Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2020, 05:11 PM

675 posts, read 2,684,750 times

Advertisements

I may have an unpopular opinion here, but I say move back to MA. I am a SoCal transplant (Orange County to Metro West). We moved here in 2000, after college. We have two teens. The public schools are better here, I don't think that is up for debate. We have a nice colonial, with a big yard that we never could have afforded in Irvine, where we lived prior to the move. My husband works in IT, so the Boston area is good work wise. We left CA because we were concerned with crowding,
COL, crime (lots of petty crime in our area, even in a gated community), drought, divisive politics, and some other issues. Moving to MA has been good for us. I miss the SoCal weather, but my kids have loved growing up where there are four true seasons. I miss the beach, but it was alway so crowded that we rarely went. Same with amusement parks, restaurants and other entertainment venues. I will also say, don't underestimate the value of being near family, especially with kids. My kids didn't grow up near their grandparents, cousins, or aunt and uncles. That was probably the biggest drawback in our decision to move. I'm happy to answer any questions the OP may have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2020, 05:48 PM

425 posts, read 647,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Because this would just be a clear step down in QOL. It’s not hard to see. I said this to the last period in here looking at coastal ma vs San Diego..we all did.
I strongly disagree. It's not a "step down", it's just different. 99% of the people who contemplate moving from SoCal to Mass have some family connection or grew up in Mass and it's just working through family considerations on such a big move.

QoL with kids is just a different ball game. For example when we lived in Lincoln, the school bus at our front door was just a breeze vs here in San Diego where we have to drive and pickup kids from multiple schools and deal with the traffic and congestion. Also because of overcrowding you sometimes end up zoned for schools that are pretty freaking far from your house. If our kids go to high school in San Diego they will be going to these massive district schools which concern us vs say your local town high school back in Mass. QoL is often associated with weather but with COVID changing the work environment so many people will be working from home which is huge. I hated my commute into Kendall but if WFH was a viable option, it def makes QoL far better.

COL in the pricey metro west is pretty similar to the nicer burbs in San Diego. We don't have massive heating bills but electricity is expensive running the AC all the time, gas is pricier...it's really San Fran where housing is ridiculous. Heck I never go to the beach..that stereotype if pretty overrated. So for just raising kids in a good town, living in decent house, and having some reasonable work arrangements which is what the OP really is asking about, I think it's a good option vs San Diego. But really it's only a good option if you actually grew up in Mass. because all the other factors will drive you bonkers.

Old 10-17-2020, 07:31 PM

2,353 posts, read 1,780,522 times
I would def not be making housing decisions in general thinking you will be able to WFH.

Old 10-17-2020, 07:52 PM

6,808 posts, read 6,045,258 times
Bugs? I never thought of bugs as being a drawback of living in MA.

Old 10-17-2020, 10:56 PM

12,168 posts, read 8,014,676 times
I rather die than live out in SoCal.

In every metric out there besides Diversity and maybe Nightlife, MA trumps SoCa. My biggest turnoff were the wannabe rich people. The pretentious attitudes for no good reason at all.

I only know like two people who went out to LA. Both left and went back to either Manhattan or Boston.

SoCal is like NYC. great to visit. Terrible to live in. I have a cousin who lives out in San Diego, she loves it, but she says absolutely not to raising kids out there. Shell definitely be moving back to either MA NY NJ CT MD so the kids can get a Propper experience. I'm sorry, but people from CA come off as self centered, pretentious and condescending.

For some reason I met the most CA transplants in Florida, and while I don't like Florida all that well as it's not for me but can see why some like it... The people from CA who moved to FL by choice always had to put FL down every chance they got. Same here in NJ. Same in MA. I just don't get it. Ironically, all from LA and San Diego

I'm close to 25 and lived in 6 states now and find that people from CA are just the worst

Last edited by masssachoicetts; 10-17-2020 at 11:50 PM..

Old 10-17-2020, 11:33 PM

100 posts, read 80,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
Bugs? I never thought of bugs as being a drawback of living in MA.
Then you have not lived the mosquito-free life! My #1 favorite perk of SoCal. Hiking? Outside at dusk in balmy weather? Not a care in the world.

I guess I’m going to be that annoying person talking about SoCal....for mosquitos. I mean who can argue that one.

Last edited by stuckbetween; 10-18-2020 at 12:56 AM..

Old 10-18-2020, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2KidsforMe View Post
I may have an unpopular opinion here, but I say move back to MA. I am a SoCal transplant (Orange County to Metro West). We moved here in 2000, after college. We have two teens. The public schools are better here, I don't think that is up for debate. We have a nice colonial, with a big yard that we never could have afforded in Irvine, where we lived prior to the move. My husband works in IT, so the Boston area is good work wise. We left CA because we were concerned with crowding,
COL, crime (lots of petty crime in our area, even in a gated community), drought, divisive politics, and some other issues. Moving to MA has been good for us. I miss the SoCal weather, but my kids have loved growing up where there are four true seasons. I miss the beach, but it was alway so crowded that we rarely went. Same with amusement parks, restaurants and other entertainment venues. I will also say, don't underestimate the value of being near family, especially with kids. My kids didn't grow up near their grandparents, cousins, or aunt and uncles. That was probably the biggest drawback in our decision to move. I'm happy to answer any questions the OP may have.
Thanks, this is quite a unique perspective! We don’t hear of your kind out here. The family thing is a big draw but also bittersweet since my kids only cousins / spouse’s sister is here. Either way we’re missing out on someone.

But anyhow, the crowding is definitely annoying, I was wondering if it is also getting crowded out there in metrowest? I hear the traffic is now much more horrible than years back, does that make schlepping around to kid activities or even just to school more difficult and annoying or not so bad within town?

Do you have a particular town to recommend?

Oh, and do/did your kids get good use out of that huge yard? What’s considered a “huge” yard out here is a pitiful postage stamp even in the burbs...there’s so much dense sprawl. I have visions of yard space but my husband is skeptical...

Old 10-18-2020, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
I have a cousin who lives out in San Diego, she loves it, but she says absolutely not to raising kids out there. Shell definitely be moving back to either MA NY NJ CT MD so the kids can get a Propper experience. I'm sorry, but people from CA come off as self centered, pretentious and condescending.
Not that I disagree with her, but did she say why she thought raising kids there is a no go? I could understand LA but so many people are convinced San Diego is family paradise.

I gotta laugh at the gripes about the people. You’re not the first northeasterner who’s expressed that. I haven’t had the same experience but there are millions upon millions (upon millions) of people here and it’s all up to which circles you land in.

Old 10-18-2020, 04:55 AM

609 posts, read 349,856 times
Of course CA is beautiful. I visited NoCal and LA. I did not like it at all. My radar was on alot in LA. People sleeping in company entrance ways. Traffic has to be double that of Boston. LA still has something in the air, not that thick smog anymore but some reminisce of it. The heat was constant and unbearable. You can have it.

If I leave Boston at retirement. It will not be Florida or CA. Rift raft is everywhere. Plus, by that time I will be too old to protect myself. Since I closed with that note, I guess I better make plans for Greenland then.

Old 10-18-2020, 07:45 AM

363 posts, read 514,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckbetween View Post
I left MA for SoCal in my mid-20s and now after 15 years I’m considering moving my family back there, which to me still feels like “home”. We visit a couple times a year but that’s not the same as being there or being near my extended family. I might clarify that I didn’t leave because I wanted to get out of MA, there were some other factors.

I’m looking for what others experiences have been coming to MA from SoCal. Unfortunately so far the internet thinks that returning would be a terrible life-ruining mistake - based on other’s opinions or stories I have read about, even here. I still remain hopeful and refuse to be convinced or heed these warnings. So, being stubborn, I’m looking for even more data.

Does anyone have experiences to share? Be honest!
Oh DO NOT COME BACK!! I just did in March of this year after over 14 years in Los Angeles, and it's been constant misery every since. I cannot wait to go back to SoCal.

Visiting is not the same as living in a place, not by a long shot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts