and asking them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2021, 09:20 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,981,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
You need to keep digging if you want to find the actual reason some are refusing. I recommend maybe having a conversation with one of them and asking them.
Sadly. I have. I've only heard conspiracy theory crap, experimental vaccine crap, etc. With one at joint base CC (this was awhile ago, the summer) it was religious, but it was at best spurious since they didn't check their other medications and otc drug use for the same testing (so not a sincere religious belief). Nothing remotely intelligent.

Old 12-21-2021, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
In November of 2020, before vaccines were available, I was helping clean out my 90 year old grandmother's house for her move to independent living when we smelled gas. I called the fire department, and not a single person on the two trucks that showed up wore a mask. I had to ask them to put on a mask and back up when they came over to talk to us, to which they scoffed, and my grandmother had to sit in a running car when I ran around lysoling everything after they left because she didn't feel safe going back into the house. I will never forget how frustrating it was to have the people who are supposed to be helpers refuse to do the bare minimum to keep an old lady safer.

Fire 'em.
Your behavior was insane (Lysol? Come on.). As is your belief that firefighters who moved about your grandmother's house left a cloud of aerosol particles that were going to make your grandmother seriously sick when she went back in, but somehow slapping on a blue surgical mask would prevent those aerosol particles from ever making it out of the firefighters into the air. Utter insanity.

Old 12-21-2021, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Sadly. I have. I've only heard conspiracy theory crap, experimental vaccine crap, etc. With one at joint base CC (this was awhile ago, the summer) it was religious, but it was at best spurious since they didn't check their other medications and otc drug use for the same testing (so not a sincere religious belief). Nothing remotely intelligent.
Conspiracy theories like, it won't just be the first set of two shots that will be required, they will push to require more shots? Conspiracy theories like, they will move to ban people who aren't up-to-date on their shots from basic activities like going to church?

Those kind of conspiracy theories? Or just the ones that haven't come true yet?

Old 12-21-2021, 09:29 AM

23,598 posts, read 18,730,403 times
Quote:
Guy...THEY ALREADY RUN INTO BURNING BUILDINGS AND TREAT TRAUMA PATIENTS.

I mean...hello?!?

These are some of the bravest people among us. They are not "afraid of being poked with a little needle." That asinine talking point needed to be retired yesterday. You need to keep digging if you want to find the actual reason some are refusing. I recommend maybe having a conversation with one of them and asking them.

Which is why I call BS on 99% of them. Like I said, the numbers are very few. Like with any profession, there are people who just don't belong there. This could be a good way of weeding out a few of those and making room for those with a legit public service mindset.

Old 12-21-2021, 09:31 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,981,862 times
Quote:
Conspiracy theories like, it won't just be the first set of two shots that will be required, they will push to require more shots? Conspiracy theories like, they will move to ban people who aren't up-to-date on their shots from basic activities like going to church?

Those kind of conspiracy theories? Or just the ones that haven't come true yet?
More like wuhan flu was made to control people, Made to scuttle the economy. Its just a big ruse by big pharma. Horse dewormer will cure it, "liberal" news is suppressing information. Lots of the same ignorant stuff we see on this far right site.

Boosters for vaccines isn't conspiracy, I've had boosters for two other vaccines this past year besides covid. Totally normal and expected.

Old 12-21-2021, 09:32 AM

16,417 posts, read 8,223,904 times
I’ve heard people say they’re refusing because they think it’s a scam and just a way for big pharma to get even richer not caring about the people. Things like that.

Old 12-21-2021, 09:34 AM

23,598 posts, read 18,730,403 times
Quote:
Your behavior was insane (Lysol? Come on.). As is your belief that firefighters who moved about your grandmother's house left a cloud of aerosol particles that were going to make your grandmother seriously sick when she went back in, but somehow slapping on a blue surgical mask would prevent those aerosol particles from ever making it out of the firefighters into the air. Utter insanity.

Read up on how properly worn surgical masks deflect aerosol droplets in close quarters, and also the reduction in Covid transmission among school populations with consistent masking vs. those that don't.

Old 12-21-2021, 09:35 AM

337 posts, read 268,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Those I've spoken to are largely concerned about adverse reactions and long term effects, and would like to wait longer before they get it.

Old 12-21-2021, 09:49 AM

12,470 posts, read 9,550,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I’ve heard people say they’re refusing because they think it’s a scam and just a way for big pharma to get even richer not caring about the people. Things like that.
Of course, there is lots of data demonstrating the safety and efficacy of the approved vaccines, and, not all vaccines were approved - hard to square those facts with the view that this is all just made up to make money. The vaccine from big pharma Astra Zeneca was not approved for example, and more recently, the CDC gave updated guidance that the two mRNA vaccines from Moderna and Pfizer/BioNtech are preferred versus the big pharma J&J vaccine. The specifics driving these decisions are all out there and have been reviewed ad nauseum on this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts