Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2021, 08:19 AM

337 posts, read 268,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
It was just an example, of course there are more. Point is there are other options, and the jobs that do require it probably weren't the right career for you in the first place if things like getting shots are that much of an issue for you.
In the city of Boston, firefighters for one are very unhappy with the new requirements. Something about terminating people willing to run into burning buildings because of a personal medical decision strikes me as very ironic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2021, 08:19 AM

12,483 posts, read 9,570,120 times
Here's a December 17 report in Nature News providing editorial discussion of the Omicron situation. As you'd expect, it's a good deal more in-depth and nuanced than you will see from general news sources.
https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-03794-8

Old 12-21-2021, 08:25 AM

4,672 posts, read 4,986,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayei View Post
In the city of Boston, firefighters for one are very unhappy with the new requirements. Something about terminating people willing to run into burning buildings because of a personal medical decision strikes me as very ironic.
"Ironic" is too kind. I'd go with "bereft of humanity."

Old 12-21-2021, 08:29 AM

6,141 posts, read 5,111,368 times
Quote:
More or less ironic than for firefighters, whose job it is to save others, to willingly *endanger* others by being unvaxxed?

Old 12-21-2021, 08:44 AM

337 posts, read 268,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
More or less ironic than for firefighters, whose job it is to save others, to willingly *endanger* others by being unvaxxed?
1) Vaccinated people spread covid as well. Also, the majority certainly don't get tested weekly.

2) Unvaccinated people are the ones most at risk due to their decision. Vaccinated folks benefit from having the protection of... the vaccine.

3) A shortage of firefighters also endangers people.

Old 12-21-2021, 08:48 AM

16,446 posts, read 8,242,983 times
I wonder if the fire fighters always stayed on top of their flu vaccines.

I also know firefighters who tested positive for coke and still kept their jobs. So yes the fact that they are firing fighter fighters who don’t want the vaccine while allowing that does seem pretty ridiculous. I’m sure it makes sense to most people here though

Old 12-21-2021, 08:51 AM

6,141 posts, read 5,111,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I wonder if the fire fighters always stayed on top of their flu vaccines.

I also know firefighters who tested positive for coke and still kept their jobs. So yes the fact that they are firing fighter fighters who don’t want the vaccine while allowing that does seem pretty ridiculous. I’m sure it makes sense to most people here though
^well, if that's true, that's not right either.

Old 12-21-2021, 08:53 AM

23,625 posts, read 18,749,452 times
Quote:
1) Vaccinated people spread covid as well. Also, the majority certainly don't get tested weekly.

2) Unvaccinated people are the ones most at risk due to their decision. Vaccinated folks benefit from having the protection of... the vaccine.

3) A shortage of firefighters also endangers people.

1), 2) Latest numbers I've seen still show an unvaccinated person as FIVE times more likely to get infected than one who is vaccinated. Quit pushing that false talking point that choosing not to get the shot is only affecting that one person.

3) Very few firefighters have refused. Those who did make a big stink about it probably aren't cut out for public service to begin with. If getting poked with a little needle is going to send you into meltdown status, I sure as heck don't see you running into a burning building or treating a bad trauma patient. There are plenty in line willing to fill your shoes.

Old 12-21-2021, 09:02 AM

23,625 posts, read 18,749,452 times
To change the topic slightly, anybody know where one might get a Covid test this week? Don't have a Primary Care in the area and Walgreens/CVS are all grayed out.

Old 12-21-2021, 09:06 AM

15,867 posts, read 21,455,012 times
Quote:

In November of 2020, before vaccines were available, I was helping clean out my 90 year old grandmother's house for her move to independent living when we smelled gas. I called the fire department, and not a single person on the two trucks that showed up wore a mask. I had to ask them to put on a mask and back up when they came over to talk to us, to which they scoffed, and my grandmother had to sit in a running car when I ran around lysoling everything after they left because she didn't feel safe going back into the house. I will never forget how frustrating it was to have the people who are supposed to be helpers refuse to do the bare minimum to keep an old lady safer.

Fire 'em.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts