Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2020, 07:55 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,022,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post

i'm close to 25 and lived in 6 states now and find that people from ca are just the worst
lol.

You're barely an adult, and have lived in 6 states EXCEPT Calif. and are basing your rant on expats you met elsewhere? Expats who couldn't hack living in SoCal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2020, 08:20 AM

363 posts, read 514,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckbetween View Post
Then you have not lived the mosquito-free life! My #1 favorite perk of SoCal. Hiking? Outside at dusk in balmy weather? Not a care in the world.

I guess I’m going to be that annoying person talking about SoCal....for mosquitos. I mean who can argue that one.

This summer, I seriously wished I didn't exist most days. The humidity was so oppressive, I couldn't do much most days. Even with a/c, the air was so oppressive, I couldn't do simple stuff like sweep or mop or climb stairs without being completely covered in sweat.

One evening just sitting on a porch for a few hours, I had 48 mosquito bites *just from my knees down. And yes, I used lot of mosquito repellant, the DEET stuff that supposedly actually works, too.

I fear the incoming winter, and the snow shoveling, scraping ice and snow off your car just to get out, snowstorms, black ice/ snow driving, power outages (there's already been a few here-- I'd totally forgot about outages before coming back as I hadn't experienced even one in LA), chapped skin, bundling up & having to carry coat/scarf/gloves everywhere. I could go on...

Also someone mentioned not moving based on memories- 100% true. Yes the being close to family stuff might be significant to some folks with kids, but I think the costs outweigh the benefits. You already visit often, just as well.

San Diego FTW.
My uncle has lived in Del Mar for 35 years (also a Mass native, his wife's from Palo Alto). Carlsbad is also nice and great for families. Huntington Beach along the LA/OC border, San Marino and Rancho Palos Verdes all have excellent schools (as do a lot of towns around Northern CA, some better than any MA public schools), great for families.

Old 10-18-2020, 10:41 AM

100 posts, read 80,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5pyg1a55 View Post
One evening just sitting on a porch for a few hours, I had 48 mosquito bites *just from my knees down. And yes, I used lot of mosquito repellant, the DEET stuff that supposedly actually works, too.
That is horrifying! Where are you located?

Old 10-18-2020, 11:25 AM

12,166 posts, read 8,014,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KemBro71 View Post
lol.

You're barely an adult, and have lived in 6 states EXCEPT Calif. and are basing your rant on expats you met elsewhere? Expats who couldn't hack living in SoCal?
No offense, but if someone did very well in SoCal and decided they wanted to move back to the East Coast (NYC, DC, Boston) areas that are a lot harder to "hack" than La or SD... Why does that make their experiences any less valid?

I have the opportunity to move to California and I have decided not to go with it for said reasons.

Old 10-18-2020, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KemBro71 View Post
lol.

No kidding lmfao

Old 10-18-2020, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
No offense, but if someone did very well in SoCal and decided they wanted to move back to the East Coast (NYC, DC, Boston) areas that are a lot harder to "hack" than La or SD... Why does that make their experiences any less valid?

I have the opportunity to move to California and I have decided not to go with it for said reasons.
I don't think anyone is saying your experiences are not valid. You have no experience with living/working
in southern California, so that would be outside your experience. Lack of experience in the place and in general - I think- is what was being alluded to.

LA is very hard to 'hack at'. More so than most cities, possibly even more difficult than New York City, depending on one's situation. WAY harder than Greater Boston. Boston proper is no picnic, either, but definitely not as hard as LA or SD.

Where in CA did you have an opportunity? CA is a big place. And why did you not take advantage?

Old 10-18-2020, 11:44 AM

Quote:
In a small village about 35 miles west of Boston called 'Northborough'. It's the boonies.
(for scale, Beverly Hills to Disneyland is ~35 miles).

Old 10-18-2020, 11:50 AM

23,565 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
This summer, I seriously wished I didn't exist most days. The humidity was so oppressive, I couldn't do much most days. Even with a/c, the air was so oppressive, I couldn't do simple stuff like sweep or mop or climb stairs without being completely covered in sweat.

I fear the incoming winter, and the snow shoveling, scraping ice and snow off your car just to get out, snowstorms, black ice/ snow driving, power outages (there's already been a few here-- I'd totally forgot about outages before coming back as I hadn't experienced even one in LA), chapped skin, bundling up & having to carry coat/scarf/gloves everywhere. I could go on...
Very little of this passes the sniff test, I hope you are partially joking here.
Quote:
In a small village about 35 miles west of Boston called 'Northborough'. It's the boonies.
(for scale, Beverly Hills to Disneyland is ~35 miles).
Now your credibility has gone down even further.

Old 10-18-2020, 11:55 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,022,994 times
Quote:
I don't think anyone is saying your experiences are not valid. You have no experience with living/working
in southern California, so that would be outside your experience. Lack of experience in the place and in general - I think- is what was being alluded to.
Yes.

Old 10-18-2020, 12:04 PM

Quote:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MetroWest
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts