Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2020, 12:06 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,020,538 times

Advertisements

To the OP.

I have commented on your other thread regarding your move, so I won't repeat my comments here, but just want to add one perspective specific to Massachusetts.

SOmeone wisely mentioned not relying on your good memories from years ago to influence your decision. I agree.

Think of it this way: when you left, life went on for everyone. You aren't the same person from 5/10/20/++ years ago and neither are the people who remained in MA and never left. It seems self-explanatory but I think it's worth repeating.

So contemplating a return with a full family and leaving behind a lot of history can be like stepping off a moving treadmill and onto another moving treadmill...life didn't stop when you were gone. I say from experience that this was something it took me a while (too long, TBH) to let sink in.

I'll be honest with my opinion here: it may help your transition to find a town or general area where there are a lot of other transplants, people who have accumulated a variety of experiences before they landed in Mass.

As the years go by (I'm on year 22 of living in SoCal after more than that in Mass.) I've consistently found people who never left Mass. (or who think that a 7-day Caribbean cruise means they have) are boring, uncurious, and leery of "outsiders." It got worse with age in my experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2020, 12:09 PM

363 posts, read 514,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Very little of this passes the sniff test, I hope you are partially joking here.

Now your credibility has gone down even further.
Not joking at all. Yes BH is 35 miles from Dland. IDK what you're getting at. I'm sure you can work Google Maps.

Old 10-18-2020, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kembro71 View Post
to the op.

I have commented on your other thread regarding your move, so i won't repeat my comments here, but just want to add one perspective specific to massachusetts.

Someone wisely mentioned not relying on your good memories from years ago to influence your decision. I agree.

Think of it this way: When you left, life went on for everyone. You aren't the same person from 5/10/20/++ years ago and neither are the people who remained in ma and never left. It seems self-explanatory but i think it's worth repeating.

So contemplating a return with a full family and leaving behind a lot of history can be like stepping off a moving treadmill and onto another moving treadmill...life didn't stop when you were gone. I say from experience that this was something it took me a while (too long, tbh) to let sink in.

I'll be honest with my opinion here: It may help your transition to find a town or general area where there are a lot of other transplants, people who have accumulated a variety of experiences before they landed in mass.

As the years go by (i'm on year 22 of living in socal after more than that in mass.) i've consistently found people who never left mass. (or who think that a 7-day caribbean cruise means they have) are boring, uncurious, and leery of "outsiders." it got worse with age in my experience.
this
<3

Old 10-18-2020, 12:20 PM

23,570 posts, read 18,672,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5pyg1a55 View Post
Not joking at all. Yes BH is 35 miles from Dland. IDK what you're getting at. I'm sure you can work Google Maps.
For one Northborough is not a "village" (it's a town), nor is it the boonies. It's (leafy) suburbia to the core. Your other post, I do not even know where to begin.

Old 10-18-2020, 12:28 PM

Quote:
For one Northborough is not a "village" (it's a town), nor is it the boonies. It's (leafy) suburbia to the core. Your other post, I do not even know where to begin.
It is definitely the Boonies, compared to Los Angeles, San Diego, and anything west of the 128/95 circle, where I spent most of my early life in Massachusetts. I spirited away to Los Angels when I was 21, never thought I would come back.

Northborough is a village. It has a one street strip of a few shops they call a 'downtown'. Same with the neighboring villages. It's miles drive to anything worth seeing or doing. It's even miles drive from a f'n post office or any basic retail. And a hike from Boston. It is total Boonies. Check your head, dude!

'leafy suburbia' to me brings to mind Salem or Marblehead or Beverly. Some South Shore towns. This is legit Boonies.

Old 10-18-2020, 12:30 PM

100 posts, read 80,008 times
Quote:
Please, explain more on tour disagreement. I’m gathering experiences and the mosquito thing is freaking me out a bit BUT I also know enough not to sit on a MA porch in the evening. I know I can handle it but I’m worried for my spouse and one of my kids who are mosquito magnets.

Re: town classification, SoCal is so, so, so, so urban that I see where spyglass is coming from. It’s a perspective thing.

Last edited by stuckbetween; 10-18-2020 at 12:46 PM..

Old 10-18-2020, 12:31 PM

100 posts, read 80,008 times
Anyone have ideas of which towns in metrowest will have a lot of transplants? We are definitely comfortable socially in transplant land.

Old 10-18-2020, 12:49 PM

6,806 posts, read 6,029,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckbetween View Post
Then you have not lived the mosquito-free life! My #1 favorite perk of SoCal. Hiking? Outside at dusk in balmy weather? Not a care in the world.
Huh. I guess it’s never really bothered me. I got a handful of bites this year, but they only itch for a day or two. Did the state get any eee cases in 2020? I didn’t hear about them like I usually do. Guess everyone was too busy worrying about covid.

Anyway, I believe we have the technology to get rid of mosquitos. So, maybe that’ll happen at some point.

Quote:
Now your credibility has gone down even further.
I generally dislike Negative Nancies, but I do agree with that poster about Northborough being “the boonies”. It seems like some people in rural/suburban MA don’t even realize that they lack amenities. I was visiting a family friend in Harvard earlier this summer. We decided to get pizza, and my friend got in his car, saying “I’ll be back in an hour or so”. I suggested we get delivery instead of him driving all that way. He laughed.

Last edited by Boston Shudra; 10-18-2020 at 12:58 PM..

Old 10-18-2020, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckbetween View Post
Please, explain more. I’m gathering experiences and the mosquito thing is freaking me out a bit BUT I also know enough not to sit on a MA porch in the evening. I know I can handle it but I’m worried for my spouse and one of my kids who are mosquito magnets.
Sitting on a porch for an evening, avoiding bugs, it is intuitive. When one is in a strange land, you tend to follow what the locals do, to fit in. If that doesn't work, you find something else, but it can have real repercussions here.

Best thing would be to fashion some sort of screened-in porch. Barring that, the DEET spray is most effective, according to Consumer Reports. Citronella is basically quakery, along with the 'natural' stuff like lavender oil spray. Tried them all.

So I grew up on the sea, and there's MUCH less bugs along the seacoast. In fact this is the furthest from the ocean I have ever lived. Previously, the furthest from the ocean I'd ever lived was Beverly Hills, and that was 8 miles away from the ocean.

This/ Metrowest is the boonies- middle of the woods, basically, dotted by strip malls every several miles, and industrial complexes. As you know, bugs will be more prominent where there's lakes and ponds and wetlands instead of ocean. But it's similar in New Hampshire and other wooded/ Boonie areas.

I thought I could handle it, too... till I got here, and realized I am not acclimated to this climate -both natural and social- at all.

Old 10-18-2020, 01:02 PM

12,159 posts, read 7,985,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5pyg1a55 View Post
I don't think anyone is saying your experiences are not valid. You have no experience with living/working
in southern California, so that would be outside your experience. Lack of experience in the place and in general - I think- is what was being alluded to.

LA is very hard to 'hack at'. More so than most cities, possibly even more difficult than New York City, depending on one's situation. WAY harder than Greater Boston. Boston proper is no picnic, either, but definitely not as hard as LA or SD.

Where in CA did you have an opportunity? CA is a big place. And why did you not take advantage?
I had the opportunity to move to either San Diego or just east of San Fransisco area (Walnut Creek if your familiar).. I went to LA, hated the people. San Diego was gorgeous but I can't see myself living there. Could I visit? Absolutely. But the pace was way too slow and there were two seasons. Summer and Super Summer. No thanks. San Francisco area is just absurdly expnesive and with a salary of 70k I'd be literally poor. I'd have to live towards Sacramento which is a huge decrease QOL.

Overall, my impressions of Northern California are generally better than SoCal. I like it better. SoCal is a car centric disaster with rude people and a much slower vibe. I hated that.

My types of environments are Boston, DC and areas around NYC .. I don't like theSoCal experience. I like the weather, the transit accessibility in Boston, and people I met in Mass. I like the quality of amenities too. I just can't see living in CA. Vacation? Absolutely. Live? Nein
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts