Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2020, 01:55 PM

2,710 posts, read 1,733,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
You can always rent for 6-9 months and watch the market come back down to reality.
What is reality? Prices from 2012? Demand has been high for years and it doesn't seem to be slowing down anytime soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2020, 02:29 PM

875 posts, read 663,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
However, the success rate if you put your home on the market is still high.
Yeah, i suppose that it what I was looking at .... selfishly, all that interests me really.

I wonder if we will see similar trends for vacation/2nd homes?

Old 05-12-2020, 05:13 PM

12,164 posts, read 8,010,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix5k View Post
What is reality? Prices from 2012? Demand has been high for years and it doesn't seem to be slowing down anytime soon.
Well I guess we will find out in 2021. There is no way prices WONT drop coming out of this recession thats for sure.

Old 05-13-2020, 12:13 AM

2,710 posts, read 1,733,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Well I guess we will find out in 2021. There is no way prices WONT drop coming out of this recession thats for sure.
Depends on the neighborhood. Plenty of areas were not affected much during the 2008-2009 housing crash. Prices only dipped a little bit or stayed flat.

Old 05-13-2020, 05:55 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,139,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix5k View Post
Depends on the neighborhood. Plenty of areas were not affected much during the 2008-2009 housing crash. Prices only dipped a little bit or stayed flat.
People are assuming a repeat of the past, and they may be right. This said, what people fail to acknowledge is what towns stayed near flat during the Great Recession and their growth prior to and post recession.

Somerville saw a very small drop last go ‘round, but has had explosive price growth since. I’m not sure current valuations are as immune as they were a decade+ ago.

Old 05-13-2020, 06:03 AM

7,924 posts, read 7,814,489 times
although it hasn't really been released by The stay or technically official from local governments I'm starting to care about the percentages on the South Shore Halifax has 20% unemployment and outwest Amherst has 54% unemployment. I don't remember *any* small town in Massachusetts that had unemployment rates of 20% or higher in 2008/2009.

What percentage of the mass economy is based off of students? If students aren't coming back in the state of California recently announced that they aren't going back there that's going to have a direct impact on the communities where colleges and universities are regardless of where they are in state. Lowell is going to take a huge hit from umass lowell. Cambridge and Boston have already seen significant hits. College students represent about 20% of Boston's population estimated about a hundred forty thousand people have left.

Students bring money into an economy because you've got this constant age demographic and they're going to shops and restaurants bars and clubs and just spending a fair amount of money in general.

Old 05-13-2020, 06:31 AM

8,545 posts, read 14,025,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawyer2 View Post
Yeah, i suppose that it what I was looking at .... selfishly, all that interests me really.

I wonder if we will see similar trends for vacation/2nd homes?
That's fair. I was trying to take a more broad look at the market because the OP is talking about buying and selling. While they'll likely have a pretty smooth road selling, buying is going to be much more difficult because of the sharp decrease in transaction volume.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
People are assuming a repeat of the past, and they may be right. This said, what people fail to acknowledge is what towns stayed near flat during the Great Recession and their growth prior to and post recession.

Somerville saw a very small drop last go ‘round, but has had explosive price growth since. I’m not sure current valuations are as immune as they were a decade+ ago.
There was some pretty explosive home value growth in the late 90's/early 00's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
although it hasn't really been released by The stay or technically official from local governments I'm starting to care about the percentages on the South Shore Halifax has 20% unemployment and outwest Amherst has 54% unemployment. I don't remember *any* small town in Massachusetts that had unemployment rates of 20% or higher in 2008/2009.
These are clearly unique times. IMO this is why people are so uneasy because it's hard to tell right now exactly how much of an affect this will have on the economy. Those unemployment numbers are staggering. However, the vast majority of businesses that are not allowed to operate right now have laid off the lion's share of their employees. While not every business is sure to reopen when restrictions are lifted, I'm sure many will and they will need to re-hire or hire new in order to operate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
What percentage of the mass economy is based off of students? If students aren't coming back in the state of California recently announced that they aren't going back there that's going to have a direct impact on the communities where colleges and universities are regardless of where they are in state. Lowell is going to take a huge hit from umass lowell. Cambridge and Boston have already seen significant hits. College students represent about 20% of Boston's population estimated about a hundred forty thousand people have left.

Students bring money into an economy because you've got this constant age demographic and they're going to shops and restaurants bars and clubs and just spending a fair amount of money in general.
Couldn't say but clearly this will impact a number of local businesses. I think that loss will be partially offset by all the students who will be staying in MA that otherwise would leave for schools outside the state. I'm curious if all of the student's landlords in the city will start unloading properties.

Personally, I think areas more hard hit will be vacation areas like the Cape and Islands. Vacation spending is always the first thing people cut from their budget when their income shrinks. Plus, some people will be hesitant to be away from home until the virus is more under control or a vaccine is created.

Old 05-13-2020, 06:38 AM

144 posts, read 81,026 times
I think that for now, yes, it's a bit a crazy time to sell. Everyone is trying to save as much money possible, and probably there will be a big crisis in the next few years.

Old 05-13-2020, 06:46 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,139,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post

There was some pretty explosive home value growth in the late 90's/early 00's..
Sure, but from some rather deep troughs. No? Somerville prices remained a relative bargain when I was working in Davis Square circa ‘05-‘06. That has changed significantly.

Old 05-13-2020, 06:49 AM

2,352 posts, read 1,779,566 times
I think it's a great time to sell. It's a bad time to buy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts